Another help with GX lift thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an '06 GX470 and it's time to do a little light modding. I'm wanting to ditch the airbag rear suspension and it's due for a set of tires. So I figured it's a 'two birds with one stone' type deal. I'd like to be as low key/sleeper/not flashy as possible since it'll be a multi purpose rig: trails, groceries, soccer practice.

I'm wanting to clear a set of 285/70-17, 275/70-17, or 265/75-17. I have OME, Deavers, and Bilsteins on my 1st Gen Tacoma and they're great after nearly 7 years.

I emailed Metaltech and he suggested the Ironman springs which are brightly painted. I emailed back about OME but it's the weekend now. I've emailed Wheelersoffroad with the same questions and am currently awaiting a reply from there as well.

My limited internet where I'm working out of state makes research a PITA. Can anyone with OME springs comment as to the height and spring numbers? As well as shocks used? I think 2" should be enough but a puck wouldn't kill me to get a little more.

Any help, direction, pictures, or build thread links would be greatly appreciated.

I have the OME 896 in the rear of mine (roof top tent, skids, sliders, full size spare (80lbs)) and they give me just over 4" of lift, and are too stiff for that weight I have.

I am hoping to switch to either the 895 or Icon 2" springs in the future.

Thanks for the reference point. Looking at OME specs at Wheelers the 895E should be what I'd need for the rear then. Barring any additional height gain/loss from the conversion to springs from bags as compared to 4runner. "Approximately 1.25″ lift on a 2003-2009 4Runner" and "Rate: 260 lb". Little to no hauling will be done with this. If it were to ever become a trail rig the springs are easily swapped and not expensive.

For the front, my limited research says the 4.7 weighs in right at 500# and that year's 4Runner v6 is 366#. So it's 136# heavier for the motor alone not including the rest of the drivetrain. The OME specs for the 884, 885, and 887 list it at a rate of 590#. The 886 lists at a rate of 660#. Take the difference of 70# per spring and x2 gives an additional 140# of spring rate. Which is 4# over the engine weight difference. But then Wheelers states this: "Provides approx 2.5″-3″ ” lift on a 4wd V8 4Runner with a Bull Bar and Winch."

Then he has the 887 stating this: "Provides approximately 2″-2.25″ lift on an 03-09 4Runner with a bullbar or winch....Provides approx 2.5″-3″ lift on a 2010+ 4Runner with a bull bar and winch (230lbs+ extra weight)." This puts me close to where I'd need to be to net 2-2.5" with the heavier 2UZ-FE. My plate bumper on my Taco weighed 105#.

I'll likely be sticking with Bilsteins for this because I have had good luck with them on my Tacoma. Also pull the running boards and replace them with bedlinered weld on sliders (for the kids).

-OME 2887 in the front and 2895E in the rear.
-Bilstein 5100 front and rear.
-Southern Style Offroad rear coil over conversion: GX470 air to coil spring conversion kit – Southern Style OffRoad

That should cover a mild lift. I was leaning towards a 17" wheel, but the cost doesn't outweigh the looks nor utilitarianism for me. So I went back to looking at 16" shoes and came across some D slot steelies at Summit with a decent 2100# load rating. Carted the wheels with lug nuts and 6 center caps (2 spares) was under $400.

For tires I've been from one end of the interweb to the other. Called and gone by several local shops and finally after taking a leak at my Sam's Club spotted a stack of good looking tires. Spoke with the guy there and they're reasonably priced. They'll mount on the loose wheels if I bring them in and warrant them on the GX when I get them bolted on. I'm a sucker for white lettered tires, too. Really would love the red lettered General Grabbers, but these will do. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/lt285-75r16e-dpmt/prod20191058.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

Last edited:
-Southern Style Offroad rear coil over conversion: GX470 air to coil spring conversion kit – Southern Style OffRoad

That should cover a mild lift. I was leaning towards a 17" wheel, but the cost doesn't outweigh the looks nor utilitarianism for me. So I went back to looking at 16" shoes and came across some D slot steelies at Summit with a decent 2100# load rating. Carted the wheels with lug nuts and 6 center caps (2 spares) was under $400.

For tires I've been from one end of the interweb to the other. Called and gone by several local shops and finally after taking a leak at my Sam's Club spotted a stack of good looking tires. Spoke with the guy there and they're reasonably priced. They'll mount on the loose wheels if I bring them in and warrant them on the GX when I get them bolted on. I'm a sucker for white lettered tires, too. Really would love the red lettered General Grabbers, but these will do. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/lt285-75r16e-dpmt/prod20191058.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1
I don't think the 16s will fit over the calipers. If you are going for a cheap utilitarian look for wheel, hunt down some steel FJ Cruiser wheels.

That SSO kit looks nice, good to know it's out there. I plan on doing a AHC delete on ours someday.

For the tires, you should be able to get those in a 285/70 17 which would be the same size but for a 17" wheel, I think a lot of people like the dyna pros. I am running cooper st max on my Tacoma and am really happy with them, cooper also makes the stt pro if you want a MT.

I don't think the 16s will fit over the calipers. If you are going for a cheap utilitarian look for wheel, hunt down some steel FJ Cruiser wheels.

I'm wanting the D slots vs the Soft 8s like on my Tacoma. The GX has cast 16" wheels so I would assUme the 16" steelies would fit. I have been wrong before. They are indeed 17".
That's a pretty nice kit from SSO! I haven't installed my MT kit yet so I could still go this route and sell my MT Kit. :hmm:
He makes them to order, if I remember right, so they'll be some lead time.

That SSO kit looks nice, good to know it's out there. I plan on doing a AHC delete on ours someday.

For the tires, you should be able to get those in a 285/70 17 which would be the same size but for a 17" wheel, I think a lot of people like the dyna pros. I am running cooper st max on my Tacoma and am really happy with them, cooper also makes the stt pro if you want a MT.
I had carted the 17s at first but assumed the 16s would fit. I haven't purchased them yet because I was still doing a little more searching. I spotted a Tahoe from 2-3 generations back with some factory steelies that may would work, offset pending and if I could even source them.

Last edited:
I'll be damned. My memory was that they were 16", but in fact they are 17". Thanks for calling me out before I ended up with new shoes for my Tacoma.
I'm wanting the D slots vs the Soft 8s like on my Tacoma. The GX has cast 16" wheels so I would assUme the 16" steelies would fit. I have been wrong before.

I had carted the 17s at first but assumed the 16s would fit. I haven't purchased them yet because I was still doing a little more searching. I spotted a Tahoe from 2-3 generations back with some factory steelies that may would work, offset pending and if I could even source them.

Scratch that. 17" and there isn't enough clearance to wedge my finger in between the caliper and wheel barrel.

Are these OEM tire and wheel specs correct?

Tires - 265/65-17
Wheels - 17x7.5 ET25

Last edited:
I screwed up and asked for approval of the wifey, since it's actually in her name. She shot down the mudders but was cool with some ATs. Strolled through the local Sams and they've got some BFG AT K02 275/70-17 with a discount to cover the M&B as well as the TPMS swap. I think I can shove one under as a spare, too.

Wheels should be here this afternoon for a test fit. 5100 struts, lug nuts, and 1/4" spacers from one vendor. Rear new Tacoma 5125 shocks and proper top caps from another vendor. OME 895E rear springs from yet another vendor and I'll reuse the front springs for now. No one online vendor had all of what I wanted so it go spread out. I'll test the wheels this afternoon and see if I can get the tires mounted tomorrow. By week's end I should have everything I need here barring the conversion perches from Southern Style Offroad.

Wheels came today. They do not fit due to the spacing for the front caliper. It took two 1/4" spacers to clear them but left no room for the normal lug nut. I happened to have some of the skirted/extended lug nuts and used it to hold the wheel up to have a look see. It ended up spaced out beyond where I wanted them to be and just aren't going to work. They looked good...to me anyway. Exactly what I was wanting it's just too bad they won't work out.

I believe I'll hold off on the tires and have a look at to how high the OME springs land out at. I may just run the OEM wheels and go with 285/70 tires. There's no FJC steelies anywhere near me ATM either. The center of hub to the front fender was right at 21.25" and the rear was center to hub 22.5". So it's close to what I'm expecting/hoping from what limited information I could find. I also went ahead and ordered a front set of 887s the other day so that I won't have to break down the OEM strut assembly. They'll go into the shed with all the other old parts.

GX470 with 17x8 D slot-1.jpg

Too much poke
GX470 with 17x8 D slot-2.jpg

GX470 with 17x8 D slot-3.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom