Airflow snorkel vs Safari (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I lost the plastic Safari grille early into my Cruiser's life. Ran it without one but got tired of fishing sticks out of the air filter drop cannister. Jeff Bryant made me a steel one that 's really nice, mounts with the stock harware.

I don't think Safari is a perfect product but I think it's a pretty good one, provided you correct a few deficiencies. I replaced the three wimpy plastic inserts with nutcerts, re-powdercoated the bracket they attach too, and replaced the grille. Mine's been on the truck for 8 years and it's holding up really well.

Anyone have the part # for the OEM 80 series "hat"? I've been wanting to run one of those on mine.

Where do I get a OEM snorkel should I go talk to the Toyota dealer hear? As far as not being for a 70, I have seen them on several and I think it looks alot better than others. I love that cone hat look, I wish it made the engine breath through an oil bubbler, now that would be high po.

VTCruiser said:
any pics of the OE units?

Greg's BJ74 with the OEM Snorkel on the Left...My BJ74 with the Safari Snorkel on the Right. :beer:

October_7_2004.sized.jpg

roscoFJ73 said:
I thought this home made job was a good effort. Getting the bends right and adding the scoop makes all the difference
i think that looks very clean, nice job...
cheers

beanz2 said:
A Chev donk in that Bundy, Ross?

Dave

Not too sure,but the V6 holden motor is the most common swap

Stone said:
Greg's BJ74 with the OEM Snorkel on the Left...My BJ74 with the Safari Snorkel on the Right. :beer:

QUOTE]

Gets down to personal taste in the end as they both look great but Im warming to the OEM but tomorrow that could change.:D

Ok Ive found another ,its the TJM Airtec snorkel.
Any thoughts on these,is it just someone elses snorkel with TJM AIRTEC brand added?

pic_snorkel_diag.gif

as far as i know Dan was dropping that line of snorkels, he never mentioned why but that is what i heard from him...
cheers

The OEM ones are so much cooler, althought the other style almost rams air into the motor which is so cool.

I prefer the aftermarket snorkels - the OEM snorkel looks cooler, but its divided in two parts. Any mistakes during the installation or an accident during a ride should let water into the snorkel.

My plan is to lay a stainless-steel-pipe straight through the upper fender, next to the hood (passengers side), down to the airbox. I've allready changed the original airbox (don't wonna buy the africa-spec one) so the air intake is in the fender. Maybe I finish this the next weeks.

have a nice day

I have had the OME snorkel and its not good, but lucks greats, now I have e safari unit.... its the best one.... the air flow its cheeper but Its not that bulletproof..

Cyclonic Pre-Filter

How do you guys like the 7" cyclonic pre-filter that I just installed today? Bought it from Dan at 4wheelauto. It's the 7" model (smaller one), and seems to be of good quality.

The cap is metal and has a wingnut that is attached to it so you don't lose it. The clear body is made out of Lexan. The base o the unit that contains the vanes looks to be made of black plastic. The unit is made in South Africa.

I do a bit of gravel travel with lots of dust when I'm seeking out lakes to go flyfishing...so I'm hoping that this would help keep my air filter a little cleaner.
Cyclonic Pre-Filter 003.jpg
Cyclonic Pre-Filter 004.jpg
Cyclonic Pre-Filter 001.jpg

Tonito said:
I prefer the aftermarket snorkels - the OEM snorkel looks cooler, but its divided in two parts. Any mistakes during the installation or an accident during a ride should let water into the snorkel.

Yes, the OEM is a two piece, which will not be waterproof. Which is why I used caulking when I put mine together. I did not caulk the point at the fender, however, thinking the gasket would be enough for most situations.

Mucho more peso for the OEM too...I inherited mine, otherwise it would have been Safari.

gb

Stone said:
How do you guys like the 7" cyclonic pre-filter that I just installed today? Bought it from Dan at 4wheelauto. It's the 7" model (smaller one), and seems to be of good quality.

I kinda like it Stone! Want to see it close up though.

gb

Exiled said:
I replaced the three wimpy plastic inserts with nutcerts,

Did the same thing with my OEM snorkle on the BJ74. Drilled the metal attachment point out so it would sit over the shoulder of the nutcerts, and put a stainless washer on top, so the metal bracket now sits flush, but is secure.

gb

Hey Stone,
What are you going to do with your old snorkle head?

I use the ram style on the highway hopefully getting better airflow. I do like the Cyclonic. The dusty Roads in Utah is where I noticed it. I doubt you will really need to empty it being in BC.

Is it a Donaldson? Oh yeah.. it makes a cool soung sucking in the air. Just wait till you have the passenger window down :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom