Another perspective on rear storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I haven't done anything sustantial since Saturday. I'm a little undecided on my cargo hold downs. I cant dial in the top until I come to a decision.

My choices are:

1.Flat plate with pivot ring (flush mount)

2. Aluminum track type (this will require building a structure under the top to support its entire length)

3. Aluminum nubs that use the same rings as the track

4. A threaded and removeable ring. Basically a large nut and bolt type piece that is hollow and sandwiches the top of the platform and allows screwing the ring into it.

Any experience or opinions with/on these?
Probably a little late...I just saw the thread. But...I'd highly recommend the Brownline track. It's installed in the aircraft I fly and we use it for cargo tie down every day. It's a great great piece of kit. Easy to use, adjustable so that you can put the tie down where you want it, easy to remove all the tie down stuff so it's out of the way, and so on. The only two drawbacks I know of regarding it are that it's a bit pricey (you get what you pay for?) and you need to keep it clean or it's hard to get the tie downs into place, pushing them through mud and grit. Usually just a quick swipe with a whisk broom or even a quick puff of air will do to clear the tracks though.

Vey nice !! Any chance of some plans before I start a drawing the whole thing up myself ?

Have you added or updated anything with your drawers recently?

Well I've been tinkering a little every night but not too much visual progress. I got all of the surfaces that I'm not going to Line-X painted black. I'm in the home stretch on the rear section of the box. I've got it back in my truck for some final checks before going to Line-X.

I'm also doing the fab work for the steel supports for the tie down hooks. I've decided to do the flush mount ones with the ring that flips up. When I get them they'll be silver but I'm going to powdercoat them black. I'm doing three along each side in the rear for a total of six. The top cover of the box wouldn't provide enough structural support for them by itself. I am making steel supports for each of the tie down hooks by making a platform right under the surface of the box top and building down to whatever is most appropriate.

For the very rear ones, it was really easy. Just a plate through bolted to the metal floor and some square stock for a spacer. The center locations are a little trickier as I've decided to utilize the third row seat bolt locations. For the far forward locations, I'm going to have to cut holes in the wheelwell carpet (which I was hoping to not have to do)as well as fab brackets up there too.

Here are a couple of pics of my progress:

Howdy
Nice motorcycle! Is for sale :hillbilly:?!

:cheers:

I wish I could fab up something like these. But don't have tools or space needed to build one.

1. What do you think average cost is to build your rear storage unit yourself?
2. Has anyone purchased a truck vault rear drawer system for the 80 series? Cost?

Wondering what cost difference might be between buying something similar to what you've built or trying to build my own.

Any progress on your completion? I am ready to send you money for the one your building for me. :bounce::bounce2:

I am planning on a build similar to this but using aluminum frame welded together in an attempt to reduce weight.

I am just about to start this same effort for my 95 80 series. Really nice job so far. I am anxious to see photos of the rest of it in a completed state.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been off the map for a while. I bought a house about a year ago and then got a reduction in pay the day my escrow closed. Soooo I've been keeping my expenses to a minimum and unfortunately, haven't made any progress on the buildout.

I do regret not making plans/taking better notes :doh:as I've had so many people ask for plans over the last couple of years.

I do appreciate the compliments and only hope that I've helped to inspire others to take on similar projects themselves:cheers:

Once together, is it easy to take in and out of the rig? I am trying to visualize the inside dimensions of the drawers to determine what type of room I would have for storage?

I am planning on a build similar to this but using aluminum frame welded together in an attempt to reduce weight.

Tony, I am wanting to start a project much like this one, if you start please keep good notes (maybe start a new thread) and keep us posted on your work... I watched this thread and these two and need to get going on my project.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/243620-operation-overkill-drawers.html &

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/381803-line-xd-my-interior.html

I love the Line-X idea and want to incorperate a couple of other from each thread. Turns out I suck at measuring :crybaby:

Once together, is it easy to take in and out of the rig? I am trying to visualize the inside dimensions of the drawers to determine what type of room I would have for storage?

My box is completely built in, but you could definately do something similar to have it more easily removable. Here's the best pic I could get of the inside of the drawers:
4-08020.jpg

Hello from the UK
Firstly let me say what a great piece of workmanship its a very professional job and its getting many admirers from the UK.
roger 352

You sir, are a man of many talents. This is a build that will inspire people for years to come!

Bringing your old post back I had a few questions?
How have the drawers held up and would you make any design changes if you built them today?
Thanks

Sorry I've been off the map for a while. I bought a house about a year ago and then got a reduction in pay the day my escrow closed. Soooo I've been keeping my expenses to a minimum and unfortunately, haven't made any progress on the buildout.

I do regret not making plans/taking better notes :doh:as I've had so many people ask for plans over the last couple of years.

I do appreciate the compliments and only hope that I've helped to inspire others to take on similar projects themselves:cheers:

Hi 619 Toy, I have been looking through the forums and the professional made (very expensive) sliding drawer systems for the 80 series Toyota Land Cruiser and I lucked into all your posts and photos of what you built. Very impressive and, obviously, appreciated by the many- many compliments I saw posted. Now that it's a number of years later... how have the cabinets held up? Do you wish you had done anything differently? You have definitely inspired me to build something very similar to what you built. A huge big thanks to you! Bye the way, did you every get around to making a drawing of the measurements you used? Would love to get it if you did.

Thanks Mark. The drawers are still functioning perfectly. A lot of time has passed and a lot has changed with my priorities, so I wouldn't build another set the same, but that said these drawers were perfect for this vehicle. The biggest thing to come along after I built my drawers was lock in/out drawer slides and I would definitely prefer them to the non-locking ones I used.

As coincidence would have it, I'm actually in the middle of building out our 200 right now. Completely different, just 2 stage sliding fridge and shallow drawer and areas specifically designed around a folding camp table and MWC's. And lastly switches for all electrical and AC/DC outlets on the rear sides.

I have dimensions for most of the new build though:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom