Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The “416” (#33 on the ACTIVE FIRE MAP) is in the San Juan National Forest, over near Durango (SW Colo) and it’s only about 15% contained... lotta destruction already and more to come.

My favorite Colo playpen is in the Rio Grande National Forest (S-Central Colo).

We can’t go this year... Dianna has shoulder issues and won’t be able to bounce on 40+ miles of washboard roads, each way... MRI Fri, next week.

We’re hoping to make it to Angel Fire, NM in early August... to spend time with our youngest daughter (45) and her husband, at her husband’s sister’s vacation house.

Glad to see the “Ute Park” fire (#37) is almost fully contained and the only structures list were 14 outbuildings at Philmont Boy Scout Ranch, outside Cimarron, NM.

This fire is about 20-30 miles east of Angel Fire.

I think there’s gonna be a lot of big fires this summer... but, what do I know? :meh:

Edit: Was there a fire in the Conejos River Valley too?

@JohnBoy
P1000328.JPG
P1000329.JPG

Lord Have Mercy rkymtnflyfisher, I posted I was using a # 14 Stimulator, must have been a typo. I meant a #10 and them trout also dig some Royal Coachman as well. At least in October they do.

Was there a fire in the Conejos River Valley too?

I thought for sure I saw something posted on Inciweb about a fire in that area, maybe I'm crazy, I don't know. There is nothing posted in that area now. Those big fires in Colorado aren't going to go away anytime soon, they are just beginning.

Hopefully the northern Rockies don't burn like they did last year.

I have a set of add-a-leaf springs sitting in my new garage right now ready to install, too bad wrenching on the 40 is on the back burner now. Just bought a new house last week, so moving into that one and moving out of the other one is priority.

Fishing is getting good also.

Priorities.

I've been spending more time driving around fishing in the 40 rather than addressing some of the important problems with it. Once I get done with a little road trip in the diesel dually I am going to try and tackle the rear leaf springs.

Maybe.

I might just go fishing some more.

@UltraFJ40 :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Are those stock height springs? Longer shackles to fix?

I’m running a 4” Skyjacker lift kit, stock size shackles, 33” tires.

Up front I had to use 6* shims, back when I first got the cruiser. To fix steering issues. The front has a nice stance and a good shackle angle. There is a Warn 9000 winch and an older 4+ front bumper/grill guard/deer killer.

The rear is the problem. I have a 4+ cooler/jerry can/tire carrier, a fold and tumble seat, hi-lift jack, 10 and 13 yo kids in the back. That is bare bones. Not including gear, fuel, etc.

Stock length shackles. Bad angle.

Extended anti-inversion shackles, excellent stance, great shackle angle, but I created a severe driveline vibration. 8* difference between flanges.

So I called a very well respected Cruiserhead who talked me through the problems. My solution was to put shims on the rear axle. The Cruiserhead walked me through the fact that extended shackles were a mere bandage to the base problem.

Too much weight for the rear springs as they were designed. Next step is to use an add a leaf to each of the tears and determine if they are helping or not.

I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a lift kit designed for a heavy load in the rear of the rig.

I’m planning on doing the add a leaf in a couple of weeks.

Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom