Air compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up an Ingersoll Rand for under $1K at Tractor Supply recently. It was marked down a little and they had a 10% off coupon.

It seems to be a pretty solid unit, I wired up a 60 gallon unit at work about the same time I installed mine in my garage, the 80 gal was night and day in comparison to the 60.

I got a 5 horse 60 gallon t-30 IR used for 300 bucks in craigslist. the guy delivered it for another $50 after I said YES, PLEASE and paid him for it. I changed the oil and filter and replaced the broken pressure switch for another bill. just got it Cali State certified, registered and permitted. tank wall thickness still has room to shrink. Inspector said I got a hell of a deal...

I picked up an Ingersoll Rand for under $1K at Tractor Supply recently. It was marked down a little and they had a 10% off coupon.

It seems to be a pretty solid unit, I wired up a 60 gallon unit at work about the same time I installed mine in my garage, the 80 gal was night and day in comparison to the 60.

Night and Day in a good way toward the 80?

I got a 5 horse 60 gallon t-30 IR used for 300 bucks in craigslist. the guy delivered it for another $50 after I said YES, PLEASE and paid him for it. I changed the oil and filter and replaced the broken pressure switch for another bill. just got it Cali State certified, registered and permitted. tank wall thickness still has room to shrink. Inspector said I got a hell of a deal...

Those deals are few and far between.

Night and Day in a good way toward the 80?

Yes, the 60 gal unit seemed to be more of a Harry Homeowner type of unit, the 80 gal crosses the line into a commercial grade.

Nope. Major fine from cal/osha for unlicensed pressure vessels. It's not just a cali thing...

Nope. Major fine from cal/osha for unlicensed pressure vessels. It's not just a cali thing...

That definitely sounds like a cali thing. Never heard of it. We have an annual OSHA and fire dept inspection on everything in my shop, they are constantly bugging me about about silly stuff, but they've never said anything about the ancient 80 gal compressor I have.

Haha ignorance is bliss I guess...

I know propane tanks and refrigerant recovery tanks have to be certified by a date stamped on the tank but thought that was a DOT thing since these are portable and transported on the road. Same with A/C units. They have a soft plug so that in case of a fire the plug melts and refrigerant vents slowly instead of becoming a bomb, again this is DOT. If this is true about OHSA to sell a air compressor won't it have to be certified? Than have a date stamp when it needed to be certified again.

Than have a date stamp when it needed to be certified again.

While shopping around for my AC I thought I noticed some brands had a date stamp on the tank, something about 10 years rings a bell. Out of curiosity I am going to do a little digging on this one.

80 gal 5hp single phase. Recommendations? Under $1k

I scored an 5hp IR dual stage upright 60g on CL few years back for under $500 I think. Good thing it was a 60g because the 80g would've been too tall to fit in the detached plastic shed thing that came with the house. I did have to separate the head from the tank and then move them one at a time. Putting the head back on top of the tank was a PITA due to the weight and working near my head level.

I ended up going with the 60 gal 5hp IR model SS4 from Tractor Supply. Caught it on sale. Plumbed in from outside and hardwired from a 30 breaker. Cant hear it run at all. So far so good.

IMG_3834.PNG

^SS5 here. You'll love it.

Im gonna break ground on a pole barn style garage/ shop like that in the near future as well. What size is yours?

I know propane tanks and refrigerant recovery tanks have to be certified by a date stamped on the tank but thought that was a DOT thing since these are portable and transported on the road. Same with A/C units. They have a soft plug so that in case of a fire the plug melts and refrigerant vents slowly instead of becoming a bomb, again this is DOT. If this is true about OHSA to sell a air compressor won't it have to be certified? Than have a date stamp when it needed to be certified again.

permit follows the pressure vessel, wanna say it is a five year renewal in CALI.....it's a pressure vessel thing and only applies if you have employees working where you have a stationary pressure vessel. Boilers, air receivers, LPG tanks etc...guy looks at the install to make sure there are no obvious flub ups, no relief valves bypassed, correct relief valve capacity, then soniclly measures wall thickness at top bottom and middle. Pressure vessels must be ASME certified and their wall thickness must be within a window of the stamped specs. only exception to certification for permit at work is with an asme certified tank with a volume of less than 11.4 gallons AND operating pressure less than 110 PSI...it's about the tank, not the compressor...
guy stamps numbers in the unit and records the # and addy of the unit in their files. permit follows compressor but needs to be updated if it moves. if it remains in a building and a new tenant takes it over and doesn't alter or move the unit to another addy, nothing more than renewal needs to happen...

you won't be sorry on a rig like that. well, maybe... mine has 2 cylinders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom