Best soft top for fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Bestop is 30 years now, still in good shape but.....it did shrink!:doh:

lc-fj-2008-1.jpg

You can see on the rear corner where the fabric pvc curves upwards, on the rear it was so short that i had to extend that area about 2 inches!

But........30 years ........i guess thats ok, i would buy one again!:D

For those of us who don't have stock Toy tops, I'll vote for Bestop. Had one on my '81, and it was great. Even in the dead of a Colorado winter, with both heaters on, I was snug and warm. :cheers:Ned

I like the look of Ehsan's top better than the OEM, I'll vote for Ehsan. Although, I prefer topless in more ways than one!!:hillbilly:

I would love to get a soft top but damn they are expensive. $600-$800. I guess used is the way to go for a deal. That first Bestop looks pretty good, but OEM style would be even better. I love the look on BigRed's 40. That things a monster.

OEM top

I like the looks of the OEM tops. Read the thread on getting them. :crybaby: Looks like if I want one I better get my order in. Are there any doors that go with the OEM top? BTW, thanks guys for all of the great pictures and info. This forum is great for figuring out what road to travel down.

Also. I have a custom roll cage in my 74 fj, and it fits under my hardtop. So, does this mean that the bars that go under the OEM top will fit? Have my fingers xed. Again thanks a lot. You guys are great.

1974 Sept. fj40 :bang:
1992 Prado LC (70 series) :clap:
2005 Prius :hmm:

Here is a picture of the bow work for the OEM top.

cruiser6-12-06002.jpg

cruiser6-12-06003.jpg

I'm a big fan of the OEM tops too, but they can get spendy especially if you don't have bows. I had (I think) a Besttop either from Specter or Man-a-Fre (can't remember) on my 40 and I actually really liked it. Loved that I could roll up all three sides for a full length bikini top feel. My one complaint was the little flaps at the top of the front doors. They were only secured with a strip of velcro. Sometimes while doing about 70mph or so they'd pull loose. Nothing really bad would happen, just annoying. I added a couple of snaps to keep them secure.

sides up with hard doors
poser1-1.jpg

wife driving, sides up no doors
0006.jpg

Full top down, no doors
parked.jpg

one of the doors with regular bikini top and rear duster. This was a great setup too if I didn't have my kids along in the back seat. With either hard or soft doors this was very comfortable even on the highway and kept my mostly dry in the rain. Nice if you had a case where you didn't want a full softtop on the truck but still wanted a little more protection from the elements.
towing_b.jpg

Something that seldom gets mentioned when talking about OEM and Ehsan tops: They don't fold down. If you want topless you have to uninstall them, which isn't that hard but it takes a little time. Plus you'll need somewhere to store all the pieces. That's fine at home, but on a camping/wheeling trip it could mean stashing it in the woods or whatever else to prevent theft or damage etc.

You can just pull the canvas off, but I don't think I will ever wheel my rig with those bows installed, at least not in tight quarters. They're expensive and hard to fabricate and they wouldn't last an hour before getting hopelessly bent and busted.

Sometimes looks ain't everything. . .

Something that seldom gets mentioned when talking about OEM and Ehsan tops: They don't fold down. If you want topless you have to uninstall them, which isn't that hard but it takes a little time. Plus you'll need somewhere to store all the pieces. That's fine at home, but on a camping/wheeling trip it could mean stashing it in the woods or whatever else to prevent theft or damage etc.

You can just pull the canvas off, but I don't think I will ever wheel my rig with those bows installed, at least not in tight quarters. They're expensive and hard to fabricate and they wouldn't last an hour before getting hopelessly bent and busted.

Sometimes looks ain't everything. . .

those that know me when i did wheel alot...know that i never removed my bows...and never had an issue with them getting hungup on anything...you take different lines sometimes ...but...not an issue...they are very strong...only wacked a tree once with them and not even a ding...the canvas i usually roll up in the front and i use straps on the windshild hardtop holes to hold the canvas when wheeling...i'll see if i got a pic :)

BTW...a new set of fenders crumbled like a tin can with the same tree :)

EDIT found a pic...its in 99 when i still had my kayline fabric on ...but you see what you can do with the canvas ...i never take it all the way off ;)
johnnyc 1999.jpg

Last edited:
those that know me when i did wheel alot...know that i never removed my bows...and never had an issue with them getting hungup on anything...you take different lines sometimes ...but...not an issue...they are very strong...only wacked a tree once with them and not even a ding...the canvas i usually roll up in the front and i use straps on the windshild hardtop holes to hold the canvas when wheeling...i'll see if i got a pic :)

BTW...a new set of fenders crumbled like a tin can with the same tree :)

EDIT found a pic...its in 99 when i still had my kayline fabric on ...but you see what you can do with the canvas ...i never take it all the way off ;)

I guess it depends on what kind of wheeling you do. I tend to stick to moderate stuff most of the time, but once in a great while I end up "shreddin' the knar" and the only different line available is retreat. ;)

Cool idea rolling the canvas forward like that. Definitely plan to try that this Spring. I can picture the straps in the hardtop holes while they're being used to hold the top, but you must remove them for highway driving so they don't flap in the wind? A closeup would be cool. :D theo

...but you must remove them for highway driving so they don't flap in the wind? A closeup would be cool. :D theo

i dont remove them...i run my top year round...new england weather also...no flapping...they stay there nice and tight :)

if i get the time i''l take a close-up

<p>
I guess it depends on what kind of wheeling you do. theo
</p>

My wheeling used to consist of running thru the thicket and dense forest of VT, NH and the adaks of NYS...mud trees and rock....fun stuff...and i was always going with tyke moses and rabid (not that you would know them) most of the time.....sooo....running intermediate and hard core was my only option :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom