Builds 80 guy with a GX added to the stable! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like to beat up my stock wheels rather then buy something nice and think about it. Plus they are FREE as I own them already.

EDIT: I just researched them a little. I will pass. The rub I have is soo minor it's no a issue at all. I will just keep and eye out for some used wheels at some point. No hurry.
Just monitor the forums. I found the methods I am running for $500 in GA.
If looking for decent priced new wheels the Level 8 wheels like wingysataday, Orion, and some others run are $140 each at my local Discount Tire. Not free but not bad at $560 for four. They are on my wish list.
I'll be going with stealth custom series when I do change wheels!

Ordered this bad boy up a week or so ago when I picked up the gx! Glad to have it in my hands and installed!! What a slick unit.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ordered this bad boy up a week or so ago when I picked up the gx! Glad to have it in my hands and installed!! What a slick unit.
View attachment 1305407 View attachment 1305405 View attachment 1305401

That radio is great! Where did you find it and what is it called? I want one! I have the bluetooth thing now but that radio is nice. Let me know whats up. And what size tires you have on with the wheel spacers? I have 2" spacers and want to upgrade my tires soon. THanks

That radio is great! Where did you find it and what is it called? I want one! I have the bluetooth thing now but that radio is nice. Let me know whats up. And what size tires you have on with the wheel spacers? I have 2" spacers and want to upgrade my tires soon. THanks

Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen GX470

As far as tires, they are 285/70r17 some trimming required

Last edited:
Bye bye running boards! Was able to get off the pavement a little and enjoyed the ride of this thing with the 33s! Unfortunately today she threw a P2714 code and went into limp mode... Anyone have any experience with this? 145k miles and one owner with dealer maintenance records hopefully I didn't get myself a problem rig..

What did you use to level your front? Would love to level mine with spacers or something to get by until I install a lift.

Andrew,

Congrats, good to see I haven't been the only one from the 80 side looking over the fence.... I know here are a few others who also have crossed over. This platform is getting more and more attainable for some, and the vendor support seems to be growing!

Looks like a prefect overland starting point :). Nice job.

-Matt

Andrew,

Congrats, good to see I haven't been the only one from the 80 side looking over the fence.... I know here are a few others who also have crossed over. This platform is getting more and more attainable for some, and the vendor support seems to be growing!

Looks like a prefect overland starting point :). Nice job.

-Matt
Thanks Matt! Just decided to take the 80 a little too far for an overland rig and dedicate it to trails, still much to come on the 80 but this is a nice break! Refreshing to drive something with a v8 and ifs on long road trips and around the town, excited to chip away at this as well but I am going to be a lot more carefull with not taking this one past the point of no return!!

hmm P2714 is a shifter solenoid. If you have a serviceable tranny you can flush it. If it isnt serviceable (sealed) you may have to crack it open. Pretty sure that code is associated with a lack of pressure and is usually a mechanical problem with the valve or debris causing a blockage of fluid.

hmm P2714 is a shifter solenoid. If you have a serviceable tranny you can flush it. If it isnt serviceable (sealed) you may have to crack it open. Pretty sure that code is associated with a lack of pressure and is usually a mechanical problem with the valve or debris causing a blockage of fluid.

Dan- I know you've been over in the 120 land for awhile, and not to high jack Andrews thread, but do certain years have sealed vs. serviceable trans?

Sorry to see the Avo up for sale, but I understand time must change.

-A

2004 and later are sealed. But it's basically meaningless. You can change the fluid easy enough. You just need to jump through some hoops to get the trans temp up to a certain range to check the level at the end. Basically it means you don't have a dip stick any longer. My dealer charged $180 to flush it through the fitting to the transmission cooler. Lots of threads about it and pros and cons. Here is one on how to check the level.

Transmission Fluid Temp. - Check mode - Club Lexus Forums

Last edited:
2004 and later are sealed. But it's basically meaningless. You can change the fluid easy enough. You just need to jump through some hoops to get the trans temp up to a certain range to check the level at the end. Basically it means you don't have a dip stick any longer. My dealer charged $180 to flush it through the fitting to the transmission cooler. Lots of threads about it and pros and cons. Here is one on how to check the level.

Transmission Fluid Temp. - Check mode - Club Lexus Forums

I cleared the code, flushed tranny and replaced tranny filter, problem has not come back yet, fingers crossed!

booyah! Most likely some crap stuck in the solenoid valve and you got it out. cheers!

Well I decided it was time for some new shoes! Stealth custom series Stealth6's it is! I also decided these 285/70r17 (33x11.5) tires were just slightly to small for my liking! So if anyone local to WA wants a steal of a deal on these brand new tires let me know! Ordered up some 285/75r17 (34x11.5) nitto ridge grapplers to try out, loved the falken at3w but figured if I was ordering new tires might as well try others out. Hopefully will get new rubber mounted up within the next few days, tomorrow calls for some led lighting, body mount chop, pinch weld pounding and some other minor jobs! Update with new tires to come.
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom