BIRF Soup. OK to drive 25 miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sbman

Supporting Vendor
Threads
When I was near work this morning, I started smelling burning oil. Foul smelling burning oil. I was pretty sure it wasn't coming from the engine.

IMG_20160112_085109581-XL.jpg

The question is, is this safe to drive home without damaging the DIFF? Not sure how much oil is left in there. I need to go 25 miles.

I'm less concerned about the birf than I am with the diff. Seems like a lot of oil came out very quickly. I can try adding it, but will have no way to know if it stays put.

I'm less concerned about the birf than I am with the diff. Seems like a lot of oil came out very quickly. I can try adding it, but will have no way to know if it stays put.
I think it would be hard to loose it all in 25 miles through a blown inner seal. top it off and you'll make it home no problem.

Why so much coming out? overfilled with water mix? Vent plugged? Left parked on a sidehill right side down?

I assume that once the inner seal stops sealing that the oil flows down the axle shaft and fills the birf housing which does not seal against liquid oil, it's meant for grease.

Yes but not usually high flow that way and the level at the fill plug is barely above the axle tube

Sent from my LG-LS970

What sbman said. I'd be concerned with the diff oil itself and not the birf. You've got soup in the birf, but what's left in the differential? Do you have a choice - AAA Plus or something like to cover the cost of the tow on a flatbed home?

Check your knuckle studs before moving, as well. Looks like something worked itself loose to allow that much fluid to pour out at one time.

Last edited:
The Diff pumpkin has a low area that should keep the diff bathed in oil for the 25 miles.

I would also hazard a guess that the vent is plugged and caused a vacuum of some kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom