Any location for a larger subwoofer? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I am confused... did you use the stock "box" in the fender and then build it out to fit a 13.5" sub? Seems like the volume for the box would then be SUPER small for the size sub. But definitely like the way that you handled things.

Someone else posted about 13.5 sub. This sub is 8" and I removed the stock box and insulated the whole interior so the effective box is now at least 2 times the size of the stock one. Also all the interior panels have a couple layers of sound deadening on back side.

Someone else posted about 13.5 sub. This sub is 8" and I removed the stock box and insulated the whole interior so the effective box is now at least 2 times the size of the stock one. Also all the interior panels have a couple layers of sound deadening on back side.
Ok that makes a little more sense now. I was looking at that and thinking DAMN that is a 13.5" sub?! I know that BenCC did a special adapter that went in the same location like yours to fit a 8" sub as well and then fixed to the stock box.

So basically you have an infinite baffle in there. How do you feel it sounds?

So basically you have an infinite baffle in there. How do you feel it sounds?

Went back and answered your questions in my post with the photo, so info is in one place.

Decent spots/considerations
1) box mounted over wheel well. The depth of the wheel well if you test below window height and adjust width for required space should allow you a decent 12 or smaller or multiple smaller subs.
2) If you don’t have drawers you can wedge it between your rear seats folded up. Just do quick disconnects and you can remove it on trips.
3) been impressed with the drawers system enclosure builds that guys been doing. Think the key part is ensuring there is not excessive rattle.

pic below. In this pic I think the owner could have built the s box to the window line and fit a couple 10’s or 8’s versus one big sub to the rear. However this, Single sub to the back in a Landcruiser might create the opportunity to consider portedoptions

View attachment 2398096

wow! Also where did you get that floor mat?

10” shallow mount ported enclosure with a slanted back so it tucks up nicely against the rear of the second row. The aluminum bars serve their purpose to protect it well

C53C69EB-E558-4D5B-9F4A-2897015AFB15.jpeg

18757A91-27D6-4308-B3E3-E10A6812CACB.jpeg

10” shallow mount ported enclosure with a slanted back so it tucks up nicely against the rear of the second row. The aluminum bars serve their purpose to protect it well

View attachment 2398989

View attachment 2398990
I had an up firing ported Dual sub setup In my sequoia and I utilized a wedge design to the angle of the backseat. Only thing is that my not matching the wedge with the seat angle you have space and for the amps/wiring and the camp can stay relatively cool. But those wedge designs maximize space available pretty well.

I had an up firing ported Dual sub setup In my sequoia and I utilized a wedge design to the angle of the backseat. Only thing is that my not matching the wedge with the seat angle you have space and for the amps/wiring and the camp can stay relatively cool. But those wedge designs maximize space available pretty well.
I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It's JL's "High Output" line (JL Audio HO110RG-W3v3) so even though it's a 10" it beats like a 12". You're right on the mismatched angles but the gap on mine isn't bad at all, maybe 1.5" at the bottom. I really like it though because I put banana plugs on the ends of the speaker wires so if I want to remove it I can have it out in about 15sec. I've had to do that a few times to haul gear for longer trips or large loads of pea gravel.

I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It's JL's "High Output" line (JL Audio HO110RG-W3v3) so even though it's a 10" it beats like a 12". You're right on the mismatched angles but the gap on mine isn't bad at all, maybe 1.5" at the bottom. I really like it though because I put banana plugs on the ends of the speaker wires so if I want to remove it I can have it out in about 15sec. I've had to do that a few times to haul gear for longer trips or large loads of pea gravel.

ive been quick disconnects or die on every system I’ve ever owned for that reason. Nothing like wife getting on your s*** about not being able to help move something cuz of a big enclosure. I said the angle thing because so many guys are diy’ers on this forum. A wedge sealed won’t be that hard to make assuming the builder skips the cosmetic protection wall.

those ho jl boxes Pound for the relatively low power that jl subs ask for on an rms basis

Am currently considering options for a sub as well. I don't want to give up any space so I was thinking of fabricating something in the factory sub location or where the jack is located. As others have shown, an 8" will work in the factory location with a little modification, but I think I can get it flush if I use the jack location. Plus, if the jack location is used I really wouldn't need to modify anything, could just remove it later and pop that panel back on if need be.

If you want a little deeper bass, then probably need to go 10", which you could still probably get the airspace for in either of those locations, 12" definitely going to need to do something else. You've got options these days with the shallow-mount offerings although those often require increased power over more traditional drivers.

Where jack will go?
Put it in a recovery bag with other gear, it's small enough to fit. See that black bag next to my subwoofer a few posts up? That has jumper cables, air compressor, extra spark plug & coil pack, hub socket, shackles, & other miscellaneous gear in it. I could easily stuff it in there if I wanted to get it out of that storage area.

So not going in. Area is too small for much of anything. Check our @BenCC 3D printing thread as he did a special project for Sarge where he did an 8” sub that mounted into the stock box. No feedback that I have seen as of yet.

But I plan to do something like this on top of the wheel well and braces to the side.

Rockford Fosgate P300-8P Punch 8" 300 Watt Powered Ported Subwoofer System Amazon product ASIN B07FN75M1V

I'm loving this Fosgate PS-8 powered sub in this location. The front seats a catch a nice vibe from the location. Driver and passenger can feel the bass.

The location makes for some very interesting sound imaging having the sub sit in the middle of 4 other Fosgate P1650 door speakers. Yeah, I know it's kind of old school center channelish -- I am too.

Since I rarely have only one rear passenger, the location won't be a problem. I may cover it with some tan grille cloth so it blends with the other tan trim and carpet to keep dust out of it.

1625844500988.png

A common placement for this type of self enclosed sub is under the passenger seat. I have setup this on another car with a JBL powered sub and really enjoy the sound and location. I just didn't have the clearance to do this with the 100s under passenger seat mounted AMP. I replaced the factory amp with a Fosgate PBR400X4D 4-cnannel amplifier for the door speakers.

1625842545352.png

1625842910094.png

Installed the punch level control in the ash tray opening.

1625842976086.png

Last edited:
Yeah, this is still on the list of things that I want to do to the truck. I was thinking of possibly trying to mock-up a "brace/holder" for the stock sub location that could work as a universal mount location for an 8-10" sub like you Punch. The thought process is that it would hold it close to the side paneling, have a solid mount location and still be out of the way. However, I am thinking that it may create a load of vibration for that area and I HATE rattles!

Alternative is a shallow woofer over the remainder of the rear drive wheel well in front of the oem woofer location.

1625841855248.jpeg

I installed a dvc 6” Bazooka tube running off of the stock amp, and couldn’t believe the difference it made. I am still amazed at how much deep tight bass it produces. For the price, I can’t imagine any alternative sounding better. It’s pretty small and can be mounted in endless configurations, and is easily removable.

I installed a dvc 6” Bazooka tube running off of the stock amp, and couldn’t believe the difference it made. I am still amazed at how much deep tight bass it produces. For the price, I can’t imagine any alternative sounding better. It’s pretty small and can be mounted in endless configurations, and is easily removable.

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about this for another vehicle.

I'm headed for a packed rear compartment like this picture.

1625845141144.png

Here is my end result.. after a year of work

Got every speaker, subwoofer and tweeter swapped out to Alpine. Added a touch screen. Relocated some oem buttons. and finally put the subwoofer behind the 2nd row seat. It makes the 3rd row a little smaller, but that space is never really used

now the sound system is banging :)
20210709_091258.jpg

20210709_091337.jpg

Here is my end result.. after a year of work

Got every speaker, subwoofer and tweeter swapped out to Alpine. Added a touch screen. Relocated some oem buttons. and finally put the subwoofer behind the 2nd row seat. It makes the 3rd row a little smaller, but that space is never really used

now the sound system is banging :)
View attachment 2726314

View attachment 2726315
Lovely! What is that magical creature where the stock ashtray panel lives? Can you share the design with @BenCC ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom