ATTN: Aussie 80-Series Petrol Owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There have been a few threads speculating that the 20% head gasket failure rate we see on the forums is due to the EGR system on US 80s. Nobody seems to know if the Aussie Petrol 80s have this EGR system. Could some of you Aussie 80 Series Petrol owners chime in and let us know? Maybe you can also let us know how common HG failures are on the petrol 80s down under.

EGR

Haven't heard any problems with head gaskets in Aus. What is a EGR? Had my 4.5l petrol for 6 years and have not touched it other then general maintence:beer:

I have a 97 diesel, but a friend of mine has a 94 4.5 litre petrol and has had no problems at all. I haven't heard of any headgasket problems here.

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation?

yep. standard emissions gear in the US on gassers :)

If it has the EGR system it should have a coulpe items like these:
egr2.jpg

On the right (as standing looking in the engine bay or USDS) is the EGR valve and on the left or USPS is the egr valve modulator.

:cheers:
Dave

bump.

iI know a couple of petrol owners. None have had any HG problems.

how is the EGR affecting the HG supposedly?

Yeah, I'd like to know. I don't see how there could be a correlation.

Increased heat near the #6 cylinder?

how is the EGR affecting the HG supposedly?

I seem to remember that cylinder #6 is where the exhaust gas is ported. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Ross

But do the Aussie Petrol 80s have EGR? This question is still left unanswered...

Yeah, I'd like to know. I don't see how there could be a correlation.

Not trying to be a PITA, but if you are truly interested then do a search and read up on P0401 and the dozens of head gasket threads that we've had.

Nobody knows for sure if there is a correlation. We have speculated that there *is* a correlation because of a few things. #1 being that, as Darren says, there are no problems with the HG on the 4.5 petrol 1FZ-FE in OZ.
#2 being that we speculate that a suspicious difference between the US 4.5 petrol 1FZ-FE and those in other parts of the world is that the US emissions laws require EGR systems. Alaska is just trying to get a definitive answer from those that can help.

You'll have to search and read if you want to know why some of us have focused on the EGR as a contributing factor to the US problems with failing HG. The short answer is there is more heat around #6 and #6 is where we see a high percentage of the failures. This is NOT the only reason though.

-B-

Off with the EGR's Head!

Is it possible and wise to remove the EGR system? I mean removing it in a country where it isn't required, so this is a technical question not an ethical/legal one.

In the USA, removing the EGR is illegal on a federal level.

The computer in the US spec vehicles is looking for certain EGR signals. You would have to defeat those signals to avoid check engine lights. The ECU also expects EGR to be working and makes real-time adjustments to the fuel and other things. Obviously, you could reprogram the ECU to emulate an Aussie ECU if you had the skills and knowledge.

And lastly, keeping your vehicle in spec with regard to emissions is the right thing to do. Same reason you pick up your dog's poop when you walk him in a public park or a neighbor's yard.... right?

-B-

Not trying to be a PITA, but if you are truly interested then do a search and read up on P0401 and the dozens of head gasket threads that we've had.

Nobody knows for sure if there is a correlation. We have speculated that there *is* a correlation because of a few things. #1 being that, as Darren says, there are no problems with the HG on the 4.5 petrol 1FZ-FE in OZ.
#2 being that we speculate that a suspicious difference between the US 4.5 petrol 1FZ-FE and those in other parts of the world is that the US emissions laws require EGR systems. Alaska is just trying to get a definitive answer from those that can help.

You'll have to search and read if you want to know why some of us have focused on the EGR as a contributing factor to the US problems with failing HG. The short answer is there is more heat around #6 and #6 is where we see a high percentage of the failures. This is NOT the only reason though.

-B-

Searching is for suckers. :cool: Searching and reading through dozens of threads and hundreds of verbos posts, instead of asking and getting a helpful concise answer, ("Increased heat near the #6 cylinder.") doesn't make much sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I wish I had an Austrailian catalog.

The Canadian mine truck catalog I have does show 1FZFE engines and the book does NOT have EGR listed for that motor. It uses the same rear exhaust manifold as the 95-97 US 80. The upper intake plenum is a different part number. The head is a different part number until late 1997 when the Canadian book shows EGR beginning to be used. After that the heads are the same as US.

It may be possible to block-off the ports in the head and manifold. Of course it would not be able to be legally operated on the hiway in that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom