bj42 radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
Done lots of searching...1984 bj42 rad. power steering model, inlet/outlet on the driver side. filler on the pax side. mine is leaking. looking at 1000.00 for re core up here. An ebay aluminum rad is 200.00 any one running these long term and had success? Any other aluminum brands out there that aren't piles of $h)t ?

Done lots of searching...1984 bj42 rad. power steering model, inlet/outlet on the driver side. filler on the pax side. mine is leaking. looking at 1000.00 for re core up here. An ebay aluminum rad is 200.00 any one running these long term and had success? Any other aluminum brands out there that aren't piles of $h)t ?
Last two guys down here on the island who bought the cheap aluminum rads had them crap out within a couple of months. I just paid $650 to get a BJ74 rad recored here in Pt Alberni. It’s frustrating that these recores cost so much.

Thanks the kind of the consensus I’m getting. Probably just fork out the cash and do it properly..

Thanks the kind of the consensus I’m getting. Probably just fork out the cash and do it properly..
I just actually did that rad and one for my 12HT. Big bucks! Which I hopefully won’t have to do again.

Why so much for a recore?
If we only knew, but it's like car insurance sort of a predetermined scam price. Although I think
copper costs more per pound than gold.

Well, if you wanted NEW this is the cheapest price I've found

A mere 1,072.69, & $130 shipping

Id trust kevin if you are willing to put some extra work into it,

Roma, where do you find these? I’ve looked and everything is out of stock? Agree the aluminum ones are temporary garbage that would contribute to beer money while the original gets re cored.

@gerg , I don’t know. We get gouged up here. I’m still leaning towards getting hosed and having a good job done. Let me know if you need any parts.
I’m still planning on a turbo. Things went a bit sideways but I’ll be in touch soon.

It's no rush man on the turbo. Whenever your ready. I didn't realize I bought a frame off project when I got the 40 but it seems to be the norm. I'll be following in your footsteps minus the alum tub. I've got a decient steel tub I'll repair. if you can find a shop down here to get your rad done that saves you money I don't mind taking care of that if it helps. You can ship it to me and I'll get it done and I can ship it back to you. I dont know if that's even worth it, but if it is let me know.

I've had 2 of the welded aluminium ebay radiators fail on me. On my BJ73 3 of the 4 mounting brackets broke off on a remote track in the middle of nowhere. I tied it up with wire and limped home.

DSC_0506.jpg

On my Suzuki Sierra (Samurai) it split where the top of the tubes meet the tank, 2 days into a 3 week trip.

Both were around 6 months old and neither of the eBay sellers held up on their advertised warranty.

On the plus side, they both cooled really well.

The Sierra one replaced a recore which the straps had broken off of, crappy solder job. As you can imagine, I'm pretty keen on just buying a new copper/brass these days.

Check post #73. Sherwood Auto Parts and Radiators is the only decent rad shop north of the Malahat on Vancouver Island. But the prices don’t get any cheaper anyway. I had an issue with the 12HT rad and Rick fixed it up immediately and no fuss. Impressive customer support. But as far as what it costs to get a real copper core radiator I don’t think your quote is completely out of line considering your somewhat isolated smaller customer base of where you are.

Roma, where do you find these? I’ve looked and everything is out of stock? Agree the aluminum ones are temporary garbage that would contribute to beer money while the original gets re cored.

here is one although perhaps the price is a typo. I was looking for one a couple years ago and there is a company in AU that sells them. Cant remember the name.

I got in touch with those guys and that model is out of stock. Too bad..

I’ll pull it today and see what the local shop says. Go from there.

New developments. Found an OEM one on eBay for 490 Cad delivered to my door. Used but pressure tested and seller is reputable. Hopefully this works out and I can arrange a proper re core in Prince George or further down south.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom