Alternatives for DT headers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 13, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
18
Location
Nampa, Idaho
I have a 2004 Lx470. My headers have been leaking for a while now and I’m starting to get sick of the extra noise. Since it seems like Doug Thorley isn’t making the headers for the 100 series anymore.
Does anyone know any alternatives that are reliable and worth the replacement or should I just go OEM.
 
I didn't know dt wasn't making headers for the 100 series anymore, that sucks. I had that on my list :confused:
 
 
  • Like
Reactions: GTV

They have a production run for May in process right now, you can contact them to get on the list.
 

They have a production run for May in process right now, you can contact them to get on the list.
hol up

why's that specifically say LHD? Mine is RHD but I don't think the headers are any different

edit:
Well I see that they have RHD version too, I just didn't think there was a difference

they don't ship to US 😭
 
Last edited:
hol up

why's that specifically say LHD? Mine is RHD but I don't think the headers are any different

edit:
Well I see that they have RHD version too, I just didn't think there was a difference

they don't ship to US 😭
I understood that they DO ship to the US but you can't use the site to order you have to go through their customer service team.
 

They have a production run for May in process right now, you can contact them to get on the list.
Thanks! I’ll have to look into these
 

They have a production run for May in process right now, you can contact them to get on the list.
I ordered these yesterday

Was checking out some install videos- those headers don't have the EGR escape? What do you do about that?
 
Did you get these installed? and if so, how did everything go?
Yeah, they're awesome but I hated the install 😅

 
Yeah, they're awesome but I hated the install 😅

oh i see that thread now...wow what a write up. thanks so much and will now start reading it
 
I ran into the same dilemma earlier this year, I searched endlessly for headers once my stock ones needed replacing but couldn't find anything since the DT's were discontinued, I ended up just picking some new OEM ones up, my thinking was if they held up this long it'll be good enough

However while I was searching I emailed XAT Racing down in Florida and they came back to me with this
Screenshot 2026-08-15 at 10.27.00 PM.webp

As you can see by the date this was quite a few months ago, if you're interested I would totally reach out! they're really awesome guys
 
FYI, the Rhino headers are listed as being "coated steel". The OEM manifolds are likely 409 stainless steel; DT headers were coated 304 stainless steel. Basic steel headers will rust out much quicker than the OEM or aftermarket stainless options will (even with a coating) - much like non-stainless fasteners on the exhaust system are rusty within a year or two. The heat just really degrades mild steel and speeds up corrosion.

Unless you live in a very dry climate, I'd suggest waiting until someone makes a stainless set of headers for the 100 (or seeing if Rhino would produce them out of stainless). I have a set of coated 304 SS DTs on my GX470 and they still look great after 5 years, and they see road salt every year.
 
FYI, the Rhino headers are listed as being "coated steel". The OEM manifolds are likely 409 stainless steel; DT headers were coated 304 stainless steel. Basic steel headers will rust out much quicker than the OEM or aftermarket stainless options will (even with a coating) - much like non-stainless fasteners on the exhaust system are rusty within a year or two. The heat just really degrades mild steel and speeds up corrosion.

Unless you live in a very dry climate, I'd suggest waiting until someone makes a stainless set of headers for the 100 (or seeing if Rhino would produce them out of stainless). I have a set of coated 304 SS DTs on my GX470 and they still look great after 5 years, and they see road salt every year.

hahah well, after installing the rhino headers, they can stay even if they fail. I'll never do it again :dead:

the good news is im driving ~6k miles a year so I'm not too worried about it regardless
 
hahah well, after installing the rhino headers, they can stay even if they fail. I'll never do it again :dead:

the good news is im driving ~6k miles a year so I'm not too worried about it regardless
DT long-tubes took me ~22 hours on my GX470. I'm also in the "never do it again camp" :).

If you are in a dry-ish climate they may last a number of years, especially with low mileage like that. If you are driving it in the winter in the Northeast or upper Midwest something they may literally rust out in 2-3 years. That is the reason Toyota and almost every other OEM has used stainless on all exhaust system components for the past several decades.
 
Last edited:
DT long-tubes took me ~22 hours on my GX470. I'm also in the "never do it again camp" :).

If you are in a dry-ish climate they may last a number of years, especially with low mileage like that. If you are driving it in the winter in the Northeast or upper Midwest something they may literally rust out in 2-3 years. There is Toyota and almost every other OEM has used stainless on all exhaust system components for the past several decades.
mine probably took around the same time too, but because I was making a lot of mistakes and approaching it from the wrong angles. Also was regearing my transfer case at the same time and that was very distracting and time consuming. With the knowledge that I have now I think it probably could be done in a day, but I'm still not doing it again

The rhino headers feel sturdy and heavy, seem well made. but remind me in 3 years and ill let you know how theyve held up ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom