Another Suspension Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wes

SILVER Star
Threads
So my Cruiser rides really rough. I understand its not going to ride like a Cadillac, but I have to imagine it could be better. I'm guessing it has a 2" lift, but I haven't tried to verify that. There are no discernible markings on the springs. The shocks are Rancho 5113 in front and 5116 in rear. My question is, will changing the shocks to something like Bilsteins make a significant difference in ride quality, or should I just bite the bullet and get a completely new setup (OME)?

Front
IMG_3814.JPG

image1.JPG

Rear
IMG_3817.JPG

image2.JPG

Yes, change out the Ranchos.

I use Bilstein shocks on everything I own because I like their firm yet supple ride, but there are others that can give a nicer ride than old Rancho shocks. IMO, they're among if not THE worst.

I'd love to know what exactly those springs are as well , mine are identical from the looks of it - seems like a 4" lift though on mine and the bushings are gone . They are not very good for ride for sure , Bilstein's added to the rear did help - front isn't too bad as-is but with that cast iron lump up there it doesn't seem to matter as much .
I'm leaning towards new OME's as well vs sourcing proper new bushings for mine , just an opinion .
Sarge

I'd love to know what exactly those springs are as well , mine are identical from the looks of it - seems like a 4" lift though on mine and the bushings are gone . They are not very good for ride for sure , Bilstein's added to the rear did help - front isn't too bad as-is but with that cast iron lump up there it doesn't seem to matter as much .
I'm leaning towards new OME's as well vs sourcing proper new bushings for mine , just an opinion .
Sarge

I bought my bushings and greaseable pins and shackles from Georg (@orangefj45 )... Great price!!

Shocks may help some. Spraying some thin lube all over and around the springs, bushings and shackles may help some also. You have to remember that the 40 series was used as a heavy duty vehicle around the world and the spring rates are for carrying a load. Throw 500 lbs in the back and see how it rides. All the aftermarket springs use a high spring rate, and the steeper arch of the lift springs make the matter worse. Custom made leaf packs built for the weight of your vehicle is about the only way to get a lighter spring rate and more cush. Fitting a longer spring from another vehicle would help significantly, but would require custom/relocated spring mounts and a lot of trial and error. You could also experiment with removing a leaf from your current springs, but you will lose lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom