Builds Big Red Toy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I had seen that truck at Round-up! Edwin is a good guy. Hope to see the diesel conversion at RU2013.

time for an update. I got back in country last week and have been really busy with family and other obligations. I did however swing by the shop to see the progress being done on the engine swap. Before heading down there I went to renew the registration and decided to change the plate to say CUM TOY. That's half cummins half toyota, at first the lady was hesitant but then I played up the disabled veteran bit and explained to her why CUM TOY is not offensive. She relented and printed the registration sticker. Two days later the state of Texas sends me an email telling me it's inappropriate. Long story short, I'm in the appeals process and invoking my right to free speech. I'm challenging them to show me the specific guidelines that says that's not allowed and I want the names of everyone on the panel that decided against it. We'll see what happens.
As far as the truck itself, I had to get a starter that mated to the flywheel, the old one that came with the engine was not touching the flywheel once we changed the flywheel adapter. Once I did that the engine started with no issues. We forgot to plug one of the oil lines and ended squirting oil all over Edwin's shop, so oil pressure doesn't seem to be an issue. This week we're going to pull the old engine out and start the swap. There are a few things I do need replaced, like an oil dipstick and fan clutch. The cummins dealer doesn't want to go by the engine number but wants the frame vin number the engine came from. It's been a real pain dealing with them, but if you guys know who i can get those from it would be great. I'm gonna have questions about a solenoid and its wires and how to get the tach to work, but will cover that a little later. Right now I'm getting yelled to do more family stuff. Will post more later.
IMG_4217.jpg
IMG_4223.jpg

There are three wires that come out of the fuel shut off solenoid. I'm trying to figure out what the third one is used for. Anyone know? Also below the fuel filter there are two oil hoses. one goes to the turbo and the other one is cut open. that's where the oil squirted from, any ideas where that one was suppose to go?
IMG_4231.jpg
IMG_4230.jpg
IMG_4234.jpg

In regards to getting your tach to work, you can use a Dakota Digital box with a sending unit on the bellhousing. That's how my 80 is wired.

Davegonz,
Thanks for the info, I will have to get Edwin to check out how to do it. I really want it to have a tach that works. How does the dakota box work exactly? does it count the flywheel revolutions or what? Thanks again.

The Phoenician said:
There are three wires that come out of the fuel shut off solenoid. I'm trying to figure out what the third one is used for. Anyone know? Also below the fuel filter there are two oil hoses. one goes to the turbo and the other one is cut open. that's where the oil squirted from, any ideas where that one was suppose to go?

The black is the ground. The other two should be a high amperage +12v for the pull in windings and a low amperage +12v for your hold in windings in the solenoid. To know for sure you will need verify which is which with a resistance reading or contact the dealer or some place like Diesel Power they will have that info in the FSM.

time for an update. I got back in country last week and have been really busy with family and other obligations. I did however swing by the shop to see the progress being done on the engine swap. Before heading down there I went to renew the registration and decided to change the plate to say CUM TOY. That's half cummins half toyota, at first the lady was hesitant but then I played up the disabled veteran bit and explained to her why CUM TOY is not offensive. She relented and printed the registration sticker. Two days later the state of Texas sends me an email telling me it's inappropriate. Long story short, I'm in the appeals process and invoking my right to free speech. I'm challenging them to show me the specific guidelines that says that's not allowed and I want the names of everyone on the panel that decided against it. We'll see what happens.
As far as the truck itself, I had to get a starter that mated to the flywheel, the old one that came with the engine was not touching the flywheel once we changed the flywheel adapter. Once I did that the engine started with no issues. We forgot to plug one of the oil lines and ended squirting oil all over Edwin's shop, so oil pressure doesn't seem to be an issue. This week we're going to pull the old engine out and start the swap. There are a few things I do need replaced, like an oil dipstick and fan clutch. The cummins dealer doesn't want to go by the engine number but wants the frame vin number the engine came from. It's been a real pain dealing with them, but if you guys know who i can get those from it would be great. I'm gonna have questions about a solenoid and its wires and how to get the tach to work, but will cover that a little later. Right now I'm getting yelled to do more family stuff. Will post more later.

Haha that's hilarious! Never going to fly, but I give you a big A for effort! Awesome!

is your display the original needle tach, or is it a digital display? Thanks for all your help btw.

Yep, it's the original needle one. You can always install a Diesel Tiny Tach. It's simple and small.

Yep, it's the original needle one. You can always install a Diesel Tiny Tach. It's simple and small.

Nah I like the original, want to try to keep it that way. Is the Dakota digital something I can install after the conversion, or do I have to have it done during? I'm assuming during since it counts flywheel teeth. I think Edwin is a little hesitant to mess with it and I'd like him to stay focused on the bigger picture.

Last edited:
I would drill/tap a hole for the sending unit on the bell housing while you have everything out and then mess with the electrical later.

Phoenician,

Let me know if you're going by Edwin's shop this week. I'd like to meet you and check out the truck. Also, there's an LSLC meeting tomorrow night. We can talk about your project.

I was thinking of either going to Edwin's this after noon or tomorrow. Would definitely love to meet. Let me know when's good for you and will work around it. I still have a few more days before heading back to Iraq.

I'll stop by tomorrow during my lunch break. We can go eat lunch around there (Trudy's?).

What the hey? You got a mechanic involved? Well la-tee-da!

Just kidding. I know you're psyched to be getting your C4bt installed. Did you have any luck with you serial number at Endurance?

The Dakota Digital tach interface is the way to go. You will have to drill a hole through your adapter and tap it. Then you screw in the sensor intil it hits the flywhell and back it off jus a bit, making sure the flywheel can spin freely. You then enter the number of teeth on your flywheel and it counts them. My buddy here in town can't remember if you need another unit with dip switches to make it work with the stock FJ tach. Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom