Best timing chain kit - year 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched endlessly, but I find most timing chain posts are from 2009, where people recommend the NLA 'enginebuilder' kit.

So, in June of 2020, what kit should I buy? Need a single-chain setup for a July 1982 22R engine.

Thanks -

TCK.png

22re performance out of Chico has an OSK setup with one metal guide. I’d call and ask for the other one to be swapped out for metal as well...

I would a-la-carte the parts, especially the chain. OEM for everything except the guides. Then pick the steel guides that tickle you.

I say this after an aftermarket chain left me stranded outside of Flagstaff in a raging snow storm. Bent a valve too. To make matters worse, I was on my way to Baja. Had this happened the next day I would have been f'd. Oh, and not my install, but I guarantee the replacement was OEM.

Special thanks to Mudder @MoGas for getting my girl taken care of. Never underestimate the power of MUD.

I would a-la-carte the parts, especially the chain. OEM for everything except the guides. Then pick the steel guides that tickle you.

TOTALLY agree. Not worth the savings/risk. I've installed a couple of the old engnbldr kits, they were... "OK" I guess. But the gaskets didn't fit right, the tensioner was sketchy, and the front main seal was terrible. Take your VIN to Toyota and get the OEM parts, then source a set of metal guides, such as:

So I tried calling Toyota Performance for the kit above. They told me to call LCE for their kit.
LCE was out of parts due to covid, ordered the metal chain guides from them anyways.
Came across Yotashops kit but the price seems too good to be true. ($60) Anyone have experience with their kit?
I priced out the yotashop timing set contents on toyotapartsdeal and its at around $400 with tax and shipping.

Just ordered the 22re chain kit, along with the OEM oil pump and Aisin water pump yotashop offers.
Under $180 to my door, best value and quality I found.

Follow-up - while my timing cover was lightly grooved, which caused me to order the kit, the chain was tight and the guides un-worn, which means someone had already done this. The PO didn't tell me this! So, I returned the timing chain kit. Dodged that bullet, I guess. Every part in the Yotashop box was labeled 'made in Japan', so that was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom