Bobby (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This may be the most ambitious baselining thread that Mud has ever witnessed. Everyday is packed with several days worth of action for most people, which is a sharp contrast to those other threads where the biggest challenge isn’t the work at hand but a wife that won’t let loose of his time or the check book. What makes this great is that you have a family that benefits daily from your determination and positive energy. :bounce:

This may be the most ambitious baselining thread that Mud has ever witnessed. Everyday is packed with several days worth of action for most people, which is a sharp contrast to those other threads where the biggest challenge isn’t the work at hand but a wife that won’t let loose of his time or the check book. What makes this great is that you have a family that benefits daily from your determination and positive energy. :bounce:

Thank you!! I have a great base to start from, an amazing wife who gets my "car thing" (though still thinks I'm nuts), and having the time due to COVID for the time being makes it easier. Like many, our vacation plans this year were scuttled, and the family is going stir crazy just staying inside. My daughter (6) has already pretty much claimed the LC as hers, loves spending time in the back with the tailgate down. Saturday night both she and my son had a whole setup back there, kept coming in the house to grab pillows and blankets to watch the sun set while sitting in the driveway. Can't wait until they can do the same thing out in the field!

Thank you!! I have a great base to start from, an amazing wife who gets my "car thing" (though still thinks I'm nuts), and having the time due to COVID for the time being makes it easier. Like many, our vacation plans this year were scuttled, and the family is going stir crazy just staying inside. My daughter (6) has already pretty much claimed the LC as hers, loves spending time in the back with the tailgate down. Saturday night both she and my son had a whole setup back there, kept coming in the house to grab pillows and blankets to watch the sun set while sitting in the driveway. Can't wait until they can do the same thing out in the field!
That’s good stuff right there!

OG fan clutch. Sprayed with some all purpose cleaner and rinsed, then let it sit out to dry for a minute. Pried apart with a small screwdriver, taking care to not damage the internal seal. Looks clean inside to the uninitiated. Set in a bucket to let the old oil drain out, new stuff gets here Saturday.
A018E93F-E707-465D-B54E-A6A2D6904DDD.jpeg

8EC7E145-55E3-4B20-B7B1-ED6FA6D3A909.jpeg

17EB6075-8E4F-4FBA-AFB5-4D1909D98884.jpeg

41498C6B-A7F7-4D46-A730-C0514313E80E.jpeg

Does the fan clutch say Aisin on it???

I don’t think that’s the original fan clutch. Not cheap but probably your best bet is modified and ready to install Aisin blue hub clutch from Witsend. Joey @NLXTACY will hook you up. If you plan to keep this 80, I wouldn’t waste time on unknown fan clutches.

Late afternoon buy list included a pit stop at the dealer for oil (5w30 dino to start) and filter, along with a drain pan that holds more than 7 quarts of oil (lol). The 5VZ holds 5.5 quarts, the M10 and M42 in the BMWs are 4.5 (4 cylinders), and the 2GRFE (RX350) is I think 6.5 tops. Records I have are helpful, but they didn't include oil changes.

More records review indicates that the PO had an independent shop tackle the front crank and oil pump seals about 7 years ago. Seems like they should last longer than that but what do I know. Just gonna do it and move on. :)

Not much to report today. Parts are in at the dealer, will pick up tomorrow. Rockauto order will be here next week (ugh), Wits End order is otw as well. Blue fan clutch will be here tomorrow from Amazon. Took a vacation day Friday to work down my PTO balance, but not much may get done until next week. Might head over to the junkyard for some trim bits, I managed to break the tabs on that useless card deck-sized pocket in the dashboard trying to pull it out.

Thinking about swapping the head unit for a stock radio. I did this in the T4R and added Bluetooth, looks great and works perfect. The LC has an aftermarket alarm and keyless entry, which is sort of nice to have.

I like these guys for parts, Prices are about the best you well find even after international shipping. And there web site is easy to navigate.
1596037094009.png

Thanks for the parts tip! Finding that there's lots of good options for parts on these.

I called K&H Import Repair in Canoga Park, the shop the PO used for most of the work post-dealer, to make sure the invoice I have is actually for the HG. Confirmed that was done at 197K miles and 3 years ago. They rebuilt the head as well. Truck hasn't been driven much in the last few years. That's good and bad, I think. The person at the shop was great and had all their records,. It's a little far for me to get over there for anything I can't handle here at home, but hoping there isn't much to do beyond the sorting I'm taking care of now (lolololol).

So... here we are. I have some tool shopping to do, need something to hold the balancer when pulling / torquing the crank bolt, a bigger breaker bar, etc.

@majdome - many of us have had success in keeping the crank shaft stationary while applying torque to the crank pulley bolt by putting a 14mm socket onto one of the ring gear bolts and allowing that to jam up against the bell housing while we apply the 304lbft of torque to the crank pulley bolt.

@majdome - many of us have had success in keeping the crank shaft stationary while applying torque to the crank pulley bolt by putting a 14mm socket onto one of the ring gear bolts and allowing that to jam up against the bell housing while we apply the 304lbft of torque to the crank pulley bolt.

Thanks - I kind of remember seeing this idea in searches elsewhere in the forums, will have to do a bit more detailed research for photos if they’re out there, maybe a YouTube search too. I’d be concerned about damaging the bell housing window with that much force if it suddenly came loose, maybe that’s overthinking it?

Never heard of anyone damaging the bell housing.

Never heard of anyone damaging the bell housing.
Even by the guy that forgot to remove the socket upon start-up....... It did it his rear main cap though......

I did this to my clutch fan last week
View attachment 2387727
Now that's a fan...

Parts arriving - Wits End @NLXTACY is here, Aisin blue hub arrived, have my 15K oil, need to get over to dealer to pick up parts, and... water pump / radiator are stuck on the slow boat from Rockauto. I should know better, really.

Thanks all for the feedback on how to re-torque that crank bolt. Great to know these hacks to get things done!

Other stuff. Researching my aftermarket lock system. The old ECU is still under the seat, but there's a complete kludge mess under the dash for the aftermarket system. It works, for now, but the aftermarket stuff bugs me. Down the list but definitely on it.

Late to the party here but that clutch you removed is the Eaton Clutch. It was used on later years. You will be better off modding the blue hub clutch so you are on the right path.

Now that's a fan...

Parts arriving - Wits End @NLXTACY is here, Aisin blue hub arrived, have my 15K oil, need to get over to dealer to pick up parts, and... water pump / radiator are stuck on the slow boat from Rockauto. I should know better, really.

Thanks all for the feedback on how to re-torque that crank bolt. Great to know these hacks to get things done!

Other stuff. Researching my aftermarket lock system. The old ECU is still under the seat, but there's a complete kludge mess under the dash for the aftermarket system. It works, for now, but the aftermarket stuff bugs me. Down the list but definitely on it.
I thought the blue clutch from wits end already has the thicker oil/silicon in it. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm gonna install it tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom