All things Towing thread, weight, trailer type, etc.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done some searching and decided to just start a thread on towing. We currently have a motorhome that we love but I'm getting sick of paying insurance and upkeep on another engine. Plus the issue of it breaking down. My Lexus is going to be much more reliable.

I'm looking to get a toy hauler, 21ft and under. They seem to vary widely as far as weight. All if them have electric brakes. I want to find the smallest one I can but it has to have 3 beds and hard sides. The trailers I have seen are around 3500-5500lbs.

I just wonder how much the GX can handle?
Please chime in those who do tow and let me know what you tow and the specs on your trailer.

I have not towed a trailer that big. I have a pop-up I load to the hilt with a heavy cargo carrier on top of it and pulled it 1,000 miles last summer. Didn't even notice it was back there. I had two canoes on top of the Swank Tank too. You are looking at something heavier but it's a start. Picture on the bottom of page 7 in the 120 Photos.
120 series Photos!

I just sold my '04 Tundra with the same 4.7 V8, I towed a 23' Jayco for my dad to hunting camp, never had an issue. I have an '06 GX 470 I will be towing a 16' V-nose cargo trailer loaded with camp gear and an atv, I anticipate that it will be the same, no issues, people do not give this engine enough credit, its a tough little feller, it likes running at 3,000 rpm or higher, plus you have the 5 speed transmission which my Tundra did not have, that will help with hills, descents and accents. Only thing you might find is a little bounce, short wheel base issue.

I would just make sure you get yourself a good sway controller. Heavy load on a short wheelbase would be challenging should the tail decide to wag the dog....

I drag my 17' boat around with my GX. It isn't as heavy as what you are looking at; it's probably around 3000# all loaded up. Towing my boat is no issue. I would defiantly change out your trans fluid if you are going to tow anything with that much weight, but other than that, have at it. With the towing capacity listed at 6500, and especially with electric brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to tow anything within the range you listed.

Spoke to the lexus dealer and they said changing out the tranny fluid is a "very involved process" They said they have to hook up a diagnostic tool to the ECU and monitor tranny temp before and during the changing of the fluid. They stated there was no need to change it at all and said do not ever flush it! They wanted $400 to do it if I insisted on it being done. I called another Toyota dealer and they said all the same things but only charged $200. Makes me nervous to do it myself now.
Whatch yall think?

It is. Easiest way is a simple drain and fill or the low pressure system using the transfer pump and hoses to keep air out...assuming you have one that has a serviceable setup. Another reason I like my 03

It's involved, but not horrible. I found instructions online and it was easier than I expected it to be. I didn't do a full flush, but I removed the pan and changed out the filter. That method changes out about 1/3 of the fluid, and it certainly looked like it needed to be changed. I certainly don't believe that fluid is good for the life of the vehicle, especially if you are offroading or towing anything.

I'll tell you from experience, that it's not a very difficult procedure at all. Prior to having my GX470, I had a 4th gen 4Runner V6 with the 5 speed sealed transmission. At 160k I did the low-pressuRe system flush through the cooler lines, along with draining the pan, and the lifetime fluid was black. It did not smell off, but it did appear dirty. All in all, I swapped out about 12 quarts. The hardest part is pumping the new ATF into the pan. I used a hand pump, and I swear I'll never do it again. I'm at 90k on my GX470, and based upon my previous experience, I'm going to change the fluid within the next 10k. I think an easier solution is to snake a long clear plastic hose from the engine bay down through the back of the firewall/tranny tunnel area and then into the fill port. Then I can just use a funnel with the tubing to add fluid from the top.

Checking the level is easy. There is a simple procedure using a paper clip to jump two terminals in the diagnostic connector to put the transmission into temp check mode. Then you just wait until the transmission is in the operating temperature range and pull the overflow plug and watch for the fluid to trickle out. My experience tells me for this time to slightly overfill the transmission as previously I had to do the temp check process twice -- first time no fluid came out, so I was a little underfilled, and had to add another half-quart and wait for the transmission to come back up to temp. The whole process took me a few hours, most of it spent getting familiar with where all the drain and fill plugs were and actually hand-pumping in the fluid.

Last edited:
I have towed our 24' boat that weighs about 5000 lbs. The engine handled it ok. It was the handling that made me a little nervous. Compared to our Suburban it's night and day. I think it's the short wheelbase. Also when hooked up to the trailer we could not open the back hatch because it would hit the boat winch. Something to think about when looking for a trailer.

Good idea about back hatch. I might just take it into Toyota for $200 for transmission service. The dealer said they just clean the metal screen in the filter. It's not really a filter but a screen.

I have found several toy haulers on Craigslist ranging from 3800lbs to 5000lbs dry. I will definitely get the equalizer hitch and sway bar control set up.

I'm ordering custom airlift 1000 airbags for the back to accommodate the 1.5in lift so I will post how that all turned out.

I ordered the airlift bags today! I'm making an appointment with Toyota to have the tranny fluid changed. He said they just clean the "screen" there is no filter. Lexus also said the same thing.

I see alot of talk about gas mileage and what not ... and i guess towing will go along with this question ... but is there or has anyone ever used any type of performance programmer on their GX? ... its super common for pick up trucks both gas and diesel ... no one makes programer that works on a tundra? ... if they did it should work for a gx470 right?

I see alot of talk about gas mileage and what not ... and i guess towing will go along with this question ... but is there or has anyone ever used any type of performance programmer on their GX? ... its super common for pick up trucks both gas and diesel ... no one makes programer that works on a tundra? ... if they did it should work for a gx470 right?

I have the same question. I am more interested in correcting shift points and the speedometer after I install my lift and bigger tires. Hopefully someone with some experience chimes in...

The only thing a tuner would be able to help with is the speedometer. Shift points are only going to be corrected with a gear change. And honestly, the only way a tuner can add performance to a naturally aspirated gasoline engine, is to mess with the timing advance - and require higher octane fuel. Not worth the extra 5-10 hp or torque it might add - especially since you would never notice it, unless you're drag racing, and need that extra .05 at the end of the 1/4 mile.....

I have searched for a detailed write-up, preferably with pics, with not much success on here or other places. Has anyone found a good step by step on the DIY drain and fill? I have a 06 with 182k. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom