Build Another Prado in Montana

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At this point the goal is to have the Prado running for a shakedown trip during the second weekend in October, then take it to the Montana Oddball Diesel Meet in Helena, MT the weekend after. Assuming I can get a tuned ECU on the way on time I think I'll make the deadline.
 
Cool project dude! Cool to see your in Bozeman. I have the little brother of your prado down here in Billings. Same colors in a 2 door
 
Cool project dude! Cool to see your in Bozeman. I have the little brother of your prado down here in Billings. Same colors in a 2 door
That's awesome! What's the plan with it? Is that the engine that's stuck at the machinist?
 
That's awesome! What's the plan with it? Is that the engine that's stuck at the machinist?
Actually no, but i also had to source and replace the engine in this prado when i got it a few months back. Also had to source a new head.
Just did some modest suspension stuff/new wheels and cleaned it up a bit! Nothing crazy.. been using it for camping this summer, might be letting it go once I get the engine back for my Isuzu.

IMG_2015.webp
 
Actually no, but i also had to source and replace the engine in this prado when i got it a few months back. Also had to source a new head.
Just did some modest suspension stuff/new wheels and cleaned it up a bit! Nothing crazy.. been using it for camping this summer, might be letting it go once I get the engine back for my Isuzu.

View attachment 4217761
Looks very clean! Would be very welcome at the MOD Meet if you can make it.
 
Not a lot going on in the past few days, mostly waiting on parts. My 5/8" power steering hose arrived so I finally started working on a mount for the reservoir. Ended up with three parts that will get spot welded together, hopefully it will be stiff enough to handle the reservoir.
IMG_8477.webp
 
Not much visual progress lately, mostly tying up a few loose ends here and there. I managed to build the bracket for the power steering reservoir and get the feed and return lines plumbed up. Wrapped up the rest of the essential electrical connections. Added in the last of the coolant hoses and started filling the system. I'll have to wait to get the engine started to fully bleed the cooling, intercooler and power steering systems.

Today I put a battery in and started testing the electrical system. I get communication with the ECU via VCDS, it is obviously throwing a fit over all the missing sensors and modules but I'm getting feedback from everything that is hooked up. Filled the engine with oil and cranked it a bit to try and get pressure built up, there is no fuel hooked up yet so I didn't crank much.

The intercooler pump is wired to cycle with the lift pump, so I was able to get some of the air bled out of that system. I discovered I had wired the lift pump backwards, so it needs one plug de-pinned and swapped around. Hopefully I didn't damage it.

The last components I'm waiting on at this point are a new thermo tee for the fuel filter and a deleted ECU, then I'll be ready to fire the engine up!
 
Back
Top Bottom