any cheap easy ways to get alittle more power? 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
first off let me start off by saying I'm a noob to this website and 80s ive owned a few pickups and got a 81 pickup trailrigs... this is the first 80 ive ever owned also my first post here
...I recently bought a 92 80 its sitting on a 3.5 inch old man emu lift riding on 35 in bfg krawlers...it needed some work when I got it pinion seals /axle seals bad.. was running rough but I got it for such a good deal I didn't mind working on it....after some research it led me to this site...which I must say is one of the best sites with a TON of info and knowledge ... I found all the answers I needed for the repairs on here and got everything fixed and its running GREAT and couldn't be more pleased...
so my question is what if any cheap easy mods can I do to get alittle more power out out my 3fe?i know they are slow and not meant to be fast and I am perfectly fine with that... just looking for ideas to open her up alittle bit...
also my exhaust is about shot...I would like to get rid of the cats(as long as it wont hurt anything I don't need to worry about emissions here in NC) and get rid of this texas sized muffler...what is a decent exhaust setup for this that has a nice mild tone nothing to crazy loud I just like to hear my trucks when I driving lol

as I stated this is my first fj80 I'm looking forward to learning all about it and this seems like the perfect place to start since there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here

thanks!

If you've got stock differential gears pushing your 35s, that's the problem right there.

If so, re-gearing or downsizing your tires will help a ton.

Welcome!

Free…Tighten your transmission kick down cable and your throttle cables to spec. Advance your timing to a point of no detonation.
Less than 50 bucks…Smog pump delete via BB Method; cost will be a smaller size belt.
100 bucks…Tuneup; distributor cap, plugs, wires.
1000 bucks or so… Regear to 4.88's or 5.29's

Steve

cheap and easy for real power? probably not.
But then again, that is highly relative.

If de-smogging is an option... DO IT! I'm running stock 4:10's and 35's and it does pretty good. I did the kick-down cable adjustment and the timing which both helped but the de-smog made the biggest difference.

I got some new plugs and wires just waiting for this rain to clear up before I do that..as far as timing goes does anybody know how many degrees I could advance it and still be safe and realiable?... ive already went thru changing out ALL the fluids and filter (fuel filter looked like it was the orginal one from 1992 it was NASTY) I was just seeing what I could do myself before without dumping a lot of money into it lol like I said I know its slow and I don't mind that haha just seeing what options are out there....and I'm a complet noob to these motors...im very mechicanlly inclined just never messed with these before

If you've got stock differential gears pushing your 35s, that's the problem right there.

If so, re-gearing or downsizing your tires will help a ton.

I'm quite sure it has the stock gears in it...I plan on taking these bfg krawlers off and putting on my trailrig since they are so high dollar I don't want to waste them on pavement since this is also a daily driver ...what gears would be best to run for 35s? I would downsize to 33s but I'm afraid that they would be too small and look goofy with the 3.5in lift...anybody got pics of a 3.5in lift on 33s?

Picture of rig? Krawlers on full-bodied trucks is awesome.

And to answer your question, no. There is no cheap way to get more power out of a 3FE.

Where in NC are you? I have a 91 that I did a complete EGR delete. You still run the risk of failing safety (they do a visual on emissions) but if you go to the "right places" you can get by.
-Derek

I got the motor running great now she purs like a kitten...but she does start slow in the mornings....do these have a cold start injector? and I'm located in Jacksonville on the east coast...I bought the rig from a guy out of Fayetteville...

I got the motor running great now she purs like a kitten...but she does start slow in the mornings....do these have a cold start injector? and I'm located in Jacksonville on the east coast...I bought the rig from a guy out of Fayetteville...

Yes they do. The cold start injector can usually be cleaned with brake cleaner and can be tested easily. I would recommend using the search function above and you will find lots of information there about this.

Here's from a previous post:

You might check your cold start injector. This is located on the driver's side upper part of the plenum has a fuel line coming to it form the back. You can remove it with (2) 10mm screws and a 12mm for the fuel. I hook the fuel line back to it and insert it in to a beer bottle and then try to start it (*with a cold engine*). If its working you will get gas in the bottle.

here is a few pics of my rigs ....only had the cruiser for less than a week so I haven't had a chance to wheel it yet ...every though it wont be wheeled to hard...I sold my 88 pickup to get this so I could have something with more room that my wife can drive as well...something she can get to me and pull my dumbass out when Im stuck or broke down somewhere I shouldn't have been in the first place hahaha I'm going to bulid it to be a very capable recovery rig that we can wheel on the weekends and be able to drive to work on Monday lol
20151031_113906.jpg
20151029_120019.jpg
20150909_184508.jpg
20150822_125821.jpg

Yes they do. The cold start injector can usually be cleaned with brake cleaner and can be tested easily. I would recommend using the search function above and you will find lots of information there about this.

Here's from a previous post:

You might check your cold start injector. This is located on the driver's side upper part of the plenum has a fuel line coming to it form the back. You can remove it with (2) 10mm screws and a 12mm for the fuel. I hook the fuel line back to it and insert it in to a beer bottle and then try to start it (*with a cold engine*). If its working you will get gas in the bottle.
thanks for the tip I will doing this tomorrow ! it takes it 4 or 5 time before it starts in the morning... after that it cranks right up without any issues

Free up 45-50hp..........buy some sawzall blades. -800lbs is the same as throwing on a supercharger..... the magic phrase is Power to Weight ratio :flipoff2:

your taco is missing two doors.........and your wifes rig has 4 of em! Lose the doors and rear hatches and buy the wifey a rain slicker..... ;)

image.jpg

Cheap, easy way to get more power out of the 3FE? Drive downhill.

But seriously, I love the 3FE and am the self-appointed promoter and defender of the almighty 3FE. Others on here will bag on it for being a "slow tractor motor". Most of those people have never even driven one. A well tuned 3FE is plenty capable for daily driving and on the trail. It is bombproof and incredibly easy to work on (not that they ever need much working on).

You made a good choice in getting a 3FE. You can spend your time and money on fun mods instead of replacing the head gasket or wiring harness. (Known issues with the 1FZ-FE. Had to poke at those that call the 3FE slow!)

Enjoy your rig. Looks like you've got a good solid foundation. Love to see a 3FE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom