All lights dim considerably with trailer hook up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, I have just installed a new trailer light converter from hopkins after my original s*** the bed. Install when smooth. However I noticed while testing functionality at night that my whole rig dims some when the I plug in my boat trailer. This would represent a normal night driving situation. The trailer has 6 small marker lights and 3 tiny marker lights. None of the lights are led. In a similar situation if I plug in my small utility trailer with 2 led lights, the vehicle lights dim ever so slightly. I have never noticed this happening before. Is this normal? If not what is the possible cause? Could my alternator be producing too low voltage at idle? Any help is always appreciated

Any opinions on this? I just assumed someone would chime in by now? Should it possibly be posted somewhere else?

So, from what your saying, the lights only dim when you plug in your trailer. If that's the case, the problem my be in the trailer wiring harness you just installed. I'd start off first by checking the simple stuff, go back and check the Hopkins connector you just installed. Then check all the wiring connections on the trailer that dimmed your lights the most. Open up each connector, make sure that all the connections are tight, free of any corrosion, and check that no wires have rubbed through on the frame.

I had exactly this awhile back with a bigger Wells cargo trailer (~20'+) --with running light bulbs like a Christmas tree!! - I was running a couple loads for a buddy who was moving, and we saw how it about zapped my battery too, so since we were running at dusk in Summer with a big dusk window, I would run the 80 with my hand throttle when we were loading or unloading to let the battery catch up, and def no killing the motor.

If you still have your 80a alt I'm not surprised, I seem to recall we killed the air blower & just rode with windows down - just conserving amps to make the 15 min trip each way & we noticed about trip 2 or 3.

I just don't think the stock alternator was meant to power a ton of bulbs like the older Wells Cargo trailers have, etc - I was spinning highway revs the bulk of our trips, and not sitting at stoplights - just didn't keep up.

Was real glad for that hand throttle!

Install a Capacitor on the Power Line of the Lights?
I'm speaking my thoughts.....this might not work.

I have a similar problem on my rig, it dims my turn signals and brake lights and the trailer lights are dim with even basic trailer lights. And I have a brand new soldered in Hopkins box and connector.

Break out the multimeter and check voltages then check for shorts and grounds. I would hit all your ground points first. Clean off all corrosion and add alittle dielectric grease...

Dimming only? Have you blown the fuse yet? I had a problem with blowing fuses towing my scout troops trailer with just side running lights and std rear lights. Will say that I also have the extra lights on ARB/Kaymar front/rear bumpers so load on the fuse for the lights was maxed. Solved it replacing all trailer lights with LED.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom