BJ42 Winter Fix Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I started the freshly turboed cruiser, and it seemed to go well' but when I shut it down I had smoke blowing out the hood. damn I thought, but I just started it and drove it two blocks (pretty hard) without the temp needle even moving. Opened the hood, and seemed like the oil drain line was leaking. When I got the turbo every thing was pretty loose, and I tightened it up, but maybe there is suppose to be some kind of o ring or gasket that was missing. I was pretty pumped that I could actually spin the tires (my temporary 31s) can't wait to take it up a big hill. I will get the oil return line figured out then a pyro and boost gauge, then start messing around with it a little.
Cheers,
Deny

Cool, got any pics of the install?
Are the 31's on there until some 35tsl's come in?

Cool, got any pics of the install?
Are the 31's on there until some 35tsl's come in?

Yup, got a lot of pics, just bare with me till I get my star back. The 31 are on since I sold my ltbs and waiting on 36 TSLs since the 33 TSLs are a little too small.

Well, I guess the oil problem was my fault. I bent the oil drain tube to pull it away from my jim shim manifold and that warped the contact surface leaving a little gap to spew oil out of. I smacked it back sorta strait, filed it flat, and added high heat silicone gasket to the already present gasket. Hopefully this will be it. Will fire it up again tommorow. Sent my money today, so should be getting the pictures up probably next week.
Cheers,
Deny

Right on Deny, you're gonna love the turbo! Every time I go from my 74 to my 70 I keep thinking somebody's slipped a few thousand pounds of lead in the back when I wasn't looking.

Only a guy who's driven a 3B for a number of years can think a 5000lb truck with 125hp feels like a hot rod :grinpimp:

Thanks Norm,

Yeah, I've been driving my Cummins too much and my Cruiser not enough, and now it seems like a slug, whereas when it was my daily driver, I didn't really care, I actually thought the 3B was pretty good since I really only drove VW and Datsun diesels before. The swampers suck a lot of my momentum on hills, so I just want to get some of that back. It's also really starting to bug me getting passed by semis all the time! (agricultural equipment is on my tail too! :) )

Borrowed Charlas spare tires and took the truck for another spin. Still pulles hard, and the oil leak is gone. once I get the pyro, I will try to mess with the fuel a little, but I have to figure out how, because I don't have the fuel screw, got that funny hac thing. Will try and build a heat sheild today.
Cheers,
Deny

I will try to mess with the fuel a little, but I have to figure out how, because I don't have the fuel screw, got that funny hac thing.

Dude.

Just loosen the locknut and turn the funny hac thing with your hand and then tighten the locknut. Think of it as a big screw. Go easy though, a little does a lot.

Thanks Bruce,
Thats what I thought, until I started looking at it a little and saw a nut on the back of it with a wire through it. Also started thinking about having to adjust the arm on the edic motor because wouldn't that hold it back also?

I took it for a spin up beaton hill on sunday and as I was pulling hard near the top (going around 70km/h in 3rd gear, usually 40k/h in 2nd) and all of a suddun the engine started revving hard, and accelerating like my Dodge, but wouldn't slow down. Thought the engine was going to explode. I turned it off and started up with a little higher idle. Then again same thing as I excellerated to speed. Turned it off again, pulled over and saw that one of the hoses off the intake popped off (due to more pressure in the intake?) and the engine was getting crazy fuel. put the hose back on and it was ok. I can't wait to get the pyro and boost gauge so I can start cranking up the fuel a bit.

Here are the first few pics of my turbo build, will get on more as I get more time. The first pic is what I started with (thanks Wes if your reading this, for the turbo, works good) Then my weld on bung for the drain, and the start of the turbo flange cause I didn't want to just flip the manifold. The whole setup looks a little hokey, but it seems to work good, but what do I know never had a turbo cruiser before.
Cheers,
Deny
Picture 042.jpg
Picture 043.jpg
Picture 044.jpg

Here I continue building my jim shim turbo manifold/manifold extension. This way I could keep my air box where it was since I put a bit of work into it to rotate it around to fit my snorkle back in the day.
Picture 048.jpg
Picture 049.jpg
Picture 050.jpg

Interesting. Did you end up adding any kind of brace onto the manifold extension? If not, might be prudent to help prevent cracking with the weight and vibrations on there. Truck looks great with the 36's btw.

Yup I did but a brace in, I think it is in one of my later photos, will post up as I have time.
Thanks Martin, the Aired down 36s are kick ass for sure, and now with the turbo, it still seems to pull better with the 36s than non-turbo and the 34 ltbs (which were really like 32) The 2.5 backspace rims make it almost as stable too.
Cheers,
Deny

Here you go Martin, I didn't have a pic of the brace, but yesturday when I finally got around to changing the stock elbow into the intake that I had to jim shim since it had split I took a picture of it. Bacically it bolts onto the block down low and then I welded a tab onto the U-manifold part to bolt up to the brace also. (would have just welded it, but this way it was easier to put on and take off)
Picture June 2008 006.jpg
Picture 051.jpg

Started raining on me, and my project in the shop is sorta unmovable, so I had to make a temporary shop, worked pretty good, and I finally got to use some of those caribeeners I got at rivershiver. 2nd pic you can see how my snorkle attaches, and my little addapter to swing my air box to accept the snorkle. 3rd pic starting to make some progress.
Picture 053.jpg
Picture 054.jpg
Picture 055.jpg

Amazing how handy those River Shiver carabeeners are!

got some vaccuum hose for the air box to turbo line and pics of the little heat shield I made from some scrap I had lying around to protect the voltage regulator and some of the electrical wires.
Picture 057.jpg
Picture 059.jpg
Picture 060.jpg

Deny, that accordian hose will not be good with the turbo, I have a new HDJ81 airbox lid that comes straight out and the points down - you could use it and baybe cut it to the angle you wanted and then use just a short length of silicon tubing.

Let me know if you want a pic.

Louis

Deny, that accordian hose will not be good with the turbo, I have a new HDJ81 airbox lid that comes straight out and the points down - you could use it and baybe cut it to the angle you wanted and then use just a short length of silicon tubing.

Let me know if you want a pic.

Louis

Is it the same as the one you sent with the turbo kit? I was thinking of customizing something like that, this is sort of just temporary until I find something better, but it should hold up since it is industrial vaccuum hosing, I sort of like it too, because it doesn't rattle the hell out of my snorkle when the engine is cold. When I do get around to it (heck it took me 2 years to install this turbo) I'll make something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom