Auxiliary Fuel Tanks for 200s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I buy a LC, I would be in for the 16g. Is this something that Slee could do or a different type of shop? Would this void vehicle warranty and any possible issues that could go wrong.

Do you have any estimate on the time associated with the install, just to ballpark the costs for a 3rd party doing the work?
The manufacturer of the kit - Long Range Automotive - says 5 hours for the Australian installs. We will update installation instructions and time estimate following our first shop install on @indycole 's truck. At this point, the primary difference between AUS and USA installs appears to be relocation of the charcoal canister and while we have heard some stories about US installs, we just don't have any hard data yet with which to estimate the added time required to deal with canister, venting, codes, etc.

The manufacturer of the kit - Long Range Automotive - says 5 hours for the Australian installs. We will update installation instructions and time estimate following our first shop install on @indycole 's truck. At this point, the primary difference between AUS and USA installs appears to be relocation of the charcoal canister and while we have heard some stories about US installs, we just don't have any hard data yet with which to estimate the added time required to deal with canister, venting, codes, etc.

We are all eagerly awaiting the details of the install, as I would possibly be interested in this mod down the road also. My 200 is still under the factory warranty and I would want to be fully aware of all the implications of adding an aftermarket fuel tank, as well as state and federal emission compliance.

@wardharris thank you for heading up this ever so needed upgrade to the 200's rather small fuel footprint.

We are all eagerly awaiting the details of the install, as I would possibly be interested in this mod down the road also. My 200 is still under the factory warranty and I would want to be fully aware of all the implications of adding an aftermarket fuel tank, as well as state and federal emission compliance.

@wardharris thank you for heading up this ever so needed upgrade to the 200's rather small fuel footprint.
We share your enthusiasm and look forward to providing answers. We will stock LRA tanks for all offroad Toyotas once we get the installs documented and fill the supply chain...... :)

So just to confirm, these tanks going to be something that will continue to be available from you guys, or is this just going to be few special bulk shipments?

So just to confirm, these tanks going to be something that will continue to be available from you guys, or is this just going to be few special bulk shipments?
Yessir. Not a special order/group buy kind of thing, but a normal part of our standard business offering going forward.

We will order for stock, put them on the shelf and sell/ship on demand from inventory in Stockton. Still early regarding US installation instruction updates, but we plan to make it easier, safer, faster and more economical to buy, install and enjoy longer-range fuel options for all offroad Toyotas.

I am too old and Georg is too smart to do this on a half-assed basis. :)

PS - We are looking forward to having some fun with this as well..... :)
upload_2017-10-18_8-33-24.png

Email sent. I am in.

If I buy a LC, I would be in for the 16g. Is this something that Slee could do or a different type of shop? Would this void vehicle warranty and any possible issues that could go wrong.

We have done these tanks before. I don't want to discourage the guys from Cruiser Brothers, but they are a pita into trucks that was not set up for double tanks. Anytime you are going to relocate the charcoal canister and associated plumbing you are going to mess with your warranty. Issues are a evaporative system that can not deal with the volume of gas. Of you added a 2nd charcoal canister then that might even be a bigger issue. The truck runs diagnostics on the integrity of the pressurized fuel system and that gets messed up you deal with codes all the time.

The other issue is that there is not a lot of space under the 200 to relocate canister to.

Also the physical plumbing is a pain unless the kits are complete to put a tank into a truck that never had one. Otherwise you are cutting fuel inlet pipes, returns etc and for the most part it is difficult to get the right size rubber connector tubes. So I would make double sure that the kits contain everything.

Then there is the goofy double tank inlet. If you are in CA with those pumps that have to pressurize to pump it sucks. The idea is that you put the nozzle in the hole for the tank you need to fill. That just sucks in most cases since the fuel backs up into the combined area and the pump shuts off. I had one of those on my 100 and it sucked. The 80 selectable one was so much better. Also it does not have a the restrictor for the leaded nozzles (why they still check this makes no sense) / spill flap. So depending on where you live this might be an issue.

Just some background on the tanks.

Christo -

Thanks for the input. I will let Georg respond in more detail, but as noted above, we are looking to create solutions and that may take a little work....

We have anticipated time effort and expense to get them in and working. Some specific responses:
  • Factory warranties are always an issue with offroad mods and upgrades. We anticipate most, if not all, installs will be in post-warranty vehicles or by owners that don't care.
  • Can relocation and addition of a second can are both on the dance card.
  • Code exception and management also anticipated.
  • The kits won't include everything, which is why we are careful to disclose need for Beta install in our shop, along with development of instructions and guidance to the manufacturer to bring the kits to a more complete configuration for our US trucks.
  • The dual-fill inlet has restrictors for unleaded in the current kits.
  • More to follow as available.
Again, thanks for the input. We will keep the community updated as we work toward solutions that work at a level of effort and expense.

We have done these tanks before. I don't want to discourage the guys from Cruiser Brothers, but they are a pita into trucks that was not set up for double tanks. Anytime you are going to relocate the charcoal canister and associated plumbing you are going to mess with your warranty. Issues are a evaporative system that can not deal with the volume of gas. Of you added a 2nd charcoal canister then that might even be a bigger issue. The truck runs diagnostics on the integrity of the pressurized fuel system and that gets messed up you deal with codes all the time.

The other issue is that there is not a lot of space under the 200 to relocate canister to.

Also the physical plumbing is a pain unless the kits are complete to put a tank into a truck that never had one. Otherwise you are cutting fuel inlet pipes, returns etc and for the most part it is difficult to get the right size rubber connector tubes. So I would make double sure that the kits contain everything.

Then there is the goofy double tank inlet. If you are in CA with those pumps that have to pressurize to pump it sucks. The idea is that you put the nozzle in the hole for the tank you need to fill. That just sucks in most cases since the fuel backs up into the combined area and the pump shuts off. I had one of those on my 100 and it sucked. The 80 selectable one was so much better. Also it does not have a the restrictor for the leaded nozzles (why they still check this makes no sense) / spill flap. So depending on where you live this might be an issue.

Just some background on the tanks.

Last edited:
In response to the boiling/burping evap system issues:
In moab on top of the world, gas fumes were abundant in the truck. I had fuel pushing out of the fill cap, and tried to relieve the pressure, but was concerned when I loosend the cap a little and fuel sprayed out.
We smelled the fumes a little more on golden spike, late in the afternoon.

since returning, i was getting a Christmas tree of dash lights. 10 error codes all pertaining to the evap system. It seemed to go away a week after we got back, but has come on a couple times this past week.

@TonyP and @Markuson had similar issues. trucks are 2008s, and 2013.

In response to the boiling/burping evap system issues:
In moab on top of the world, gas fumes were abundant in the truck. I had fuel pushing out of the fill cap, and tried to relieve the pressure, but was concerned when I loosend the cap a little and fuel sprayed out.
We smelled the fumes a little more on golden spike, late in the afternoon.

since returning, i was getting a Christmas tree of dash lights. 10 error codes all pertaining to the evap system. It seemed to go away a week after we got back, but has come on a couple times this past week.

@TonyP and @Markuson had similar issues. trucks are 2008s, and 2013.

FWIW my tank was also gurgling and fuel sprayed out when I opened it after jumping out and riding with @TexAZ for the last quarter mile. That said, I haven't seen any codes since then.

FWIW my tank was also gurgling and fuel sprayed out when I opened it after jumping out and riding with @TexAZ for the last quarter mile. That said, I haven't seen any codes since then.

I’m still getting evap codes every other day or so… But at this point I just reset them and drive on.

I’m still getting evap codes every other day or so… But at this point I just reset them and drive on.
Any engine, fuel tank mods? Any conditions that precede the onset of codes?

Any engine, fuel tank mods? Any conditions that precede the onset of codes?

Nope.
JUst Moab bubbling...which I’ve seen in prior trips there without codes. But several of the guys who did Moab/Breck this year have been throwing codes, as confirmed in another thread.

2013, lots of bubbling and fumes while in Moab, no codes, no issues...

Thanks, gents

Nope.
JUst Moab bubbling...which I’ve seen in prior trips there without codes. But several of the guys who did Moab/Breck this year have been throwing codes, as confirmed in another thread.

2013, lots of bubbling and fumes while in Moab, no codes, no issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom