Anyone have success with chrome paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search but couldn't find anything on it here.

I sanded and then sprayed my front grill with a matte black paint because the chrome was chipping. I don't like the blacked out look as much as I thought I would and I'm wondering if anyone has used a chrome paint with decent results. I want to do the same with my mirrors where the paint is coming off.

If anyone has done this I'd love to see some pics.

You can get a brand new great looking aftermarket grill (with real chrome) for $75.

I've never used it but a friend of mine did and it wasn't too bad. I am however digging the avatar @FJlynch

You can get a brand new great looking aftermarket grill (with real chrome) for $75.

I'll keep that in mind but I'm interested to see if anyone had luck with the paint. I can't believe how much the original grills go for, I saw one with the paint chipping like mine for $400. That's 1/10 of what I paid for the truck.

I've never used it but a friend of mine did and it wasn't too bad. I am however digging the avatar @FJlynch

I might just give it a shot and upload pics later. No harm in trying, especially if I can get an aftermarket grill for pretty cheap. And thanks...Birds of a s***feather flock together, Randy.

There is no such thing as chrome paint, assuming you don't define "chrome" as shiny silver.

There is no such thing as chrome paint, assuming you don't define "chrome" as shiny silver.
That's what I'm seeing, I don't mind that though. The existing chrome on the grill was faded but I thought it looked good where it wasn't chipping. i'll add some pics here in a sec.

IMG_6582.jpg

I'm starting to wish that I didn't paint it and just touched up the black. But hindsight is...

I'm gonna see what can be done with "chrome" paint and who knows, might turn out well.

IMG_6584.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

You can get the metalic finish spray paint at lowes and spray primer that should help I would do at least two coats

I'm not a huge fan of the complete blacked out grill either. Especially on the FJ62.

You might try some lighter charcoal gray/dark silver spray to highlight some of the grill facing and around the headlights with the black background. It will at least give it some detail and depth. Might look pretty badass.
Whichever way you go post pics when done.

Where? I'm seeing more like $129...thanks

You can get the metalic finish spray paint at lowes and spray primer that should help I would do at least two coats

I'll be heading by Lowes this weekend to see what they got. Hopefully they will have something that looks good and sticks well to plastic.

I'm not a huge fan of the complete blacked out grill either. Especially on the FJ62.

You might try some lighter charcoal gray/dark silver spray to highlight some of the grill facing and around the headlights with the black background. It will at least give it some detail and depth. Might look pretty badass.
Whichever way you go post pics when done.

Yeah, for whatever reason the 60's look better with the black grill. I'll go by a few hardware stores and see what's available. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend if the rain will let up, I'll post pics here when done.

I'll be heading by Lowes this weekend to see what they got. Hopefully they will have something that looks good and sticks well to plastic.

I used to be the Territory Manager for Valspar in Western NC so I know the following Lowes. The mettalic finish will stick to anything but I would definately get some primer since its going to be on the front of the vehicle. It will help it last longer. All of the stores in Asheville have the ones I listed below and so do Waynesville, Franklin, Sylva, Murphy, and Weaverville.

Shop Valspar Silver Indoor/Outdoor Spray Paint at Lowes.com

Shop Valspar Project Perfect Gray Primer Spray Paint (Actual Net Contents: 12-oz) at Lowes.com

I used to be the Territory Manager for Valspar in Western NC so I know the following Lowes. The mettalic finish will stick to anything but I would definately get some primer since its going to be on the front of the vehicle. It will help it last longer. All of the stores in Asheville have the ones I listed below and so do Waynesville, Franklin, Sylva, Murphy, and Weaverville.

Shop Valspar Silver Indoor/Outdoor Spray Paint at Lowes.com

Shop Valspar Project Perfect Gray Primer Spray Paint (Actual Net Contents: 12-oz) at Lowes.com

That will help a lot, thanks! Nearest Lowes to me is in Sylva (45 minute drive) buy luckily I have a graduation I have to go to at WCU Saturday. The metallic paint above looks exactly like what I'm wanting, will definitely use primer as well.

Will be interested to see how this works out for you @FJlynch

3m vinyl will work, too. The chrome vinyl may be expensive though. You can apply a sheet of it and use an x-acto blade to cut it out.
3M_1080_Scotchprint_Chrome_SE420.jpg=500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom