Builds Big Red Toy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up this winch for the taco.

I did not have good luck with the Smittybuilt winch I bought earlier this year. I recommend testing it right away. First pull on mine while setting the wire rope and it died after 3 seconds. Sent it back and bought a Warn.

I did not have good luck with the Smittybuilt winch I bought earlier this year. I recommend testing it right away. First pull on mine while setting the wire rope and it died after 3 seconds. Sent it back and bought a Warn.
It's going on the wife's Tacoma. But will definitely test it first.

Picked up big red today. It drove great for 10 minutes then died. I seem to have developed an electrical issue. The batteries are not charging at all.

Separately, the mechanic doing the work recommended a newer fuel pump and larger diameter fuel lines.

Since I'm now missing round up 2020 due to the corona virus, i ended up towing it back to the shop and will be getting more upgrades. So much for the apocalypse truck.
20200314_154844.jpg
20200314_162315.jpg

Picked up big red today. It drove great for 10 minutes then died. I seem to have developed an electrical issue. The batteries are not charging at all.

Separately, the mechanic doing the work recommended a newer fuel pump and larger diameter fuel lines.

Since I'm now missing round up 2020 due to the corona virus, i ended up towing it back to the shop and will be getting more upgrades. So much for the apocalypse truck.
View attachment 2238643View attachment 2238644
That sucks Mike. Did he recommend a new injection pump or lift pump?

That sucks Mike. Did he recommend a new injection pump or lift pump?
Lift pump. Seems to coincide with the installation of the 40 gallon tank. I stl have half that first tank in there.

Man it better not be the injection pump.

Lift pump. Seems to coincide with the installation of the 40 gallon tank. I stl have half that first tank in there.

Man it better not be the injection pump.
Lift pump is cheap and easy.

Thinking out loud.

Since all these problems started shortly after the install of the long distance fuel tank.
I know new fuel hoses were used. Is it possible they used a rubber hose for gas and the diesel is causing it to decompose and clog the fuel lines? Because the problem looks like it's a fueling issue.

Thinking out loud.

Since all these problems started shortly after the install of the long distance fuel tank.
I know new fuel hoses were used. Is it possible they used a rubber hose for gas and the diesel is causing it to decompose and clog the fuel lines? Because the problem looks like it's a fueling issue.

Standard fuel line is capable of supporting gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, ethanol, and oil.

I don’t remember but did you use Walbro pickups in your new large tank? May want to if not.
picture from J Mack

E4D26369-47BD-451C-8889-FA4D7FE58078.png
FEA6AC51-1438-46F9-8BF2-7042BCD4B964.png

Last edited:
No update on big red, but this came in from C4 Fabrication.
20200319_155607.jpg
20200319_155610.jpg

Now i need to powder coat it. I have left over raptor liner, but i don't think it'll look as good.

Picked up the bumper this morning. The powder coater had it done in less than 24hrs :bounce: :bounce2:.

I started to put it together and realized they forgot to send me the fog light brackets and relocation hardware. So I'll be slowly mounting the light bars and winch until the pieces show up.
20200324_084654 (1).jpg

I had to make my own light bar brackets, no big deal, but that was time wasted. Will be adding the winch and switching out the cable for a synthetic rope.
20200324_143956.jpg

Added the ditch lights.
20200323_120907.jpg

This truck wouldn't be bad if it was more responsive and had better MPGs. As such, it won't be my primary apocalypse truck.

Does anyone make ditch light brackets for the 60 series?

Picked up the bumper this morning. The powder coater had it done in less than 24hrs :bounce: :bounce2:.

I started to put it together and realized they forgot to send me the fog light brackets and relocation hardware. So I'll be slowly mounting the light bars and winch until the pieces show up.
View attachment 2247785

I had to make my own light bar brackets, no big deal, but that was time wasted. Will be adding the winch and switching out the cable for a synthetic rope.
View attachment 2247786
Added the ditch lights.
View attachment 2247787

This truck wouldn't be bad if it was more responsive and had better MPGs. As such, it won't be my primary apocalypse truck.

Does anyone make ditch light brackets for the 60 series?
Plus it has the issue of needing a battery for starting and keeping it running.

Plus it has the issue of needing a battery for starting and keeping it running.
This Tacoma is a 6spd manual. I never buy automatics, ever.

If we survive this coronapocalypse, I fully intend on swapping a Toyota diesel in there. Just need it to go over 150k miles or so first.

This Tacoma is a 6spd manual. I never buy automatics, ever.

If we survive this coronapocalypse, I fully intend on swapping a Toyota diesel in there. Just need it to go over 150k miles or so first.
Nice! I wish the wife’s 4Runner was a manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom