BJ75 Gearbox differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, its my first time post here. I looked for the answer using search, but could not find appropriate one.

So, I have an option to buy new gearbox for BJ75 1988.
That new gearbox has Toyota part no. 33030-60620.
It appears to be factory standard for 1984-1985 production years.
According to my vehicle VIN JT1V0BJ7509003124, the gearbox should be 33030-60501.

Question:
Can this 33030-60620 be fitted to my BJ75? I do not need PTO winch my car used to have.

No one I asked, seems to know the difference between 33030-60620 and 33030-60501.
Maybe someone knows it. Thank you in advance!

I attached few pics of the new gearbox.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

the 60620 transmission shows for early trucks.

The 60501 is for later trucks.

The differences are in the cast iron case and especially front input shaft construction. The early uses a 90mm bearing and the later a 92mm bearing. You can use the early w/o issue completely installed if the right price. A 3b 5 speed is 3B 5 speed.

If you can, try to keep your old input shaft and bearing retainer (the thing the throw out bearing slides on) for resale. IT does require a partial tear down to get the input but those may be transplanted into the commonly available -60450 h55 in the US which is only for gas and 2H diesel applications.

Rebuilding your own transmission is not an option?

Not sure on the part number compatibility, but you should be able to check the spline count and shaft length and compare to yours to verify fitment. But I"m guessing you don't want to pull yours out just yet.

That's nice looking transmission though, is it a 5 speed?

the 60620 transmission shows for early trucks.

The 60501 is for later trucks.

The differences are in the cast iron case and especially front input shaft construction. The early uses a 90mm bearing and the later a 92mm bearing. You can use the early w/o issue completely installed if the right price. A 3b 5 speed is 3B 5 speed.

If you can, try to keep your old input shaft and bearing retainer (the thing the throw out bearing slides on) for resale. IT does require a partial tear down to get the input but those may be transplanted into the commonly available -60450 h55 in the US which is only for gas and 2H diesel applications.

Rebuilding your own transmission is not an option?

Rick, huge thanks for the info!
If 60620 is cast iron, then it should be much heavier?
As for the bearings - if its direct 3B bolt on - then I'll just put it in as it is. I will keep the old gearbox, just in case.

Tricky part: gearbox owner told me that "it is brand new, filled with factory oil, but stayed in his garage unused for roughly 20 years or slightly more" o_O
As you can see - there are some rust spots. Should it be alrite if I just drain it, install, fill it up and run? Without disassembling and inspecting?

As for the rebuild...I was thinking about it. But this price+time offer seems like a good deal to me.
3rd, 4th and 5th gears on my transmission are ridiculously loud now (but all gears engage without any problem).
1st and 2nd gear are quiet though, no matter how hard I accelerate.

Not sure on the part number compatibility, but you should be able to check the spline count and shaft length and compare to yours to verify fitment. But I"m guessing you don't want to pull yours out just yet.

That's nice looking transmission though, is it a 5 speed?

Thank you for the comment! Yes, exactly.
I did the math on the pic (haven't seen the gearbox in person yet, just had a phone talk) - it does look like it has 21 spline. Mine is 21.
As for the length - I will find it out only after I take mine gearbox out. The guy is ok with refund if something won't fit.
I heard that in some cases part numbers match but real items are different.
And yes, it is a 5 speed gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom