Bob's roof rack thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would go with the JCR if you want to buy the mounts, but if you are planning on making the rack, why not just make the mounts based off the JCR ones. It's just plate and a nut welded to the inside plate.

I would not want the quick-n-easys as I just wouldn't want to trust that cam lock versus a bolted system...especially wheeling through dense bush where a branch might catch the cam lock and open it up.

I take it you mean to use 0.063 wall ERW ;) as that 0.63 wall tube would actually be solid bar :D

Now that rack mount is a game changer!

attachment.php

Wow ... Looks like a delta-wing Stealth fighter ... A STEALTH MOUNT!

I'll be at the swap. Wanna see these in person

cruiserstuff are you planning to be a vendor? Hey do you remember me (sorry for the hijack) I was gonna buy your 80. sorry I missed that one!

Just got a shocker. The tent I was basing this rack on is the standard Mombassa RTT. The tent I ended up with is a Mombassa Adventure II. So the base dimensions are 71x45 in closed (71x90 open). The Tent is 440 square feet of floor space. THAT'S HUGE (standard is 50x45 or 50 x 90 open, that's an extra 13 sq feet of room in the tent)! Heck, that's pretty much Bob's entire roof! Doubled!

Glad I have not put the front "luggage" portion of the rack on yet! I'll barely have room for lights! I only made the rack 72" long and 50" wide. I know I can have a bit of stickout on the tent itself but damn...

I have a nice rack...

Check out the one on my rig.

Made out of some ATV ramps, 8 Yakima mounts, U-bolts and 4 iron pipe crossbars. Very strong and pretty lightweight! (Although, you could probably go lower weight with something other than iron crossbars.)

Super easy to install and remove & Yak mounts lock it to the truck.

:beer: to the gentleman that designed it! (Brad)

Finally completed the roof rack and got the RTT on.
Looks awesome and works great.

The diamond clamps really distribute the weight well. I cannot imagine there being any issue with weight distribution..

The new 4" (IIRC) so lift clamps are about perfect for a 60. There is additional lift available. The clamps are as far down as they can go.
DSC_0076-400.jpg
DSC_0074-400.jpg
ethanjaketent.jpg

And, 3 Darth Vaders on each side will help keep the Zombies at bay ;)

You can see the available room under the rack in the second pic.
DSC_0075-400.jpg
DSC_0072-400.jpg

Looks sweet man! Glad the clamps worked well for you......long live Darth Vader! :)

Thank you amigo. Not having to make my own roof clamps saved me a ton of time. It really was appreciated! And, I'd highly suggest using those 4" (or so) risers for any 60 roof rack sales. They really are about the perfect height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom