Bolt on turbo kit (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what might be needed is a bloody mary for joey this morning from whomever is local to him.

Last edited:
Man, this sucks. Joey, after Cruise Moab, you're more than welcome to use my truck. '96 130K miles all the maintenance is up to date.

The plan moving forward:

Although the ICON 80 is totaled, the truck won’t be back at SEMA Garage for a few days. At that time I will be able to assess the damage, if any, to the turbo kit and remove any/all of the components. I know nothing of the damage or the accident so asking LITERALLY ANY questions about it will simply be ignored because I am not going to discuss it nor am I going to offer up any public opinion or asinine assumptions. I don’t know yet so don’t ask. At this point I also don’t care, I just want the product done.

I have zero choice but to move forward to complete this project and make customers whole. This means that regardless of what ultimately happens between Dylan and SEMA in regards to his truck, I will now be working to secure another 80 Series to be used for testing and fitment purposes. This will save me a lot of time but it will also remove a level of liability of utilizing another customer’s vehicle. Although I GREATLY appreciate all of the offers to use your personal 80s to conduct the testing, I have to say no. I need to just suck it up and purchase another 80.

I have cancelled the large order of turbos and waste-gates because the timing of everything is a huge unknown and I honestly cannot sit on that much money in inventory and have it sit for potentially months. It will financially ruin me. So I have set it up to order the turbos and waste gates in batches of 5. The downer is this eliminates any/all profit coming out of this endeavor. Although I have had two orders come in since announcing the dyno numbers, I have also received two refund requests after announcing the accident. I do not fault their decision. But, anyone considering a refund at this time due to the current unknown factors of this project, please pull the band-aid now so that I know the funds I have to work with. Again, I understand the decision but please get the pain over with so I can plan.

Unfortunately the entire testing procedure must start from square one. All of the previous testing was obviously done on Dylan’s rig and therefore cannot be used for acquired data moving forward. The condition and modification of a “new to me” 80 is totally unknown but whatever its status it will be tested AS IS. I will not have the time nor the funds to build it up to any expectations of “real world” build. If its bone stock with 275s, running boards and a WAAG bumper, well guess what? That's how it’s going to get tested.

The plan is to actually locate and purchase a 95-97 OBD2 80 Series that is HOPEFULLY not a pile of s***. Since I am buying this and it’s getting the turbo, I’ve decided to keep this in the Wits’ End stable so this will be the “event truck” or simply the customer facing turbo truck. If anyone has a line on a relatively clean 80 please let me know. I need to secure it ASAP. It can be grandmother stock or it can be built, I have zero preference so long as it doesn’t look like a pile of s*** that just happens to pass smog.

While the “to be determined” truck is being tested for the primary phase of CARB testing, I will be removing all of the turbo components from the ICON 80 and using that time to have the pipe shop to productize the final three pipes needed to complete the kit: downpipe and two intake pipes.

Once the truck is done testing on the primary stage I will pick it and and start installing all of the components I already have: oil lines, J-pipe, turbo, waste-gate, vacuum lines, etc. Once the pipe shop has finished the jigs for the three pieces I will collect those prototypes back from them and use them to finish the build on the new to me 80. From there, once I’m happy with the results and everything looks good and nothing is leaking…it will then go back to SEMA where it will undergo final testing for CARB certification.

I will be sleeping in the back seat the entire time to make sure no tries to be an a****** with the truck.

Joey. You, sir, are a stand up guy.

The plan moving forward:

Although the ICON 80 is totaled, the truck won’t be back at SEMA Garage for a few days. At that time I will be able to assess the damage, if any, to the turbo kit and remove any/all of the components. I know nothing of the damage or the accident so asking LITERALLY ANY questions about it will simply be ignored because I am not going to discuss it nor am I going to offer up any public opinion or asinine assumptions. I don’t know yet so don’t ask. At this point I also don’t care, I just want the product done.

I have zero choice but to move forward to complete this project and make customers whole. This means that regardless of what ultimately happens between Dylan and SEMA in regards to his truck, I will now be working to secure another 80 Series to be used for testing and fitment purposes. This will save me a lot of time but it will also remove a level of liability of utilizing another customer’s vehicle. Although I GREATLY appreciate all of the offers to use your personal 80s to conduct the testing, I have to say no. I need to just suck it up and purchase another 80.

I have cancelled the large order of turbos and waste-gates because the timing of everything is a huge unknown and I honestly cannot sit on that much money in inventory and have it sit for potentially months. It will financially ruin me. So I have set it up to order the turbos and waste gates in batches of 5. The downer is this eliminates any/all profit coming out of this endeavor. Although I have had two orders come in since announcing the dyno numbers, I have also received two refund requests after announcing the accident. I do not fault their decision. But, anyone considering a refund at this time due to the current unknown factors of this project, please pull the band-aid now so that I know the funds I have to work with. Again, I understand the decision but please get the pain over with so I can plan.

Unfortunately the entire testing procedure must start from square one. All of the previous testing was obviously done on Dylan’s rig and therefore cannot be used for

While the “to be determined” truck is being tested for the primary phase of CARB testing, I will be removing all of the turbo components from the ICON 80 and using that time to have the pipe shop to productize thes, J-pipe, turbo, waste-gate, vacuum lines, etc. Once the pipe shop has finished the jigs for the three pieces I will collect those prototypes back from them and use them to finish the build on the new to me 80. From there, once I’m happy with the results and everything looks good and nothing is leaking…it will then go

Just a thought, what about doing a non refundable deposit of $2000-3000, to firm up commitments, and allow committed cash in to help? I know I would put the full amount in now, but am waiting for some pesky clients to pay their bills.

Hi guys.

I think Joey deserves a lot of appreciation for all the time, effort, OCD efforts for perfection, & now the devistating news of starting SEMA testing again from square-one; including having to buy another rig.

This appreciation goes for all of his products for the Landcruisers, not just the turbo.

I decided to go the the Wits End website & went shopping for stuff I liked, needed, or thought was a good thing to have. 😁

I looked through all his products. I found all kinds of do-dads & products that were cool & clever. Joey even has a “prison shank” for sale. 😂

I’ll be making a $400 purchase today to show my appreciation. I figured it was the least I could do.

Joey-I’m going to send you a PM later today with a wiring/electrical question for something I purchasing today to mate with electrical for the OBA manifold. 🙂

Someone more tech savvy than me should start a GOFUNDME for the soon to be acquired new turbo truck. I have bought quite a few things from Joey's site and am not in need of anything right now. Additionally, I'm sure clean $$ will benefit him more than product purchases. Joey is a class act so I don't expect him to ever ask for something like this, but this project benefits all of us to see what the 1FZ can really do long term. Even if we don't end up with a sh*tload of $$ at the end of it, something is better than nothing. If someone creates a link, I will certainly be donating something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom