BAT FJ-60 Auction - Low bidding activity - Specific Vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mud!

I've been following along BAT auctions for about 6 months now as I'm on the hunt for a '85-'87 60 with low miles and good bones, but not wanting to pay for one that has gone through a full restoration (55-60k+).

An auction ended the other day at a surprisingly low price. As I don't have anyone close to me whom I can reach out to about why a vehicle didn't raise attention, I was hoping to get some insight from some of you guys who know 60's real well.

It has really low miles (93k). All the typical rust locations seem to be free of rust based on the photos. I get why the seller had a reserve higher than $24,000, but I do not understand why this vehicle wasn't bid up to at least 30k or even 35k. Based on auctions in the last few weeks I would have imagined it would have attracted a little more attention than it did. Everything seems to be intact and it looks to run well. There was conversation about the addition of the two tone paint not being original, but can something like that lower the price by over 10-15k? There are a few dents and scratches, but nothing that I can fathom would make folks not want to bid on it.

And input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMO, occasionally it’s just timing and not about the specific vehicle. There are a good number that sell for high dollars, yet there is a fairly limited pool of buyers with 30-50k ready to drop on an old Toyota at any given time. The fact that auctions in the weeks leading up to this one brought more money can also mean that serious buyer pool was even smaller when this auction dropped. In this particular case it might have pulled more money without the two-tone, as that’s not to everyones taste and when the dollars get higher, buyers tend to get pickier about it being original and/or to their taste

Gas gallon >5$ Certainly doesn’t help this 10mpg rig. Not to mention used car price index is softening recently. Probably this demand cycle for these is petering out. I hope at least... bring back the good ole days... there’s too much funny money out there and esp in the “overland” type vehicle market. People spending absurd $ on cruisers and restos etc has brought an unfamiliar tinge of snotty pricks to the land cruiser community.. people willing to spend 40,50,60k+ With no care.

Agree with the previous comments. Probably a combination of things-timing, how many other similar 60s were going at the same time, gas prices, auction fatigue, etc.
Also if you scan the previous auctions and filter down to similar setups, you'll see some went for less than $24K, some way less. It might just be me but the paint job didn't appeal either.

It’s because it isn’t worth $24K. Sure ding dongs with lots of money sometimes will get in a bidding frenzy which can sometimes jack the price way up - but they’re ding dongs (in my book).
In my book (the book of OSS) a 60 is only worth $25K if it has a rebuilt engine, no rust, excellent body and paint and nice interior. (A cream puff).
Geezus- they cost $16.5K brand new on the dealership lot back in the day.

I am hoping they are cooling off in price and going back down. They are not worth the prices they pay on bringatrailer. You can find one much easier and cheaper on craigslist. But even then craigslist folks are following bringatrailer pricing. These 35+ year old vehicles need everything to be done to them. Most folks don't realize that. And at the mileages most are now around 260k+ you will need a full engine rebuild or a new engine.

Gas prices have devalued my 60 to me. I still love her but it's time to ride the motorcycle. Let's all pray gas prices drop soon.

Yeah my 62 is a serious gas hog. I can almost watch the gas gauge go down while driving. 10 mpg probably.... And I have it tuned and running perfectly. Sometimes it gets better but rarely.

The non factory paint job is probably a significant negative for the collector types. I
Hi Mud!

I've been following along BAT auctions for about 6 months now as I'm on the hunt for a '85-'87 60 with low miles and good bones, but not wanting to pay for one that has gone through a full restoration (55-60k+).
Perhaps you should have bid on that one. It's not often that a low mileage 60 series comes up. The non factory paint job is probably a significant negative for the collector types. As a previous owner of an all red 62, I like this two tone.

Is a 60 series worth more than 25K? Not to me, but then I'm not wealthy and also a bit cheap. If the price for a Cruiser is over $6K count me out!

Thanks for the input everyone. I actually was the winning bidder (under the reserve though), but was very surprised that no one contested it at the end. I bet a lot has to do with the paint job. But it does only have 96k miles on it! And it checks out with the Carfax as the mileage was reported often throughout the years.

Thanks for the input everyone. I actually was the winning bidder (under the reserve though), but was very surprised that no one contested it at the end. I bet a lot has to do with the paint job. But it does only have 96k miles on it! And it checks out with the Carfax as the mileage was reported often throughout the years.
LA? You probably would have been pulling your hair out annually trying to get it to pass smog.

Theres no way that truck reaches a high bidding result in the BAT world unless there is someone with too much money who has to have that exact truck regardless of common sense. There are too many blemishes, dents, scratches, suspect paint etc. Those tan panels painted on the doors look to be something added after the fact based on the roughness of how they handled the fuel filler area. BAT bidders like clean and OEM as much as possible. Cracked dash, rust on frame, paint of unknown quality, lots of dents etc etc are all things that will prevent it from bidding high.

That paint job sketched me out. Especially with the owner thinking it was oem factory. I also get Leary of low mileage cruisers. Sometimes that doesn’t add up to better in my opinion. Especially if you’ve actually drank the land cruiser koolaid which I have and think mileage at it’s core is just a number. Look for a clean higher mileage land cruiser. Be open to some repairs such as rust and don’t fall for the inflated BaT low mileage bull****.

I also get Leary of low mileage cruisers. Sometimes that doesn’t add up to better in my opinion.

Toyota reliability + low mileage = original parts and no work done. Now you get to. Enjoy.

The seller acquired the truck in February 2021, and subsequent work has reportedly included replacing the tires, battery, and front bumper as well as rebuilding the front knuckles.

Battery and tires. Sounds like a low mileage truck alright. At least the knuckles are knocked out.

Teasing here. Its a solid looking truck OP. Congrats on the purchase. A little high price wise for my liking but you do you. Enjoy it.

I am not sure red is as desirable to as many people as some of the other factory colors. At least not with the non-factory tan accents. Or maybe that is my personal bias talking.

I also agree the paint work in general appeared sketchy. But all in all a nice truck.

I was watching that one too. It didn't meet reserve so it may resurface on BAT or somewhere else. Looked like a good deal. I almost bid on it at the end as it was so low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom