BJ74 Restoration and LHD Conversion has begun! (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There you go...Wayne to the rescue.:clap:

Are you in an area that is being adversely effected by the flooding?

Not personally. However the Minnesota river is 5 miles south of me. With 3 main bridges closed, my trip to cross the river went from 5 miles to 40.

No going south for a while

Not personally. However the Minnesota river is 5 miles south of me. With 3 main bridges closed, my trip to cross the river went from 5 miles to 40.

No going south for a while

Glad to hear that a snorkel is not required equipment. :)

Last edited:
That's a great find.

Well I took the 74 on a 200 mile round trip this morning to go pick up a trailer. POURING RAIN the whole time!

Cruiser performed very well. Fought a 30MPH headwind + rain on the way back pulling the trailer, so it was working pretty hard. Temp only got up to the 9:00 position (usually at 8:eek:clock) and it was running 10-12 boost constantly, with 1000 EGT. So it was working!

Of course there is a downside. Significant water leakage in both footwells on the outsides by the kick panels. I assume it is somehow getting by the windshield seal.

Anybody take the windshield frame out without removing the top? I assume it will fold to the inside if I take the hinges and all the bolts out. Just don't want to start and realize the top has to be lifted

Last edited:
Well I took the 74 on a 200 mile round trip this morning to go pick up a trailer. POURING RAIN the whole time!

Cruiser performed very well. Fought a 30MPH headwind + rain on the way back pulling the trailer, so it was working pretty hard. Temp only got up to the 9:00 position (usually at 8:eek:clock) and it was running 10-12 boost constantly, with 1000 EGT. So it was working!

Of course there is a downside. Significant water leakage in both footwells on the outsides by the kick panels. I assume it is somehow getting by the windshield seal.

Anybody take the windshield frame out without removing the top? I assume it will fold to the inside if I take the hinges and all the bolts out. Just don't want to start and realize the top has to e lifted

Are you sure the leak isn't originating in the gap where the windshield folds forward?

This gap leaked on my HJ75 however a bead of high quality silicone corrected the issue.
image.jpg

Looks like a run in the middle. You should re-apply it.:rimshot:

Looks like a run in the middle. You should re-apply it.:rimshot:

I haven't been able to stay within the lines since the 3rd grade and the 3rd grade was the best three years of my life.

I am thinking that is where it is leaking, probably running to the ends, and inside

Did you replace that gasket?

Do you have any photos of the top edge of the cowl and the bottom of the winshield frame? Those may help in deciding the likelyhood of that seam being the source.....

You could run a strip of 2 inch masking tape all the way along that seam and spray it down to see if the water is still comming in.

Do you have any photos of the top edge of the cowl and the bottom of the winshield frame? Those may help in deciding the likelyhood of that seam being the source.....

I looked, and I do not. I am going to try the tape test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom