Any location for a larger subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have all my speakers replaced on 02 LX. added a new amp and headunit. Where does everyone add your aftermarket subwoofer? Stock location seem kind of small. a large sub box is probably last option

thanks!

Depends on how big you want to go. I am planning something like one of the compact powered units from Kicker/Kenwood and will mount vertically on the wall/panel where the stock sub is.
Or at least that is the plan for now. I am attempting to conserve as much space as possible.

Depends on how big you want to go. I am planning something like one of the compact powered units from Kicker/Kenwood and will mount vertically on the wall/panel where the stock sub is.
Or at least that is the plan for now. I am attempting to conserve as much space as possible.

Do you know how big of a kicker can you fit inside the stock location? Or which one are you planning? Thanks

I used to work for Brandon Roby, President of Whole Hog when he was in Albuquerque. He has since moved to Texas. He owned an LC100 but offered sub-woofer mounts for the 80 Series. I'm not sure if he ever did one for the 100, but worth a call. His mounts were excellent. His website is down but you can get to it thru the Wayback Archive. He may have dissolved the company but I know he still runs it from home. He used to store stacks of mounting brackets in my office so I'm sure he still has some left.

Whole Hog Technologies, Inc.

Sub Woofer Fitment Guide.pdf

I have an 8" Polk in stock location with two pieces of 3/4" plywood to space it out. Took out plastic enclosure that was behind and insulated the whole space. You might get a shallow 10" in there with three 3/4" spacers.

I would recommend dropping it in a lowered 2002 Honda Civic.
I know.. the majority think that we can't enjoy good solid bass in these rigs. If it is a sin send me to hell now! 😈 Here is my 13.5" JL sub nicely tucked in the corner.

20191008_133939.jpg

Last edited:
I love bass and people should go to jail if they disagree. Just deal with the loss of space and run a real sub and enclosure

I have an 8" Polk in stock location with two pieces of 3/4" plywood to space it out. Took out plastic enclosure that was behind and insulated the whole space. You might get a shallow 10" in there with three 3/4" spacers.
Do you have picture of this setup? Also, you basically run sub without enclosure?

Do you have picture of this setup? Also, you basically run sub without enclosure?

8" subwoofer - I removed the stock "box" behind the dual 4" speakers and insulated the whole interior of the space behind panel so the effective box is now at least 2 times the size of the stock one. Also all the interior panels have a couple layers of sound deadening on back side.
I do a lot of overlanding and with all the gear did not want to use up space with a external sub box.
Photo of it without the speaker grill. Mounted on two pieces of 3/4" plywood to give depth for speaker cone.
Speaker is a Polk Audio DB 840 DVC - 4ohm dual voice coil, 30-200Hz, 250W, Polk recommends a box size of about a cubic foot.
Running it on the factory amp. Has plenty of volume, bass is tight which I like. Expect sound would improve if I replaced the factory amp with more power.
Not a setup for pumping out the thump, but produces a natural bass for my music.
LC Woofer.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know how big of a kicker can you fit inside the stock location? Or which one are you planning? Thanks
So not going in. Area is too small for much of anything. Check our @BenCC 3D printing thread as he did a special project for Sarge where he did an 8” sub that mounted into the stock box. No feedback that I have seen as of yet.

But I plan to do something like this on top of the wheel well and braces to the side.

Rockford Fosgate P300-8P Punch 8" 300 Watt Powered Ported Subwoofer System Amazon product ASIN B07FN75M1V

Decent spots/considerations
1) box mounted over wheel well. The depth of the wheel well if you test below window height and adjust width for required space should allow you a decent 12 or smaller or multiple smaller subs.
2) If you don’t have drawers you can wedge it between your rear seats folded up. Just do quick disconnects and you can remove it on trips.
3) been impressed with the drawers system enclosure builds that guys been doing. Think the key part is ensuring there is not excessive rattle.

pic below. In this pic I think the owner could have built the s box to the window line and fit a couple 10’s or 8’s versus one big sub to the rear. However this, Single sub to the back in a Landcruiser might create the opportunity to consider portedoptions

1596988878878.jpeg

I'm sorry, but what size?
Thirteen and one half inches. 13 1/2"

What an odd size.

"Don't want a 4Runner or Land Cruiser? Well, settle in between and get a Highlander!"

Space behind the panel is the enclosure, I put sound insulation on interior surfaces.
Photo of it without speaker grill. Mounted on two pieces of 3/4" plywood to give depth for speaker cone.
View attachment 2397712

So I am confused... did you use the stock "box" in the fender and then build it out to fit a 13.5" sub? Seems like the volume for the box would then be SUPER small for the size sub. But definitely like the way that you handled things.

So I am confused... did you use the stock "box" in the fender and then build it out to fit a 13.5" sub? Seems like the volume for the box would then be SUPER small for the size sub. But definitely like the way that you handled things.

No. He just uses space behind as "box". Not really sturdy box and really "ported" but hey :)

I picked 6in sub and stock enclosure 6L volume. Need 8L for 6in sub. Not sure how I will get extra volume yet. But I will figure out something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom