After market parts vs. Toyota parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Once the head gasket on my LX450 is replaced repaired and the head is machined + a valve job, I plan on having the following parts installed:

-Radiator
-Water Pump
-Fan Clutch
-Power Steering pump (it's a reman that has never worked right, according to the previous owner's records) and it groans awfully when I turn the wheel
-Thermostat (Aisin)
-All new hoses
-New coolant (Is the Toyota red coolant still available?)

Are there any specific parts in the list above for which I should go with Toyota original only? I heard that there is a rebuild kit (seals) for the power steering pump, so I want to go factory only on that part, but what about the other stuff?

Thanks in advance for your help.

OEM water pump is second to none. Stay with Toyota for power steering too. &thermostat

Pretty sure the RockAuto Aisin waterpump is an OEM unit with the Toyota casting ground off. It's around $50 plus shipping. Not sure how that compares to Toyota, but mine has been fine.

I usually go with Toyota parts, but I will substitute if the aftermarket is a proven product from a OEM supplier or uses Toyota cores as in the Eclipse Series brake components from NAPA. Most of the AC system stuff I bought was Denso from RockAuto and they all appeared to be identical to the OEM stuff I replaced.

Anything that is an internal motor part that would take a lot of work to get back into has to be Toyota for me though.

I roll with green coolant, but Toyota Red is fine, just a lot more expensive and not as readily available as green and you can't mix them.

I usually go with OEM also. Will go with aftermarket on brakes and rotors but the rest i usually stay factory.

Depending on what you are needing, it's often possible to get OEM equivalent from aftermarket. They have different colored packaging, if that is important to you, but other than that, the same part.

-Radiator - Some aftermarket out perform and cost significantly less.
-Water Pump - AISIN WPT023 same part in a different color box.
-Fan Clutch - AISIN FCT004 same part in a different color box. We often referb the original with new fluid.
-Power Steering pump (it's a reman that has never worked right, according to the previous owner's records) and it groans awfully when I turn the wheel - What fluid is in it and is it leaking?
-Thermostat (Aisin) - AISIN THT015 same part in a different color box.

If you prefer to support good Cruiser vendors, Cruiser Outfitters has most of that and are a solid choice. The water pump is a very solid piece, have almost never seen a problem with them. At this age I would replace the fan blade ahead of it, AISIN FNT004.

Stay OEM if you’re planning to keep it for the long haul. I recently went with an aftermarket master brake cylinder only to have it fail on me a few weeks later while on a long trip through Colorado. It’s not fun descending Black Bear with sketchy brakes.

EDIT: except for coolant.

Stay OEM if you’re planning to keep it for the long haul. I recently went with an aftermarket master brake cylinder only to have it fail on me a few weeks later while on a long trip through Colorado. It’s not fun descending Black Bear with sketchy brakes.

EDIT: except for coolant.

Just guessing, but, bet it wasn't ADVICS brand?

For the power steering pump, definitely go OEM. Two of my aftermarket ines failed back to back. Which is how I changed my pump 3 times in 4 months. The thread here for the replacement is great.

The good:
OEM Front and rear rotors
OEM TPS (2nd time)
OEM Control arm bushings
OEM Interior window seals
OEM Plug wires
OEM Axle kit
OEM U-joints
OEM Toyota lug nuts
OEM Spark plugs
OEM Toyota red coolant
OEM Belts
OEM Steering box rebuild kit

Napa Eclipse reman front calipers

Autozone reman power steering pump

Rockauto High pressure steering hose - this is a good unit that matched factory.
Rockauto AC Compressor - New Denso unit. 4 years and still solid.

The bad:
Rockauto TPS - failed after 1 year
Rockauto Rear brake calipers - good units but now covered in rust. Napa remans come painted.
Rockauto Wiper motor - 2 months old and the seal melted from the heat and leaked in the engine bay.

I've been really unhappy with the quality of the rockauto stuff and while I pay more for OEM, it's a part that will last another 20+ years (usually).

I've been really unhappy with the quality of the rockauto stuff ...

You are aware that rockauto is just a reseller, just like most parts stores, right? The big difference is it's up to you to make the part selection, without the help of the counter kid. None of the parts were are rockauto brand, knowing what they are would be helpful. Like most parts stores they get their parts from wholesale distributor (WD) warehouses. Unlike most they don't stock any parts, when you order, they place your order with the closest WD to you and it's drop shipped, so they never even see "your" part.

For example, they offer rear calipers that are coated from Raybestos and ACDELCO, if you are in a rust prone area and it important to you, could have selected one of those? The way they do business is efficient, but it is on you to know what you want and make the best selection. They offer whatever the WD has, from bargain basement to top brand parts.

the TYC radiator from Amazon works great on our 80 - just sayin'

It always seems logical to me when you have choosen for a Toyota LandCruiser whatever series, that is known by it's fine quality and longevity to proceed maintaining it with the same original parts as it was designed and calculated in order to keep the same qualities and reliability

If not so it will turn out to become a "Great Wall" or "Mahindra" 4x4 clone by itself

:cheers:

NAPA variety. I allowed myself to slip from my usual OEM OCD and quickly regretted it. I’d bet an AISIN would be fine.

Aisin brake division is now called ADVICS.

NAPA is a parts distributor, with most stores franchise. What I don't like about them is; most of their stuff is repackaged, private labeled, so have to trust them to pick the best brand. I prefer to know the brand that I'm buying.

Last edited:
It always seems logical to me when you have choosen for a Toyota LandCruiser whatever series, that is known by it's fine quality and longevity to proceed maintaining it with the same original parts as it was designed and calculated in order to keep the same qualities and reliability

If not so it will turn out to become a "Great Wall" or "Mahindra" 4x4 clone by itself

So, if I run an Aisin fan clutch out of a blue box, instead of an Aisin one out of a Toyota box, I need to change the badge to Mahindra? :hillbilly:

Aisin brake division is now called ADVICS.

NAPA is a parts distributor, with most stores franchise. What I don't like about them is; most of their stuff is repackaged, private labeled, so have to trust them to pick the best brand. I prefer to know the brand that I'm buying.

A big chance to call it a "Mahindra" thanks to AWA's repackagers network !

A big chance to call it a "Mahindra" thanks to AWA's repackagers network !

Mine has a TYC radiator, but the head gasket set is MAHLE, suspension and front bumper are OME/ARB, rear bumper and tires USA. So should that mongral be a great wall or mahindra, kinda confusing?:hillbilly:

I've been really unhappy with the quality of the rockauto stuff and while I pay more for OEM, it's a part that will last another 20+ years (usually).

Def OEM crew here myself, but even Toyota OEM isn't what OEM used to be (e.g. oil filter, spark plugs, wiper arms). 80 series parts getting discontinued is a bad sad thing.

I just found a few additional records that the previous owner provided. I called one of the local San Diego shops that worked on the LX450; they confirmed that they only use genuine Toyota parts.

They replaced the tensioner pulley (@ 141K miles) & fan clutch (@ 143K miles) with OEM parts. The radiator is a Koyo, which was installed @158K miles by a different shop.

The water pump and thermostat have never been replaced, according to all of the records I received from the previous owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom