At a crossroads - Do I open this can of worms? (V8 Location/Clutch Replacement) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The walker pipe is made to use with the ramhorn manifolds and will work fine. What condition is your exhaust in though? You only need to cut and patch a 4" section out. What transmission are you mated to? I have the sm420 which is a shorter set-up. It will clear the heater with the measurements I sent you with minor heating and bending of the shifter(just barely).

My exhaust is in pretty rough shape - I also need to remember to take a look at the routing. If it's like the rest of the truck, it's probably wrong...

I'm running the stock Toyota 4-speed transmission. I figure, if I can mount the engine far enough back to clear the heater with (even minor) bending, then moving it 3-4 more inches back with the 60-series top plate would put it almost exactly back where it belongs. All theoretical at this point, but it's an experiment that might be worth trying...

X2 on 60 cover. Mine is about 3-4" forward... The new hole reuses the front two stock as the new rear bolt holes. With a 60 cover and a modded T-Case shifter I could use a stock tranny cover.

1/2" further back (or less) and my driveshafts would both be the same length. I also measured from the inside of the front crossmember.

Bikersmurf, What did yours measure from the inside of the crossmember?

21.5" I wanted to go back another 1/2" but the #5 spark plug would have been blocked by the stock manual steering box. I've since found a shorter u-joint 13/16" plug socket that would've worked. I've always thought equal length driveshafts would be a bonus.

Ramshorn manifolds had a heat riser butterfly valve on the passenger side, which was about 2" or 3" thick. You need that spacer to make the walker Y pipe to work without modifying it. You either need to find an old 1 & remove the butterfly & seal the holes or there's web site that sells them w/out the butterfly & pivot holes in it.. I think it was a compny who was involved in classic Vette's.

Or just have an exhaust shop make your Y pipe & exhaust w/out the riser.

Does anyone know if the FJ60 top plate mod actually works? It is rumored all over the place but I can't find anyone who has actually installed it.

I also remember a post of a guy trying 2-3 different 60-series plates and none of them fit...

I've seen enough posts from reliable sources to be confident it works. I've also known enough guys that have put in 60 series 5 speeds without 40 series top plates to know its further back on a 60.

That said, I've also seen posts about trouble when the 60 series top doesn't have the same bolt pattern. I'd like to do it some day, but a slightly modded lever has been working for me for 18 years... So it's not high on my list.

I've done a little additional reading, it looks like it's only the 80/81-84 top covers that fit. It also looks like they're not necessarily interchangeable BJ to FJ either - so it looks like I'm looking for an 81-84 FJ60 top cover to cannibalize. Anyone reading this thread have a spare laying around?

It looks like there was a "short" and "long" H42 transmission, and only the "short" version from the early 80's with the relocated shift tower will work...

Last edited:
I would think after 18 years you would be okay with it. haha.

Sometimes its about the next upgrade, mod, repair,, tweak, etc. that keeps a gut going. They are never really done.

I have a set of center collector Stainless Steel headers taken out of a V8 FJ40 $50, I also have a set of AA V8 motor mounts.
Also a Ranger overdrive added in front of your trans puts the V8 in the correct position and becomes the adapter, trans stays where it is.

@447xpro - Thanks for the offer - do you mean headers, or a Y pipe? If they're truly headers, I will pass. I'm going to stick with Ram's Horns. An overdrive is overkill for the amount of off-road this truck will see, and also not in the budget, but good to know for future reference!

@447xpro - Thanks for the offer - do you mean headers, or a Y pipe? If they're truly headers, I will pass. I'm going to stick with Ram's Horns. An overdrive is overkill for the amount of off-road this truck will see, and also not in the budget, but good to know for future reference!
I just dug around and found my old copy of advance adapters toy conversion manual. it was $10 about 8 years ago, a bargain for all the info. might contact them and find out if it is still available.

jim

I would think after 18 years you would be okay with it. haha.

Sometimes its about the next upgrade, mod, repair,, tweak, etc. that keeps a gut going. They are never really done.

I am completely... A part of me doesn't want to cut a new hole in the replacement Tranny cover that's sitting waiting to be installed. Annother part is saying... Cut a new hole and don't muck with the rebuilt trans... :D

It's only Sheet metal.

Ok, revisting this and decided to go with the Downey setup (thanks, Jim).

This looks like the walker Y-pipe I would need:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-42087/overview/make/chevrolet

Part number 42087.

Also, it looks like year one sells the heat riser delete plate: does this look right?

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964-72-chevelle-monte-carlo-el-camino/js015

Looks like a heat riser delete plat for a 2.5in. ram's horn, which looks a lot like what I'd probably be going with:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-674-501

confirmed at the Dorman Website (and here on MUD) that these are 2.5in manifolds.

That said, I've read here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ramshorns-exhaust-details.559510/

That if I run two "left side" manifolds, I won't need the heat riser delete, as both sides are symmetrical. Can anyone confirm this?

Going to be a little slow in collecting all the parts over the next few months, but glad to finally be undoing what should be the last of the PO's BIG **** ups. Then on to the 10,000 little ones...

That if I run two "left side" manifolds, I won't need the heat riser delete, as both sides are symmetrical. Can anyone confirm this?

Worked for me

Worked for me

@Cdaniel - Any way to really tell which is which, or is the left side simply the "one without the bracket."

Furthermore - Any chance you used the Y-pipe above, and can confirm that's the correct one?

@Cdaniel - Any way to really tell which is which, or is the left side simply the "one without the bracket."

Furthermore - Any chance you used the Y-pipe above, and can confirm that's the correct one?

That's the pipe I used. And the right side manifold is the one without the alt bracket. It's all pretty well documented in the pirate 4x4 link that I posted in the thread you linked to above.

(Right as viewed from the driver seat)

Thanks - I guess I need to read that pirate thread a little more closely. I got the impression from that thread that you would need a heat riser, and that the walker pipe only worked with the 2" rams horns and not the 2.5's...

Ok, I think I figured out where I'm confused, that Dorman Ram's horn is a 2" outlet, and not a 2.5" - doesn't specify in many places but I'm guessing that's where I'm all screwed up. So the part number listed above (674-501) is actually a RIGHT side manifold and is 2." If I run 2 of these, they will mate up to the Y-pipe without the need for a heat riser or spacer, correct?

I've also been reading a lot of mixed messages about whether or not I want to run any manifold gaskets...

Picture's getting murkier by the minute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom