Bikersmurf’s 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a new old 40 series Tre around somewhere. One of the short ones. I'll dig it out. You can have it, if you can figure out a way to give it a ride.
Leftover from a ps conversion 20 years ago I guess

I could have given it to crusty yesterday if I'd read this sooner. Oh well.

I bought a couple sets of new 60 series ones from that online auto parts place in Australia. Worked out cheaper than a full set from anyone around here.
That was a couple years ago now tho, so it's probably 25% more expensive.

I have a new old 40 series Tre around somewhere. One of the short ones. I'll dig it out. You can have it, if you can figure out a way to give it a ride.
Leftover from a ps conversion 20 years ago I guess

I could have given it to crusty yesterday if I'd read this sooner. Oh well.

I bought a couple sets of new 60 series ones from that online auto parts place in Australia. Worked out cheaper than a full set from anyone around here.
That was a couple years ago now tho, so it's probably 25% more expensive.
Thanks, I’ll take it. No rush, so we’ll figure it out somehow.

Edit…
Do you recall if it’s the left side or the right? I’m using a new TRE on the left side from an ‘81 Toyota 4x4 pickup to give me the extra 5” I need to reach the pitman arm.

Last edited:
Thanks, I’ll take it. No rush, so we’ll figure it out somehow.

Edit…
Do you recall if it’s the left side or the right? I’m using a new TRE on the left side from an ‘81 Toyota 4x4 pickup to give me the extra 5” I need to reach the pitman arm.
No idea. When I find it I'll take a picture.

Like one of these?

I have no actual idea why I have one LHD random AF 40 Tre kicking around.

Maybe leftover from trogdor… and the 4x4 labs with GM Tre ?

Dunno.
282B33BA-A4E7-4C53-841A-B5132A3FEEE8.jpeg

Like one of these?

I have no actual idea why I have one LHD random AF 40 Tre kicking around.

Maybe leftover from trogdor… and the 4x4 labs with GM Tre ?

Dunno.View attachment 2930326

That looks like one of the ones I’ll be replacing while I’m at it. The one I currently have is ok, but I have no idea how old it is… at least 15-20 years.

Found it.

Been in my parts bin probably since I built my old 45.

View attachment 2930376
My eyecrometer could be off, but that looks like a right hand thread of the smaller diameter. Unfortunately that makes it the one I already replaced with this one…
7ACD8665-2AC3-4F86-986F-E48D27C59DBD.jpeg

Maybe someone else can make use of it. I’ve got a half decent manual box and bel crank to go with it if someone has a 40 with worn steering that needs some tlc.

But thanks for digging it out.

Great, that’s what I have on order. Possibly not needed, but OEM manufacturers put them there even with smaller tires. For $50ish it seems worthwhile to install one now. I’d rather avoid death wobble and other issues that dampers seem to help avoid.

Great, that’s what I have on order. Possibly not needed, but OEM manufacturers put them there even with smaller tires. For $50ish it seems worthwhile to install one now. I’d rather avoid death wobble and other issues that dampers seem to help avoid.
The damper just keeps the shimmy down. Death wobble is a whole different animal, keep your
knuckle bearings in good repair and wheel bearings properly torqued on install, service the TRE’s
regularly.

The damper just keeps the shimmy down. Death wobble is a whole different animal, keep your
knuckle bearings in good repair and wheel bearings properly torqued on install, service the TRE’s
regularly.
I bought my 40 in ‘91… does never seem frequently enough? This will be the first time in 100k miles that I’ve put new TREs on. A couple times I’ve swapped them for better used ones… and I’ve greased them every so often. Never had wobble or shimmy. Drives better now than ever before. The Monroe damper will replace a bigger aftermarket one that’s 20+ years old.

49601A7F-F5AC-4FD4-9EA1-E5DA2A9FBC96.jpeg

Picked this up for sewing for the many sewing projects around an old cruiser that home machines weren’t built to handle. American made, built in the late 30s-40s, 5/16” material capacity, 1/3 hp variable speed motor… should handle whatever I need it to. :D

First challenge is that Union Special doesn’t use standard needles. Good news is that they are available and I’ve ordered a bunch. Who knew that they use their own needles that no one else uses. At least they are still made… somewhat surprising for a 80ish year old machine.

Of course I broke the one that came in it. That’s what I get for testing what it’ll do… rather than just using it. That said, I didn’t want to start something big without knowing what it will easily handle. Suffice it to say, 1/3 hp is a lot for a sewing machine… way more than the 60 watt motor I’m accustomed to working with at home. It has roughly 7x the power of my newer Kenmore sewing machine.

$1800 seat covers really makes me want to learn how to sew. Im def going to look out for and good old machine on my travels from now on.

$1800 seat covers really makes me want to learn how to sew. Im def going to look out for and good old machine on my travels from now on.

$300. Should be easy to fix… likely.

With a walking foot would be better… but more $$$

Cleaned up some tools yesterday. I hate having dirty tools. If at all possible I’ll even try to clean the things I’m working on.
8CC4D134-2C2C-46CB-98F1-440A7CDBF75B.jpeg

Here’s some evidence of the grime. I can’t understand how something could be so bad.

Now I bet you are wondering what…
64048573-B157-4D92-82C2-386E7E7CA329.jpeg

Foaming wall cleaner applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom