Events/Trails Annual Ouray trip Aug 7th-10th, 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not going to be able to make this. Bummer I was looking forward to it. I just have too much going on and our dog sitter cancelled on us. I will cancel my reservation in the next few days. If someone else wants the spot let me know.

Oh man, that SUCKS dude. I was hoping to run some trails with y'all. :bang:

But, I might have a dog sitter for you, text me.

Yeah, I was looming forward to getting out up there. It will happen eventually.

We are always looking for good dog watchers.

Yeah, I was looming forward to getting out up there. It will happen eventually.

We are always looking for good dog watchers.

I'll find you a dog sitter so that you can go on this trip. Fear not, young Padawan :hmm:

I found a taker for Tank5 spot. Wes will call up the CG and grab Dennis' spot.

Probably but I haven’t kept up with the site shuffling...does the fur baby travel/4x4? There will be others in camp...

Probably but I haven’t kept up with the site shuffling...does the fur baby travel/4x4? There will be others in camp...

No, Willow doesn’t travel. I wish she were a traveling cat lol. Ok, yeah, I’m not sure when the list was last updated. I think Juan might have an open spot, but I don’t know his handle on the forum to tag him.

Call Jill and see if she has space in the Ali group.

Lizzy will be sleeping in her rig so *technically* she can just park in front of any of our spot. If you are planning on parking your rig inside your spot, then she perhaps can just park in front of your spot on the road, which is where I park since my camper takes up the usual spot. Just throwing this out there in case she can share a spot with someone.

Lizzy,
PM me your phone #...just cause :rofl:

Trail report from the San Juans:
I just spent the last 4 days at the Hundreds In The Hills 9 event. I led trails Thu - Sat (Clear Lake; Alpine Loop; Stony Pass) There is still more snow up high than I can ever remember seeing. The remaining snow banks are larger and deeper than I can ever recall seeing them. There are massive debris piles from countless avalanches everywhere. I have never seen anything like it.

We tried to go to Clear Lake but the trail is blocked by a snowbank above the tree line at the switchback that has a mine and a big rusty tank. So went back down the road and then farther up the road along South Mineral Creek. This was great. There is a big beaver pond with lodge next to an old mining site.

County Rd. 2 between Silverton and Animas Forks is completely blocked by an avalanche debris pile. So if you want to run the Alpine loop you have to use either Lower Engineer/Mineral Creek from 550 or use Cty 110 from Silverton up and over Hurricane Pass. The former is a littler rougher that I remembered when I drove it 5 years ago but still passable.

The Stony Pass trail between Silverton and Rio Grande reservoir is one of my new favorites. I caught a huge rainbow trout just upsstream from the RG res. when the group stopped for lunch. Several in our event took the Kite Lake option and said it was good too. The creek crossings are a little deep but not impossible.

Since you won't be there for another 10 days, more snow will melt and more things will open up. Black Bear and Imogene were still closed due to snow. But, you can get to the top of Imogene from the Ouray side. There was a boulder blocking the trail just above Pride Rock that got moved while we were there.

Oh, bring good bug spray. The mosquitoes were extra bad this year.

As they say... Pics or it didn't happen (re:Trout especially but would love to see the trail carnage) Thanks for the update!

Fish pics. Trail pics will have to wait until I get to work and download from the cell phone.

IMG_20190727_121415.jpg

MVIMG_20190727_121410.jpg

IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2543.JPG

The remnants of avalanches are EVERYWHERE! I have never seen anything like it. There were also lots of deep snow banks next to the roads. The lady that runs the Chocolate Dog in Silverton said they got 6X their normal snow amounts.

IMG_2560.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG

Last edited:
Lake Como access was pretty sketchy. A couple dudes from another group tried to get down to it, couldn't get through the snow bank and then tried to get out. That ended up being a 3-hour ordeal with broken axles, unseated tires and lots of winching. I wasn't there. I just heard about it. Go to the 100-series forum to see more pics and details. But skip the first 90 pages.

Last edited:

My spot is open. I just canceled it. Call Jill if you want to take it over.

Update 8/2/19

Hillside Site # and name (Hollywood hills)

1 - vacant
2 - Juan
3 - Juan
4 - Wes (from Chicago, old friend of Ali's)
5 - Justin, Stacy
6 - Lizzy
7 - Lawrences
8 - Ali
9 - Steve
10- Wes (my buiddy from Chicago)
11 - Kyle Brown coming in Thur night
12 - other folks
13 - other folks
14 - Pappy
15 - other folks

Near the office, electric only sites