Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Checked the air pressure today in the tires, as usual the cold weather wrecks havoc on everything, 3 at 10, 1 at 15. Pretty sure I usually run about 20 in them. I also checked the front end for anything suspicious, nothing. No play in the wheel bearings, both tires spin without any unusual resistance, no slop in the steering linkages, no unusual feelings from the front diff, nothing.

Inflated the tires back to 20ish, then cut a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator. There's supposed to be a cold front blowing out of BC ushering in some unseasonably cold air again. The ski hill opens Thursday.
20221127_161828.jpg

I had to adjust the cardboard, engine temp was running up at 210 and climbing. Pulled the cardboard, folded it in half and stuck it back in, temps dropped back to normal as soon as I started driving.

Curious how you calculate the mpg. Do you only use the actual odometer reading or do you add a % (say 10%) to your mileage due to your larger tires.

As a side note, I'm a newbie here. I have enjoyed your build over the past few years as well as your Fly Fishing adventures. I am sure I speak for many here that are super jealous of your environment. Fishing, Skiing all while doing it in a 40. What is better then that! Here in Kansas not much of that going on, but being that I have a rustic 76' 40, I live vicariously through your adventures. Keep posting, Ill keep learning.

Curious how you calculate the mpg. Do you only use the actual odometer reading or do you add a % (say 10%) to your mileage due to your larger tires.
I just use the odometer reading for my calcs for the mpg, it is off almost exactly 10%, I've measured the odo against the old school mile markers along the highway, and double checked with GPS.

Just keeping it simple is good enough to keep track of anything going wrong. In the end I'm more interested in the long term trend than I am the week to week mileage. The long term is where I find little things that can be improved, or a sign of trouble on the horizon.

I am sure I speak for many here that are super jealous of your environment.
Don't be jealous, it's a tough life, we'll be stuck with highs in the teens for the next week or more. Not to mention all the other crap happening here, can't wait for the Yellowstone crap to end.

Did some test driving today, which means I drove up to a trailhead to take a hike.

This is the trail I usually run on most of the year. I haven't been up to this one in a few weeks now so I wanted to check out snow conditions and see how the trail is packing down for running on.
20221128_135426.jpg
20221128_141439.jpg

I should get some poser shots of the 40 soon for those who are missing out on the scenery.

Or you can just watch Yellowstone.

Nice job on the build. You have been an inspiration for me on my rig.

Now that you have a few years on the build, have you had any rust come through? You did about all a guy can do to prevent future rust and I'm just curious how its performed with year round use in MT. I am getting ready to go down the body panel replacement path myself and I've been toying with going with the Aqualau tub because of where I live and play (UT, ID, MT). My rig will be no show queen and I don't wanna feel bad about scratches, but I'd hate to go to the length you did if the little red devil is just gonna show up anyway.

Nice job on the build. You have been an inspiration for me on my rig.

Now that you have a few years on the build, have you had any rust come through? You did about all a guy can do to prevent future rust and I'm just curious how its performed with year round use in MT. I am getting ready to go down the body panel replacement path myself and I've been toying with going with the Aqualau tub because of where I live and play (UT, ID, MT). My rig will be no show queen and I don't wanna feel bad about scratches, but I'd hate to go to the length you did if the little red devil is just gonna show up anyway.
I did have a small section of rust that formed in an area around the barn doors in the rear. It was in the pillar on the drivers side. It may have been a section that didn't get cut out when I rebuilt it, I'm not certain.

I'm pretty proactive now with trying to keep it sprayed with Fluid Film in the more susceptible areas underneath, and anything that looks like surface rust is wanting to start.

In the end rust is inevitable, it just takes a little effort to ward it off.

Driving around. Averaged 9.5 on the last tank of fuel, spent a lot of time in 4hi again.
20221204_164111.jpg
20221204_163215.jpg

I'm entertaining the idea of deleting the fan during the winter? Trying to keep more heat in the engine bay for the carb without suffocating the radiator approach. Makes me wonder why the engine doesn't just purge the hot air off of the radiator instead of running a fan to do that - link the air cleaner to the radiator shroud?

Today was fine, but the other day I was like I'm moving the radiator from the engine bay to under the driver seat and I'll just keep tools in the engine bay for the winter...

I'm entertaining the idea of deleting the fan during the winter? Trying to keep more heat in the engine bay for the carb without suffocating the radiator approach. Makes me wonder why the engine doesn't just purge the hot air off of the radiator instead of running a fan to do that - link the air cleaner to the radiator shroud?

Today was fine, but the other day I was like I'm moving the radiator from the engine bay to under the driver seat and I'll just keep tools in the engine bay for the winter...
Maybe going to a fan clutch setup would be the best of both worlds. I'm content now to live with the direct drive fan, driving in 4hi all the time is most likely my biggest hurdle with the mpg's dropping.

An electric fan setup with a thermostat would do that.

However, these rigs came with a pretty winter friendly engine bay, but over time owners and mechanics ditched all the tin that enclosed the bay which lets the cold air in. Finding and replacing that sheet metal would help

Also, they used to make special kits that would allow drivers to adjust the amount of radiator that flowed air something like that would help with the warming in winter thing.

If you can stomach a day of skiing, your toes can probably make it thru the wood chopping and hot cocoa? I can't imagine places where there is nothing to look at in the sky (all low-altitude grey), or there is next to nothing in terms of public land to explore; there is only residential between me and w whole bunch of dramatic skies holding down BLM and Natty Forest.

My fan delete was easy enough. CFS radiator, no fan clutch, with shroud. Kinda tight. I don't recommend this, but.

It is like t-shirt weather right now. Last tank was less than 9mpg; just filled up. This is as hot as I was able to get it without the fan for the heater(s) on at idle in a parking lot or traffic intersection.

fan.jpg

After I got back in the truck, I had a hot-start event. I didn't tap the throttle, but, just hit the starter again. At no point on my return trip did the needle get much beyond the first line on the left. After I made it home, the overflow reservoir was full hot, but not overflowing. The air cleaner assembly was warmer than body temp to the touch. The temperature needle went up (like above) after I put the groceries away and I applied voltage to the temp sensor with the key. Running the rear heater makes my ammeter do a really funky dance.

Looks a mite thin but more's coming!
It looks promising at the moment, the NWS is calling for 12"-18" in the mountains tomorrow evening-night. 7"-10" in the valleys.

Then something like -50F wind chills.

I should be back up next week a time or two with my daughter.

Tech notes, I got 10.78 out of the last tank. With a trip up to the mountain in 2hi, and removing the roof rack, I bet I got better than 11 out of the current tank.

The corn-free high test gas also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom