Events/Trails Bay Area - Roll Call and Planning Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agree! Got a link?
These are the ones I have. They are both frs and gmrs. To legally use the gmrs frequencies in the radio there is a $70 licence fee that gives you a FCC call sign. The license is good for 10 years and covers your whole family. Without the license just use the radio on its frs frequncies.

Amazon product ASIN B013QIFCLE

These are the ones I have. They are both frs and gmrs. To legally use the gmrs frequencies in the radio there is a $70 licence fee that gives you a FCC call sign. The license is good for 10 years and covers your whole family. Without the license just use the radio on its frs frequncies.

Amazon product ASIN B013QIFCLE

What’s your experience with these as far as range? I think even a couple of miles of reliable range would be good enough for trips like yesterday.

What’s your experience with these as far as range? I think even a couple of miles of reliable range would be good enough for trips like yesterday.

Paul and I were using those $70 handheld radios and had good communication between us when you and I were at the top of the lookout and he was in the parking lot where we all met up for the group picture.

I’ve noticed that dense trees/forests limit the range of the handhelds. The higher powered 15w radios with external antennas like this one have even better range.

@1world1love here’s a killer shot of the LX all stretched out. Your smile says it all

EB24BE1C-E35D-4686-927C-3B27C42EEFFE.jpeg

It was wonderful to meet all of you, check out your trucks, and run a few trails! Hope y'all had a good second half of the day after I peeled off!

Yeah, it was great meeting you. You’ve got an awesome truck. Hopefully we’ll be able to do some more trails in the future.

FE7D4FD1-C65F-4F13-BB07-5F5528078B93.jpeg

It was wonderful to meet all of you, check out your trucks, and run a few trails! Hope y'all had a good second half of the day after I peeled off!
Nice meeting you @indycole
Looking forward to another where we have more time to geek out over the 200s.

Out of curiosity are you doing a 6 tire rotation ?!?

Rad Bumper set up on your LC!

Nice meeting you @indycole
Looking forward to another where we have more time to geek out over the 200s.

Out of curiosity are you doing a 6 tire rotation ?!?

Rad Bumper set up on your LC!

I did a six tire rotation for a while but then got annoyed with only have 5/6 tires with TPMS support and it wasn't worth swapping that out each time. Nowadays, I do a 5-tire rotation with my roughest tire filling the sixth slot.

Hi Bay Area folk - I have a free "Bracketeer" available if anybody is interested. This is a front seat mount for a fire extinguisher:

See this thread for more discussion:

It is brand new and in original packaging. I didn't install it because I decided to go with Element extinguishers instead.

I am not selling it. I am posting this here because while I am happy to give it to anybody in the area that is interested, I am not interested in packing it up and shipping it, so if any of you local peeps are interested and near Burlingame, I am happy to pass it on to somebody who will use it.

Hey all. I am thinking about a camping trip the weekend of May 1, either Friday-Sunday, or Saturday to Monday.

Was thinking about Gold Lake, or doing a big loop through Mendocino, or really anything.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Wish I could make it. Gold lake is a great spot. Looking forward to another meet up in the future.

I'm in. Only barrier is the travel/quarantine rules in Santa Clara County that's keeping me within 150 miles so my kid can get out of my house and go back to in-person school :) Hopefully that will be lifted before too long.
I hope so

Hi all. Summer is fast approaching and we are starting to put together some plans. I am not sure if anybody is interested in any of these potential trips, but thought I might throw them out for consideration.

We are planning our annual trek over to the Eastern Sierra for the week of June 13. We haven't started working out the details, but I went ahead and got day passes for Yosemite in order to get passage over Tioga Pass, assuming that it will be opened by then. Starting mid-may, they will be limiting visitors to reserved ticket holders only.

We may do airbnb in Mammoth or find a central camping spot, or maybe some combination of the two. We may also change our plans entirely so....

I am looking at some potential trails:

- Laurel Lakes
- Silverado Canyon
- Glass Mountain
- Wheeler Crest
- Bodie

We also want to plan a trip up to Lake Faucherie. There is a group camping area that requires reservations. I am waiting on a call back from the office to see when they start accepting. I am going to reserve at least one long weekend there, even if we are the only ones camping. Its only $100 for the whole site and well worth it.

Also in the same vicinity is Bowman Lake, White Rock Lake, Fordyce Lake, and Meadow Lake area. We may consider an additional weekend trip for one of those destinations.

We also want to plan a trip up to Lake Faucherie. There is a group camping area that requires reservations. I am waiting on a call back from the office to see when they start accepting. I am going to reserve at least one long weekend there, even if we are the only ones camping. Its only $100 for the whole site and well worth it.

Also in the same vicinity is Bowman Lake, White Rock Lake, Fordyce Lake, and Meadow Lake area. We may consider an additional weekend trip for one of those destinations.
This sounds right up my alley. I'll be watching for updates. This area is fantastic.

I'm always interesting in Eastern Sierra fun. Wheeler Pass shelfs will feel very narrow sketchy and in the 200 but should be fine as long as the trail is dry :)

I'm always interesting in Eastern Sierra fun. Wheeler Pass shelfs will feel very narrow sketchy and in the 200 but should be fine as long as the trail is dry :)

Are you talking about the rough trail that veers off and goes up Wheeler Ridge from sand canyon? its been a long time since I've been in that area and I've heard that is a pretty sketchy trail. There is a less sketchy trail that goes to a fairly sizable lake right at the edge of the JMW.

Any other trails that you are interested in checking out over there?

Hi all. Summer is fast approaching and we are starting to put together some plans. I am not sure if anybody is interested in any of these potential trips, but thought I might throw them out for consideration.

We are planning our annual trek over to the Eastern Sierra for the week of June 13. We haven't started working out the details, but I went ahead and got day passes for Yosemite in order to get passage over Tioga Pass, assuming that it will be opened by then. Starting mid-may, they will be limiting visitors to reserved ticket holders only.

We may do airbnb in Mammoth or find a central camping spot, or maybe some combination of the two. We may also change our plans entirely so....

I am looking at some potential trails:

- Laurel Lakes
- Silverado Canyon
- Glass Mountain
- Wheeler Crest
- Bodie
Definitely interested and will watch as we get closer. Unfortunately, June is probably going to be one of my busiest months this year, so I’ll have to play it by ear down to the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom