another H42 into FJ62 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.
I have used search and read thru the archived materials...Just hoping to get a nod or two before I set out on a parts gathering journey. I have an 88 62 series w A440 junk box. I will need to source:
late long H42
3F bellhousing
late 2F flywheel, clutch set
late 2F throw out fork, hub, bearing
clutch hydraulics, hard and soft lines
pilot bearing
tcase to transmission bolts
trans crossmember
rear drive shaft (will have front modified later on)
pedal bucket
tcase gasket kit
Have I left anything out? I know that an oil nozzle is needed for the 5 speed, is it also needed for the long H42? I am not familiar w/ the split cases. Am I gunna bugger up any parts in it while swapping it off the A440 and installing it to the H42? Can Anyone post a picture of the modified body tunnel for the shifters.? Thank you all.

Interested in this as well.

Hey all.
I have used search and read thru the archived materials...Just hoping to get a nod or two before I set out on a parts gathering journey. I have an 88 62 series w A440 junk box. I will need to source:
late long H42
3F bellhousing
late 2F flywheel, clutch set
late 2F throw out fork, hub, bearing
clutch hydraulics, hard and soft lines
pilot bearing
tcase to transmission bolts
trans crossmember
rear drive shaft (will have front modified later on)
pedal bucket
tcase gasket kit
Have I left anything out? I know that an oil nozzle is needed for the 5 speed, is it also needed for the long H42? I am not familiar w/ the split cases. Am I gunna bugger up any parts in it while swapping it off the A440 and installing it to the H42? Can Anyone post a picture of the modified body tunnel for the shifters.? Thank you all.

Oiling cup is not needed for the H42, only the H55F.

And to help I'll condense your list of needed parts:

A late model donor rig FJ60. :D

X3 on that advice. If you have the donor rig you can also see how it is supposed to go back in since they are very similar. And you will have most ofl the parts at a much lower expense since you can sell off the carcas. This only works if you have the room but it is the best way to do it.

Agreed! definitely the way to go for this mod, and this is how I am doing it for mine. You will have all the parts you need/miss right there! Then sell the rest and make \back your money.

That's all good and fine, but, never the less, I just want to know if I need to add anything to my list THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF. Thanks Again.

Well, if you bought the 60 then you wouldn't need a list. :D I would add a tranny mount, not sure if I saw this but the clutch master cylinder. What are you doing for the 4 lo linkage? ( I am currently in the same boat with the linkage but with an H42 and FJ62 t-case and I haven't tried to figure out a solution yet so I will be watching what you do ) You need to mod the wireing harness for the reverse lights and do something for the neutral start switch. I thought you could get the tunnel from a 60 for the shifters but I am not sure about this. When removing the t-case if all the bearings are good then you may want to replace the (2) stake nuts or re-use them if you are careful. And when you put it all back together you should check the preload on the bearings. I have a set of the shims for this that I loan out, all you have to do is replace the shim(s) you use.

You'll need a 2F bell housing with a clutch inspection cover (and gasket).

I have a BH from an 86 2F and it has a big 3F stamped on it...clutch master slave and flex line ordered. hard line is in the back of the 55. so is the late H42 crossmember, gearbox, shifter, nob, long bolts, seals, gaskets and stake nuts. I have the pedals, thro out fork and hub, clutch set flywheel and bearings. I have seen the plate mod for mounting the crossmember to. I just need to source a mount bushing and have the drive shafts shortened/lengthened. I should yank the notor to do this huh? The wife wants to be driving it to smog on tuesday.

I have seen a thread where the guys pulled the A440 and tcase as a unit from under the 62 w/o pulling the motor. What are your thought about this? Is there a good reason to spend the extra sweat and blood to yank the motor? I don't have any concrete, so use of the cherry picker is a bit more difficult. I am thinking about getting a buddy or two to hep lower the junk box out and then stuff the 4 speed and t case separately.

2F/3F Bellhousing. (Will have the 3F cast on top)

No reason that I know of to pull the motor - The guy I saw do this swap just dropped the tranny/tcase combo, too. It was all bolt up, far as I can remember. I think there was a little tweaking of the EFI cable, with the new pedal bucket, but it's been awhile and I'm a bit thick.

Waddaya gonna do with the T'case from the A440? Gonna reuse it, or do you have a splitcase on the H42?

As for t'case linkage, there's always the twin-stix from Orangefj45, if you don't have the stock stuff.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/303124-split-case-twin-stick-kits.html

And by mount bushing, you mean the tranny mount on the x-member ?

yep tranny mount rubber
I gotta yank the tcase from the a440 and reuse it cause Coolious Georg couldn't spare a 38mm case yesterday. :beer: for that dude!!! Thanxs Georg! as for the linkage, I'm gunna run the vacuum 4X and the manual hi/lo lever for now.
Does anyone know if I can get the 62 series tcase to shift into lo w/o actuating the 4X plunger? IE 2lo?
anyway, I was motivated and did this earlier. It was NO PROBLEM, and I only used the tool seen. If you can get someone to help you with this, you should. If you're like me, and you don't have any friends and your wife ain't a linebacker, you just have to get creative.
forgot to order the rear main seal yesterday and won't have it till monday:mad:
fall2011 076.jpg

believe it or not, those little kiddie cars are purdy tough!;) gunna do the pedal bucket and bellhousing tomorrow and the clutch hard line

I hate workin' in the dirt ... You need some cardboard !

:D:D

it's raining

I am thinking about using the old pressure plate from after I did the clutch on my pig and getting a new friction disk.....

sux working in the rain and rolling around in the mud....ih8mud.

Looks like you are having a good time though.

:beer:

Anyone know if I can use the flexplate bolts for the flywheel? I know the length isn't an issue, just wondering about head height and strength...

i'd use the flywheel bolts, the flex plate bolts are a hair shorter. make sure you put some sealant on the bolts since they screw into a "live passage".

if you need more help or parts, you have my #......

also, i did a write-up on here about this swap. pretty detailed.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

Thank You Georg! I will be calling later...:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom