U.S soft top possibility version 2 east coast (1 Viewer)

What window configuration would you prefer in an OEM style soft top ?

• No windows

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3 solid windows :1per side, 1 back

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • 5 window : split side windows, 1 solid back

Votes: 70 26.5%
  • 7 windows : split side windows, 3 back windows

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • More than 1 type, I have multiple 'Cruisers

Votes: 15 5.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
I did'nt want to hi-jack.

I don't know how to link the thread, maybe someone could help.

I've been eagerly following the thread "possibility for soft tops in the U.S".
There seems to be alot of interest in producing good quality ,American made,OEM style tops,without the long wait/shipping cost . I want one too!! ;) :D

My brother-in-law and I have been discussing the same Idea for about a year now. But up to this point ,I haven't had the means to buy a Toyota OEM soft top and bows for him to use as a template.

He does custom canvas work ,custom awnings, boat covers, sails, jeep soft tops, as well as ,various other custom products that he sells.
The quality of his work is top knotch. He is always looking for new ventures. As a proffessional in a small family owned company,he has the time ,and the desire, to accomplish this.

His shop is well equipped to handle custom materials. And has a metal fabricator /welder on staff with plenty of tools. [for their custom awning frames]

I've read some debate about production cost's of the frames in the original thread,but I really think he might be able to make this work.

Perhaps to begin with, maybe just bows that would be very similar, yet allow use of the OEM fabric and give the same look that we all love. Anything is better than "Best-crap" .:rolleyes:

He commonly works on "side projects" . And is eager to give this a shot!

This may not be big proffit stuff for a large American company, But may be worthwhile for my brother in law.

Anyway just like the first thread, we wondered if anyone would be willing to loan their top and bows and perhaps a little time/ideas to the project?

He lives in Cary, NC and the shop is in Raleigh. I know we have good Mud representation there!!

I'm posting this on his behalf , as he is not too familiar with the cruiser world.

He should be posting up to answer any questions that I cannot. [When he has time, please be patient] :cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah...I would be interested in a top. A US made version would be great!

I would be interested. I guess you just need someone to loan you a top and a set of bows.

I follow threads of soft tops even though shipping to the UK would probably be too expensive, anyway go east coast - your closer to me!

Other post https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/199984-possibility-soft-tops-us.html hope no one minds me pasting it in for reference but as was said on that thread - a bit of competition or perhaps assistance between the parties will help everone.

Thank's Malcb!!

I don't mean any offence to the other poster, Tad.
If he can do it first, great! I may by one from him!

But I do think someone needs to. :cheers:

Also , I think with someone in the states, such as my bro in law, there maybe more options with fabric type ,color, and design.

Last edited:
Thank's Malcb!!

I don't mean any offence to the other poster, Tad.
If he can do it first, great! I may by one from him!

But I do think someone needs to. :cheers:

I don't see any reason why bro in law shouldn't persue this just because there may be other competition. It sounds like he is set up and ready to go if he can get the templates and bows,etc. Sounds like it would be pretty easy to slide into it if he is already up and running with this type business. Then I can ditch my Bestop! :bounce:

His name is Travis. He should be registering/posting up shortly. [ he's eating dinner]

So stick around if you have any questions this evening .

It's a great idea.....................It has been tried. Get your hands on an original Toyota top. Your bro-in-law needs to sit down with top, bows, etc. knock one out, figure out costs and get a firm price out there with options on material, etc. All the "I'll take one!" comments aren't worth squat until there are funds backing it.

Not being negative here, a big stumbling block is absorbing the development costs. This may be a possibility with an inside line and a family business, so you have a shot. But until you can show the product, and fix a price you are not going to know how many you can sell.

My own opinion is that if you can do it under $1500 with bows, you've got a chance. Under $1,000 with bows, with a reasonable delivery, you've got a winner. It should be able to be done. :)

I'd buy one if it were US made and the wait wasn't a year like the Ehsan ones. Waiting a year is the only reason I haven't bought one of their's yet.

Thanks for taking the initiative. Keep us updated!

Cruiser_nerd

I understand what you mean fully! Thanks for the input.

I've read everthing I can about the subject.

I believe my brother's situation would really be conducive to this venture , Being that he does't need this to be a full time gig. [who knows !] And more than likely has all of the materials/tools in his shop right now to complete one.

Keep the comments coming!

Highlandcruzer's Brother-In-Law

I can absolutely make these soft tops! The responses to my brother-in-law, Highlandcruzer, have been interesting. I've been doing custom canvas work for over 20 years, and I've not met a design that I haven't been able to duplicate, or fabricate. I'm interested in finding someone in my area with an original soft top and/or frame that I can use to pattern. I'd be willing to give that person a free, brand new top, to keep. I'm located in the Raleigh, NC area. Once I can make the first one, I will be able to give a fixed price on the cover and the frame together, or the cover and frame separately.

soft tops

I am probably a typical paki top buyer I needed a top but just couldn't bring myself to put the bestop on and not like it ( so therefore a waste) So i searched for a hardtop--either too much or too far to ship. Then I ordered a Paki top

Eshan has the business cause he is fulfilling expectations of quality and he has found a niche market cause no-one else is doing it--good on him

The truth is that if you want the business you have to do all the legwork and take all the risk and decide for yourself if it is worth it.

Here's how bad we need tops though, we send hundreds or a thousand or so to someone we don't know to send it to someone we don't in another country and wait an undetermined time to get our tops with probably no legal recourse if it goes bad.

Having said that the people involved seem to have a good reputation and a proven record already so not disparaging them, but still you see what I mean--not the typical transaction is it?

The demand may not be huge but what demand there is is strong!

The thing about Eshan's tops are that we can see they look good and have MUD feedback on them. No-one who has talked about starting to make them here has actually made one --so through trial and error, having an engineer make up drawings, or getting a loaned one or buying one you'd have to produce one to have me take it seriously.

There's probably a lot of people who could do this but aren't, I think there is probably demand for other vintage 4x4s as well. for that matter there are a lot of jeeps around with only a crappy choice of tops

I ordered mine already cause right now there is only one way to get them that I can see anyway

I still say that there is no way for anyone in this country to make a quality sewn canvas top for anywhere near $350 dollars. The bows are another $tory all together.

How much was Eshan charging for his tops? I do belive it was more than $350

Edit: $350 for top then $ bows then $ for doors then $ for ship by the time your done it's more than $350.

Last edited:
I still say that there is no way for anyone in this country to make a quality sewn canvas top for anywhere near $350 dollars. The bows are another $tory all together.

You're right. A quality canvas top cannot be made for $350. Quality canvas -- UV rated/protected acrylic canvas (i.e. Sunbrella brand canvas)-- sells for $22.50 a yard. Not to mention the UV rated thread, the UV rated clear vinyl for the windows, etc., that I use. I only produce extremely high quality, made to last products. From what I've read, the soft tops many are buying overseas are made with simple cotton duck canvas. Again, I just need someone locally that will allow me to use their frame or soft top as a pattern. And, they will receive their soft top for free. In all the years of my canvas work, I have never had anyone return anything to me dissatisfied. I have very little overhead, all equipment is paid for, so the only charge will be for the time and material to produce good quality tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom