Bolt-On 80 Rear Bumper Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Website
www.cruisercampers.com
Thread to post photos of my LX450 Rear Bumper build. The design is evolving as the project progresses.

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

View attachment 1504626

IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

I like where you're going with this.......

Will there be more bolts than the 4 on the face?

I like where you're going with this.......

Will there be more bolts than the 4 on the face?

Hi, thanks bolt4me! In addition to the 4 bolts on the face, there will be a bracket and 4 bolts on each side to the frame where the recovery points attach, and also wing brackets between the sides and frame that bolt on for extra support.

Loving it so far. That is exactly what I was thinking for my LX. I have a buddy that runs a 4x4 fab shop and I think I'm going to have him make me something similar.

I'm not crazy with the aftermarket selection for these rigs. Most are strong as hell but uglier than a deformed duck, or they cost as much as another cruiser, or both.

Loving it so far. That is exactly what I was thinking for my LX. I have a buddy that runs a 4x4 fab shop and I think I'm going to have him make me something similar.

I'm not crazy with the aftermarket selection for these rigs. Most are strong as hell but uglier than a deformed duck, or they cost as much as another cruiser, or both.

With any luck I'll be doing a batch of 4 next time and be offering this on the market by Christmas time, keep you're eye out. As the details come together I'll post them.

Sub'd

This might make me rethink my earlier dismissal of the rear bumper idea. I like that it bolts on and you don't have to cut the old frame off.
I agree. Spare tire carrier?

I agree. Spare tire carrier?
That would be the main reason for me. I may start a thread soon entitled "Don't look at my butt!". I have a little body work that has to happen on that cancer loving corner under the gas tank filler neck. I figure it's probably 50/50 that I get the whole rear bumper assembly off the truck in pieces that can be re-installed. Once it's off, it would be nice to weld in new body sections and just go back in with something like this, rather than put the stock stuff back on. The one thing I still kind of want is a mud flap though. The salty slush doesn't need any more help than it already gets.

That would be the main reason for me. I may start a thread soon entitled "Don't look at my butt!". I have a little body work that has to happen on that cancer loving corner under the gas tank filler neck. I figure it's probably 50/50 that I get the whole rear bumper assembly off the truck in pieces that can be re-installed. Once it's off, it would be nice to weld in new body sections and just go back in with something like this, rather than put the stock stuff back on. The one thing I still kind of want is a mud flap though. The salty slush doesn't need any more help than it already gets.
Come west, young man. Join us in the salt free dryness.

Just got back from 5 days wheeling and camping and its so nice to hear positive feedback on the styling of the rear bumper.

Wanted to run the bumper on the truck for the trip so I applied a couple coats of MavGuard and hit the road with it as-is. Here are some photos of the bumper enjoying the Eastern Sierras and White Mountains.

Next steps are boxing in the corners, trimming any excess, adding the spindle, swing out tire/jerry carrier, etc.

In the not too distant future, this bumper will be offered (in small batches) to others who are looking for a rear tire carrier/bumper that costs less than the current major offerings and is unique and stylish, strong, 100% bolt-on, and not excessive in weight.

IMG_6106.JPG

IMG_6107.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6631.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom