ATTN: Aussie 80-Series Petrol Owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are always the gray areas to get away from the smog police, "test purposes" is the best excuse, that or slip a $20 across the counter.

What is the supposed benefit of the EGR system?

The inspectors around here hardly look at the truck, let alone pop the hood to examine for an EGR system. My last inspection consisted of examining my brakes(with the wheels still on, so I'm not sure what they were looking at) and testing my horn.

I'm not trying to break the law and ruin the environment in hopes of getting a little better performance, but if the law is stupid, as it is in many instances, then I might delve into this a bit further.

Ary

The exhaust makes things burn cooler, which makes it more eco friendly. Note: this may not be 100% correct, but is what I have gathered.

I thought other countries got a cast iron head as opposed to our aluminum ones???

I thought other countries got a cast iron head as opposed to our aluminum ones???

Some models and countries offer a carburettor on the 1FZ engine. Those versions have a cast iron head.

-B-

Back when I was tinkering on Supra's I removed the enitre EGR system on one that was only driven on the track.

EGR is disabled at WOT. Your ECM wouldn't know the difference on a track vehicle.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

-B-
EGR_Theory.jpg

Last edited:
So, I guess the entire point of the thread (Do Australian 4.5L 80s have an EGR valve?) remains unanswered as we debate random stuff regarding the EGR.

Could we have just one Australian 4.5L owner check to see if they have the two circled items on their engine? We will then know something important and meaningful.

Thanks in advance!!

DougM

EGR doesn't function on my truck anymore (on purpose of course), luckily no codes nor smog police to make me change it back. 3FE POWA!

Thanks, Doug. My thoughts exactly. There must be an Aussie Petrol 80 owner reading this. If so, would you mind checking to see if you have the EGR equipment (pictured earlier in this thread) and let us know? Thanks in advance!

bump.

I sure do wish I could help but I've got a diesel and don't know of any petrol drivers.I also have not heard of any head gasket issues in Aus though.
I feel for you blokes with no choice of a diesel over your way.

Thanks, Doug. My thoughts exactly. There must be an Aussie Petrol 80 owner reading this. If so, would you mind checking to see if you have the EGR equipment (pictured earlier in this thread) and let us know? Thanks in advance!

no aussies yet but a kiwi!! not many 80`s were sold down this way with petrol power as they were deemed to hard on the pocket (prolly 90 cents per litre then,NOW $1.43 per litre!! ) a lot dearer than the U.S. petrol prices ,emission laws werent/have been enforced till only just lately(last year) i think it was only in 99-00 that cat converters were compulsory on new cars!! so egr is present on some and not others,definetly more in aussie as there petrol is slightly cheaper than ours but in NZ diesel reigns supreme!! :flipoff2: (nothing like the sound of a 1hd-ft on full boost at full song!!)surely the 1fz/3fz system can be bypassed till emissions testing time,its just a bunch of vsv`s and sensors!!!

So, I guess the entire point of the thread (Do Australian 4.5L 80s have an EGR valve?) remains unanswered as we debate random stuff regarding the EGR.

Could we have just one Australian 4.5L owner check to see if they have the two circled items on their engine? We will then know something important and meaningful.

Thanks in advance!!

DougM

It wasn't the entire point of the thread (as I read it).
But since you ask so nicely....

*I AM NOT ENDORSING REMOVING YOUR EGR*

For those that are interested, if you go over to www.customtacos.com and check out their engine section of their forums, there are a BUNCH of guys that have eliminated their EGR systems on their tacoma's. There are even guys that sell block off plates that would more than likely fit our stuff. They have worked out the check engine lights and everything. Best I remember, it was as simple as jumping two pins in a connector under the hood with a resistor of specific resistance. Most saw improved performance, and possibly mileage as well, but I can't remember. I know this doesn't answer the original question, but I thought it might be useful to many.

While not Australian, we have a new member here that has posted information helpful in this thread. UAE 80

Dave

Double post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom