Bestop doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use the Bestop upper half doors on my Aqualu lower half doors. The fit at the top is not good with a gap that lets rain in. The fit into the lower half doors is somewhat difficult in and out.

There really is a gap. The doors stick out past the edge of the top and at any speed the gap opens letting rain in. I don't drive it much during cold weather so this isn't that big of a problem for me and in the warm weather I take the top off completely and only use the bikini top. Never the less, the fit between the top and the top of the half doors isn't very good. As an aside, there is a Velcro strip inside above the door opening that never does much either. If I could afford a reproduction top and bows I would buy that and junk the Bestop.

DSCN0260.JPG

I liked mine and didn't have big expectations for a good seal. It's a soft door.

What I hated and the reason I sold them is the latch design. It uses a pin in place of the striker plate. After gashing my ass on it a few times getting in my truck, I yanked them off.

Last edited:
The newer doors use a striker plate, I had older doors also and yeah I tore off many belt loops on my jeans with the pin.

I have the the new doors and they are what they are, basically your only choice other than original Toyota softtop doors (try to find a pair of them)

On the top fitting to the bottom it is just tough to align all the pins at one time, I just cut them off in steps, so you put one in and then the next and so on.

And David1947, to fix that gap, just bend the door and it will fix that gap.

Tried bending the top of the door. The upper portion actually is in contact with the rod that goes from the support behind the door to the windshield frame. Good idea though. Thanks!

The newer doors use a striker plate, I had older doors also and yeah I tore off many belt loops on my jeans with the pin.

I have the the new doors and they are what they are, basically your only choice other than original Toyota softtop doors (try to find a pair of them)

On the top fitting to the bottom it is just tough to align all the pins at one time, I just cut them off in steps, so you put one in and then the next and so on.

And David1947, to fix that gap, just bend the door and it will fix that gap.
So you're saying with a little tweaking there's no Gap?

Yeah, they are not perfect, but you can bend a little here and there and they will fit pretty good, I doubt you will ever get them to be completely water tight, but I stay dry, but the floor will have some water

I bought a set of the upper/lower doors last year from Bestop. You have to adjust the pegs with a rubber mallet to get them to fit without cussing every time. The upper marries really well with the lower because of the heavy thick velcro. I use them with just a bikini top in the rain, and they seal out just about everything except back seat area. We even use the whole soft door with the hard-top in the early spring and late fall as long as weather permits in Ohio. I think I found the best deal at the time on Amazon. From my research, if you buy just the lower-half Bestop door item number, it is a lower quality vinyl instead of the denim/canvas.

Yeah, they are not perfect, but you can bend a little here and there and they will fit pretty good, I doubt you will ever get them to be completely water tight, but I stay dry, but the floor will have some water
You mind please taking a picture of any gaps you have now that you have tweaked yours just so I have an idea? If you get time that is. Its a fair chunk to spend and Id like to know whats going on with any gaps.

Stripe - Here are the best top doors I purchased May of last year. I used the lower half over the summer and never had to install the uppers but I did try them tonight. With no modification to upper or lower, I was able to slide the upper section into the lower with no problem. Took me maybe 15 seconds to put the two sections together.

Lower sections:
IMG_0337.jpg

Upper Sections:
IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Upper & Lower sections together:
IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Dang, they went together a lot quicker than I thought they would. It took more time to take apart due to the velcro seam between the two sections...Now I wonder how they might fit on my rig as a full unit?...

I bought a set of the upper/lower doors last year from Bestop. You have to adjust the pegs with a rubber mallet to get them to fit without cussing every time. The upper marries really well with the lower because of the heavy thick velcro. I use them with just a bikini top in the rain, and they seal out just about everything except back seat area. We even use the whole soft door with the hard-top in the early spring and late fall as long as weather permits in Ohio. I think I found the best deal at the time on Amazon. From my research, if you buy just the lower-half Bestop door item number, it is a lower quality vinyl instead of the denim/canvas.
So, you use a bestop soft door with the factor hard top? I was curious if this would work. Pics please if you got them. Also, pics with soft doors and bikini top would be appreciated.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Sorry. The uppers are in attic as I just use the lowers in the spring and fall now since I bought an FJ80, LX470, and a 911 since I posted this. Ignore the pretty purple noodle - it’s so my 911 doors don’t hit when opening. The vinyl on these (black denim) is very thick vs the Naugahyde-like Lowers (black crush) If I remember correctly. When I did use the upper/lower combo, it made a tight seal with the hard top. Just a small gap at the 90 degree upper corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom