Another JDM HDJ-81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So far, so good. Pleased with the purchase. Engine runs great. And, yes, BEBs first on my list.

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

Looks like somebody loved it before you, nice truck!

Update: filled the tank back up today. Mileage: 21 mpg, which was 80% hwy at roughly 60-65mph. So that made me real pleased.
Was at West Coast Cruisers today. Peter named her. She ended up "Ron-san" from Ron Burgundy with a Japanese twist.
Got her up on the lift, removed those aluminum running boards. Nice improvement. New wheels and tires after BEBs. Need shocks ASAP too.
She had real good protectant applied on the undercarriage; there is a thin flaky milky-white coating on things. Super clean and rust free under there. Then I checked all the fluids and grease. Diffs and transfer case fluids were all full and fresh looking too. The U-joints were well-maintained and pushed out with one pump of the grease gun.

Why the rush for the BEB's. At 236k km they have either already been done or they failed 100k km ago.
As far as I was aware the problem was related to a particular bearing supplier or batch of bearings and was not a guaranteed problem for all 1HD-T motors.
A long as your engine has good oil pressure and is not making any strange knocking noises it should be fine.

Looks in tidy condition under the bonnet (hood) and looks like the cam belt has been changed as well at some time.

Why the rush for the BEB's. At 236k km they have either already been done or they failed 100k km ago.
As far as I was aware the problem was related to a particular bearing supplier or batch of bearings and was not a guaranteed problem for all 1HD-T motors.
A long as your engine has good oil pressure and is not making any strange knocking noises it should be fine.

Looks in tidy condition under the bonnet (hood) and looks like the cam belt has been changed as well at some time.
Mine had 218k km, and mine certainly benefited from changing. Not to mention the peace of mind

I appreciate all of these replies. As I reread my posts I sound like a braggart. I am just mostly relieved to have made a sound purchase, and I think it's gratifying to get confirmation from others who know these diesels. It's a new club for me.

QUESTION: I've got one of those battery tenders and would like to use it on my 81 when garaged. I think I understand how the two 12V batteries in these 12V rigs switch from parallel to series to power the 24V starter, but how would I connect a charger properly? Thank you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom