Bikersmurf’s 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
@bikersmurf I was thinkIng about your 40 situation last night.

i believe you have a 3.70 diff in the front and 4.10 in the rear?

- Is the 4.10 too deep for the v8?

Reason I ask is I was going to sell a 4.10 but haven’t heard back from the guy. 4.10 is usually more desirable allowing you to run larger tires. Also I’m sure you know but swapping the rear diff is a lot easier than the front.

Im lazy with front ends. you say the knuckle needs to be repacked. I’m sure you are aware of this but there’s a plug in the top of the knuckle to add more grease. If the axle seals aren't leaking I just add enough grease to keep the knuckle balls lubed. I suspect though you probably meant wheel bearings and that’s a different story.

Anyways I’m not criticizing just curious. let’s get your’s and mine back to driving!

4.10 are too deep. 3.70 are so much nicer. I’ve got a couple of 4.10 diffs around, do that’s the issue.

The axle oil seals are leaking some, so I should really replace them while it’s apart. In reality I’ve got another front end I should prep with the 3.70 third, then swap the disc knuckles across, add the castor shims, new U bolts, U bolt skid plates, and replace the 46 year old brake lines. I know it seems like more work, but less under the truck, and easier to beak up into smaller pieces.

Wheel bearings were replaced and repacked more recently... coincidentally I found a cracked inner race when I did them. Fortunately I found the cracked race before the bearing self destructed and took the spindle with it.

The 40s on hold till a couple things at the house are ready for the window guy replaces all the remaining 1980 windows. 13 windows, a 6’ slider, and a 9’ slider. That’s coming up in a couple weeks so garage time is on hold.

Even with 33s, it’ll chug along at idle in fourth gear high range at 10 mph.

I’m getting too old and broken to replace a 3rd on the ground under the truck... especially when there’s an easier option.

Good to have a plan. I hear you about rebuilding the axle on stands definitely nicer to work on than under the truck. Careful dragging around a full axle there’s more than a few ways to hurt yourself doing that. A guy on mud was removing an axle on his 40 with his son and holding one end. When they lifted the axle the knuckle free of the linkage turned/fell to the stop where he was holding it popping his finger like a grape. Did you say you are running the long birfields? I imagine those aren’t easy to find. I believe I have a pair of long ones that I was unable to throw away for free if you want some spares. Also still have that free acetylene bottle for you. I have 3.70 diffs in mine it is nice to be able to go 120k although thats only on the flats in mine hah!

I’m not in a position to offer help right now. Too much going on. Later on, winter down time
I’d think if a couple of guys got at it it would happen fast. I gutted and rebuilt my 60
front axle in less than a day but I’ve got everything I need close at hand.
Certainly easier to build an axle on the table than under a truck.
In time I would be willing to help, come on down and help out.
I agree on the 3.70’s. Certainly more economical and with a V8 can skinny
pedal compensate.

I have two complete 370 axles and a two post lift if your stuck. They are on a 60 but you can buy new perches from Island spring in Lady Smith and Just weld them on.

I think I have 3.70 third kicking around in a bucket

I’ve got a good 3.70 3rd ready.

I’ve also got a couple spare Birfields & shafts. Could always use extras.

3.70 and 33s make for 2k RPM at 50 mph.

Fired up CAD... so far I’ve got this.
EFFCDFA1-3BAE-4ADB-B57E-D0AB3D349C23.jpeg

The plate on the left is a backing plate for the inner side of the frame rail... and the right the back of the front cross member. I’ve not decided about a brace between the two.

Scout II box. Mounts the same as a 60 series box. Planning to plate the inside of the frame and tubing through the frame so it doesn’t crush, and brace to the front cross member.

Any thoughts on also plating the outside of the frame. For a lightning use (ie not hardcore wheeler) I’m thinking it’d be overkill.

Grade 8 bolts?? I believe they’re 1/2”... and three of them (unlike Toyota’s 4).

Last edited:
After taking some measurements, I’ve concluded scab plates on the outside of the frame will be better for spacing. By my rough calculations if I use a Toyota Hilux TRE like this...
DA9B4C46-5CB7-47CE-B6C3-13E604E2C4C6.jpeg

rather than a regular TRE, I’ll gain 5” in the linkage. This should put it in the right neighbourhood for length. I’ve got a Hilux TRE to mock it up... and if it works out well, I’ll buy new TREs.

Fired up CAD... so far I’ve got this.
The plate on the left is a backing plate for the inner side of the frame rail... and the right the back of the front cross member. I’ve not decided about a brace between the two.

Scout II box. Mounts the same as a 60 series box. Planning to plate the inside of the frame and tubing through the frame so it doesn’t crush, and brace to the front cross member.

Any thoughts on also plating the outside of the frame. For a lightning use (ie not hardcore wheeler) I’m thinking it’d be overkill.

Grade 8 bolts?? I believe they’re 1/2”... and three of them (unlike Toyota’s 4).

I did a LHD box on the BJ74. I used DOM with same diameter inside as the factory through bolts. I used a 1/8" scab on the
inside of the frame for the washer/nuts which can't be seen easily. On the outside of the frame I drilled holes just big enough to slide the
DOM inserts in. I pushed the bolts through from the other side and got them in perfect position with a bit of tape. Then tack, and then
welded the DOM to the outer frame. This way the box sits right against the frame. Bolt head on the steering box, looks completely
factory from looking at it and it's as strong as anything. Let me look for pics

Pics are somewhere. But due to computer issues I’m on separate hard drive right now. When I get home I’ll have my work cut out for me trying to meld three laptop memories into one - UGH!!

Oh, go on the 70’s forum. Coldtaco Is converting his 2H HJ75 into 12HT LHD. He did a really clean LHD steering box install. check it out. Good pics.

Pics are somewhere. But due to computer issues I’m on separate hard drive right now. When I get home I’ll have my work cut out for me trying to meld three laptop memories into one - UGH!!
I hate computers... I’d be happy living before them. I was perfectly fine networking with other local owners by leaving notes on their windshields.

Oh, go on the 70’s forum. Coldtaco Is converting his 2H HJ75 into 12HT LHD. He did a really clean LHD steering box install. check it out. Good pics.

If the 40 frame was fully boxed I’d do the same. However I’m figuring plating the inside of the frame would be wise on a 40. For good measure I’m think also part of the cross member as well. I’m leaning towards a gusset between the frame and cross member also... but that could be overkill.

For Christmas I got a Picture Keeper Zip drive. After plugging it into the computer, it collects all the pictures. Then you can repeat on the next computer and It automatically skips duplicates. I’ve not started yet, but reviews look very promising.

Problem is coffee on keyboard and pathetic company support from a
douche

Problem is coffee on keyboard and pathetic company support from a
douche
I despise Epson support. We intermittently have problems with 1 of the 3 of their scanners on one computer. Support feel that if the scanner works with a different computer, then it's not their problem to solve or assist with it's a problem with the computer.

I've been amazed by the customer support that comes part and parcel with the Elitebook computers we have. I Had a 4 year old computer I was having issues with... the agent called me back 3 days later to be sure my issues were resolved. I've now got 7 of them... and have bought 14 or so. When I called support about startup discs, they first said they'd be $10 for the shipping... then they decided to waive the shipping. I've bought most of them without a hard drive. After installing an SSD drive they can be thrown on the ground, spill coffee on them, and otherwise abused. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom