Aftermarket Wheel Thread (non Toyota, non TRD) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sadly i think the BFD's aren't stout enough - recall Vin said they were only 2100 lb rated. that said I ran them on my old 100 and LOVED the m for the $$..... great finish and light at 22lbs...

E

That's unfortunate. Guess that explains why I don't see anyone running them.

What's the recommended minimum load rating on wheels?

Is 2100lbs adequate for tundras? I've come across numerous pictures on the interwebs of them on tundras...

Last edited:
Anyone familiar with the Varrstoen VTX Terra? available in 18x9, 5x150. load rating isn't listed on their site...

TRA5x127_SB_1785_front.jpg

It was these 20 inch wheels on ebay sold as replicas that I was mentioning with the 770 kg load limit.

s-l1600.jpg

@AL LC2013 :I said it.

And just think about it a moment ... Toyota designed a wheel/tire system that has the tire component spec'd at a Load Limit of 2,512 pounds - does it make sense to pair that with the wheel you researched that is spec'd at <1700 pounds? That would mean that the wheel/tire system would have a Load Limit of the weaker component, <1700 pounds. With a rear GAWR of 4,300 pounds, the wheels would not even be able to safely support the static load of a fully loaded vehicle - add live loading of hitting a pot hole, etc. and you will have created a recipe for catastrophic failure.

HTH

It was these 20 inch wheels on ebay sold as replicas that I was mentioning with the 770 kg load limit.

Good wheels to avoid ... for a number of reasons, insufficient Load Rating just one of them.

Listing states that the centerbore may or may be larger than the spec and may require a center ring, says wheels are blanks with lug pattern cut to order, and, if your pic is from their listing, then very odd to see weights on wheels represented as new (genuine or fake):

LC200BBSKnockoffs_11MAR17_zpsqcvljqdy.jpg

There are so many great wheels available that meet our requirements, it just seems very foolhardy to cheap out on wheels at the expense of overall safety.

HTH

Additional gratuitous comment:

The definition of a "good" wheel for our vehicles is not just whether it is the correct width, correct diameter and has a 5 x 150 lug pattern. Offset, whether lug-centric or hub-centric, weight, and Load Limit are all factors that should be considered. If a vendor/maker cannot provide ALL this info, then it would be wise to pass.

Black Rhino Tenay rims with tinted center alloy section. Cooper ST Maxx 295/70/18. Runs on sway bar and where mudflap was. OME 3" lift.

Here's the pics:

Black Rhino Tenay wheels w/ Cooper S/T Maxx 295/70/18. Love the look, trimmed the plastic on drivers side and it rubs sway bar at full lock. No biggie.
They seem to photograph as a bronze but they are more of a gun metal. It's the "tinted alloy" center section. Picked them up from ChiTown4X4.com as a great package deal.

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

It's my understanding that most of these alloy wheels come out of one or two factories in Taiwan. They're all of the same quality essentially. Feel free to correct me if anyone has any insider info. FN, Black Rhino, XD... all just designs that are protected by patents for a time and then when they expire all the companies start cranking out clones along the same maufacturing lines.

That's what I've heard, could be BS. I don't know...

For those running aftermarket wheels, what are doing about your spare?

For those running aftermarket wheels, what are doing about your spare?
I have a matching 5th wheel and do a 5-tire cross-pattern rotation every 5k miles. 285/65/18 fits fine as a spare but ymmv. I know others skip the cross-pattern rotation to mitigate balancing issues, but I have not had any issues - I'm on my 2nd rotation iteration currently with a 3rd planned in about a 1,000 miles so take that for what it's worth.

I have a matching 5th wheel and do a 5-tire cross-pattern rotation every 5k miles. 285/65/18 fits fine as a spare but ymmv. I know others skip the cross-pattern rotation to mitigate balancing issues, but I have not had any issues - I'm on my 2nd rotation iteration currently with a 3rd planned in about a 1,000 miles so take that for what it's worth.

Thanks for the update. Looking at the same wheel/tire size as you're running. How do the Methods hold up in the spare tire well? Stay pretty clean?

Wheels clean up fine, and I do use Chemical Guys Wheel Wax to help with brake dust. But regardless, a 3000lbs pressure washer takes care of anything picked up pretty easily. It's actually the tire grime that I find to be more difficult to remove and takes a couple of washes to eliminate. But I'm not a shiny tire guy and it doesn't bother me, otherwise I might address that more carefully during its initial wash while in rotation.

Was struggling with the looks of the 275/70-18's BFG KO2's on the stock rims. So I cowboy'd up and went with the Method NV's. Went down a size to 17" rims and running 285/70-17. Tried the 315's but they hit in all kinds of places. (BTW HATE the Yakima rack but needed to carry a few gallons of gas as we are hitting White Rim Trail in a few days).

Last edited:
Was struggling with the looks of the 275/70-18's BFG KO2's on the stock rims. So I cowboy'd up and went with the Method NV's. Went down a size to 17" rims and running 285/70-17. Tried the 315's but they hit in all kinds of places. (BTW HATE the Yakima rack but needed to carry a few gallons of gas as we are hitting White Rim Trail in a few days).

Are you running a Tundra suspension in front and rear spacers? Or are those wheels just a crazy-wide offset? If neither of the above, it would have to be darn near zero offset...?

Last edited:
OME all around, no spacers. And not running SPC UCA's yet, the camber is off giving them the illusion of flaring out at the top. The SPC's will fix that. I just bought the rig about 2 weeks ago and ran out time to get them. Only was able to get the lift and Airbags on. We are on a week and a half road trip, so my time was cut short.

The offset does put them about 3/4" out in the rear on the drivers side and a shy less then 1/2" on the passenger side. Thinking of adjustable pan hard bar to re-center the axel.

I really like the color but am concerned about the offset.

Had to do a little magic with the heat gun, but not to bad.

Yes sir, good eye.

17x8.5 | 5x150 | 0/4.75

Yes sir, good eye.

17x8.5 | 5x150 | 0/4.75

OK. That explains the look... Because on my Rock Warriors, at +50 offset (stock is +60), even adding 1.25" spacers all around doesn't stick out nearly as far. Nor does 20... So figured it must be close to zero.

I see it barely misses the rear well when one side is stuffed...but what will happen if you fully stuff on a hard bump or hard landing where both sides go straight up...rather than leaning inward as in the single-side stuff?

Not sure it's a problem. Being as how they are pretty much stock size in overall diameter in would imagine the bump stops would stop the upward travel. And I'm not a Baja runner... Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom