Bolt on turbo kit (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my Turbo today!!!

View attachment 2560048

I think I could have gotten it way back in 2019, as I pre-ordered on day 1 of public sales, but I kept pushing my shipping date back because I wasn't ready to install, and I would have happily waited longer. Just got my smog renewal notice though, so this seems like good timing! After the smog, I'll have 2 years for the CARB cert to get sorted out.

Only small hiccup was the shipping address, which I had as my work, but the office has been closed due to the pandemic, so I wanted it shipped to my home, but I think Joey forgot that part between our call and making the shipping labels. I was able to get UPS to hold the shipment for pick-up at the local depot, or so I thought. Turns out there were three separate tracking numbers, as opposed to 1 master tracking number (I had only received 1 tracking number in my shipping email for some reason), so UPS attempted delivery at the closed office with the other 2 boxes and left an info notice. Luckily, a co-worker had stopped by the office that day and sent me a photo of the info notice. But of course, the UPS driver didn't bother to scan in the info notice, so the info notice was rather useless (other than giving me a head's up that there might be separate tracking numbers).

Got to UPS this morning and they only had the one box ready for me, and they claimed there were no packages on the truck going to my office, either today or yesterday! But Joey came through with the other 2 tracking numbers while I was still at UPS, and after a bit of searching, UPS found the other 2 packages (on the truck they claimed had no packages going to my office...).

Hopefully, there will be more turbos shipping soon, but more importantly, hoping Joey's wife gets better!

View attachment 2560045
Congrats dude. 😁

excellent on just getting smogged.

I’m post 3 months smog being due.
please Joey post an update on SMOG certification.

in Cali, after 6 month of no smog my rig is due to be impounded if I don’t get it smogged.

Congrats dude. 😁

in Cali, after 6 month of no smog my rig is due to be impounded if I don’t get it smogged.
Why not get it slogged now and your in the clear for a while? Did you already install the kit?

Congrats dude. 😁

Congrats dude. 😁

I wouldn’t expect CARB cert anytime soon. If you live in California, better get used to disassembly and reassembly as soon as possible. It may just make you a better mechanic. In any case, Joey’s been hit hard by Covid, otherwise I’m sure this would all be past tense.

Why not get it slogged now and your in the clear for a while? Did you already install the kit?
I installed it a year before my smog was due last November. I figured that would be plenty-I-time.
but then COVID & cancer screwed up Joeys life.
im going to remain patient, but I would like to hear from Jody regarding the subject & projected timeline.

I installed it a year before my smog was due last November. I figured that would be plenty-I-time.
but then COVID & cancer screwed up Joeys life.
im going to remain patient, but I would like to hear from Jody regarding the subject & projected timeline.
If it were me and given your tight deadline I'd just change it back to stock, for a little risk big win scenario....don't do it and it could get complicated fast...little win big risk scenario. Look at it this way, you take care of it now you got another 2 years for carb cert

More complicated than that.
I didn’t see the need for the stock components ( down tube y-pipe, intake tube, etc.). Those have gone by the way side. I’m pretty committed to the current turbo set up now.

I didn’t see the need for the stock components ( down tube y-pipe, intake tube, etc.). Those have gone by the way side. I’m pretty committed to the current turbo set up now.

You need to move to another state.

Why not run it through and see what happens :hillbilly:

It'll fail the visual. But, there are shops that will pass the visual for a cash payment...
Yeah, I’ve heard $200 at the right shop with right equipment can get your Turbo 80 to pass the smog test.

+$150 seems like a no-brainer to save the time.

Polling turbo owners - what did everyone do for gauges? I've been driving sans gauges (other than the stock ones) for a few weeks now and would like to monitor boost, etc.

I know I need boost and would like to have oil temp. Any advantage to one of those fancy wideband options? Also, anyone have A-pillar pod options? I read about something from an Acura maybe fitting - any other thoughts?

Polling turbo owners - what did everyone do for gauges? I've been driving sans gauges (other than the stock ones) for a few weeks now and would like to monitor boost, etc.

I know I need boost and would like to have oil temp. Any advantage to one of those fancy wideband options? Also, anyone have A-pillar pod options? I read about something from an Acura maybe fitting - any other thoughts?
I did the 14 in one gauge system from Australia, Just Race Parts (JRP). There is a thread on here about what everyone is doing for gauges with the turbo system.

I am working on a 3D printed HVAC/Clock bezel that would eliminate the clock and contain the display for this.

In case you missed this thread:

Question for the smart guys - I'm running Joey's turbo kit, along with the 14-in-1 gauge, the multi gauge base pack and the spartan 2 wide band controller. All of which came from justraceparts.com. Yesterday I dove into the gauge readout options and now can view the AFR - thats my issue. As of last night the AFR is reading 15 (@ idle) and then climbs to 16.7 on a short drive. I'm concerned. In my research I decided to clean the MAF and the intake air filter in hopes that would get the reading back down to 14.7 and that did not happen. I've been reading that when in boost some of your AFR readings go lower than 14.7. I cannot even achieve 14.7. I texted with @NLXTACY for some ideas and he was good to throw out some areas to consider: Fuel pump, Fuel Filter, Injectors, MAF.

I replaced everything minus the head (that was redone) the MAF and the intake plume. The engine is a new OEM short block with all new OEM components about 6000-8000 miles ago. I'm seeking advice pertaining my AFR readings in hopes to find a solution (s).
thank you

I have an email into dave @ justraceparts to understand what the process is for baselining the oxygen sensor is or if that is needed. That is something I did not do.
perhaps that could be part of this.

Last edited:
Question for the smart guys - I'm running Joey's turbo kit, along with the 14-in-1 gauge, the multi gauge base pack and the spartan 2 wide band controller. All of which came from justraceparts.com. Yesterday I dove into the gauge readout options and now can view the AFR - thats my issue. As of last night the AFR is reading 15 (@ idle) and then climbs to 16.7 on a short drive. I'm concerned. In my research I decided to clean the MAF and the intake air filter in hopes that would get the reading back down to 14.7 and that did not happen. I've been reading that when in boost some of your AFR readings go lower than 14.7. I cannot even achieve 14.7. I texted with @NLXTACY for some ideas and he was good to throw out some areas to consider: Fuel pump, Fuel Filter, Injectors, MAF.

I replaced everything minus the head (that was redone) the MAF and the intake plume. The engine is a new OEM short block with all new OEM components about 6000-8000 miles ago. I'm seeking advice pertaining my AFR readings in hopes to find a solution (s).
thank you
Firstly. When was the last time you pulled the battery or EFI fuse? Cause if you haven't driven on it. It's still learning the driving parameters after a fresh reset. I would say wait 200-500 miles before it will learn the parameters. Also if it's a new build, take it easy so it breaks in properly too.

Then I would check everything that Joey mentioned. Cause it seems your not getting enough fuel.

Edit: Re-read your post. Ok so it's been rebuolt 6k ago and you installed Turbo how long ago? When you installed the Turbo, did you pull the EFI/batt? You should do that so it can re-learn the new driving/operating params. Then wait 200-500 so it can actually learn.

If you didn't pull the EFI/Batt, then my guess is the ECU thinks you need less fuel than with the new Turbo setup!

Firstly. When was the last time you pulled the battery or EFI fuse? Cause if you haven't driven on it. It's still learning the driving parameters after a fresh reset. I would say wait 200-500 miles before it will learn the parameters. Also if it's a new build, take it easy so it breaks in properly too.

Then I would check everything that Joey mentioned. Cause it seems your not getting enough fuel.
I pulled the battery about a month ago for a lighting project. The turbo went on the new engine after I had put 200 miles on it. after that I drove 4616 miles from KY to CA and back to run the Rubicon trail. are you saying since I disconnect the MAF to clean last night it or just in general since the engine replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom