Aftermarket Emblems On Ebay Vs NOS VS Used Original (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see lots of aftermarket emblems on Ebay. Im trying to get some of the missing parts for my 79FJ 40 and I need the front Toyota emblems and the side Toyota Land Cruiser emblems.

Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket parts being made overseas? What should I be looking for?

Since I don't have the original emblem i don't really know how they attach but I imagine its a post or a bolt?

Any breakdown or guidance on the emblems would be appreciated. For example are the originals metal or plastic?

why not new oem?

X2 on OEM, why even mess with aftermarket on this as these aren’t that expensive in the overall scheme of things. OEM will last, most of the others probably won’t.

I see lots of aftermarket emblems on Ebay. Im trying to get some of the missing parts for my 79FJ 40 and I need the front Toyota emblems and the side Toyota Land Cruiser emblems.

Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket parts being made overseas? What should I be looking for?

Since I don't have the original emblem i don't really know how they attach but I imagine its a post or a bolt?

Any breakdown or guidance on the emblems would be appreciated. For example are the originals metal or plastic?

OEM are metal and great quality. My 73 still had the original emblems over 30 years old when I got it. At a little over 40 years I finally replaced them not too long ago and went back with OEM. The only reason I replaced the emblems was that the Chrome plating finally had some pitting and they were starting to look pretty ragged.

They all have bolts that go through the body and they are secured with nuts. No 3m double sided tape on these babies, these are old school emblems. Make sure that you also get the rubber backing pad that goes behind some of the emblems.

Another great long time supplier is Mark. www.marksoffroad.net
Here are just some of the emblems Mark has. Catalogue Page 20 Catalogue Page 24

Last edited:
I believe the 79 front grill emblem, side curtain emblems and rear "4 WHEEL DRIVE" are premium Japanese synthetic material. The rear "TOYOTA" is still chromed/painted metal. He's right though, the older metal emblems are the best. In the build by @TractorDoc early—>9/1973 metal side cutain emblems were used on his post 9/73 cruiser, I can't recall if hole modification was needed.

@cruiseroutfit probably knows what emblems can be had in metal

Ok cool. I just bought the OEM ones on ebay but I do believe they are plastic for the 79 fj40?

Do the early and late emblems use the same mounting holes? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure the apron holes are different between early and later model emblems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom