Andy's Taco build thread

caz

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star

Been a while since I updated here, I figured since I was pretty much done with my crawler project I should post an update!

Summary:
Clutch
Flywheel
Rear main seal
New Tranny seals and shifter seats
Added Crawl box
Rebuilt driveshafts with all new ujoints
Later model tubular exhaust manifold
New cat
New o2 sensors
New muffler/tail pipe
Poly steering rack bushings
New internal steering rack guide
New seats
And I'm sure some other stuff I've forgotten!

Driveshafts back from the shop with all new joints (including the CV)
20190725_112553.jpg

Hole drilled for the extra shifter
20190727_154721.jpg

Front shifter modified (with bootyfab welds)
20190908_204727.jpg

All buttoned up - even installed the new seats I've had sitting around for 8 months or so!
20190908_214640.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to go!
20190901_135354.jpg

My oldest son Adam really helped me with wrapping up the details. While I was working on the shifter last night, he cleaned/detailed the interior and removed the old seats. He is really getting into it lately!

YotaFun

Andy the truck looks spectacular! Nice and clean install!

Which drive shaft shop did you use? I'd like to take an old set I have and get them cleaned up and rebalance with all new joint including the double cardian (that I have been told before can't be done) I have a vibration in the front and I think it's the front shaft.

caz

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star

I used Hartman's in Reading.

They were NOT cheap, but they did a great job. Tried a few other places and they all said "we won't touch metric tubing".....

If I had to do it over again I would probably look more into the services that Davez Offroad offers.

caz

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star

They wouldn't even look at them....

On another topic, I'm going to need to replace the NEW muffler. It sounds really bad! I've had decent luck with Bosal before, but this one sounds like a bad ricer exhaust.

iptman

See if you can find a Walker Quiet Flow that will fit. I put this on my 80 series and it's not quite OEM but close. Offset if you can make it work.

Reactions: caz

Pacer

SILVER Star

They wouldn't even look at them....

On another topic, I'm going to need to replace the NEW muffler. It sounds really bad! I've had decent luck with Bosal before, but this one sounds like a bad ricer exhaust.

Top Bottom