African expedition FJ/HJ60 Build for Jesus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know for sure re: the relays, so use 3. They cost.... $5 each? Just run 2 plugs off of each relay.

I don't know how to solve the 14v, 8v, 10.5v problem. I would be tempted to try running the 14v plugs. Just hook one up to a 12v battery and see how hot it gets (use caution). You don't need optimum performance, just something to warm up a bit. Remember, you're starting in 75+ temps, which is pretty warm already.

Or maybe you can buy some resistors and run the 8v plugs? There are many mudders who are better at electrical than I. If you do run resistors, maybe you can bundle them somehow and put them on the fuel line so that the heat that they produce will help preheat the fuel (a very little bit).

Might work.

The 14v glow plugs won't get warm enough....already checked. I looked into using a resistor but need 800watt, 0.5 ohm resistor at ~ $250. Were just going to order the 10.5v glow plugs.

There is a ton of info about "wilson" switch glow plugs here on the board....just search.

Leni

As per the missionaries request, we will be doing an EDIC cable and Wilson switch.

I know lots of folks like the pull cable and Wilson switch. Personally I like the EDIC because it's "idiot proof". You need to emphasize that the cable MUST be in the "Run" position when running otherwise you WILL be over fueling and you WILL ruin the engine. The other option is to ensure the cable cannot go to the overfuel or "Start" position. Are you installing an EGT gauge?

p.s. Heading over to Sierra Leone in February! You guys sure you don't want to do a body swap on my BJ60?

This is disappointing...

I'm sure you're right; I remember thinking it looked weird before I put it all back together... I guess I'm gana have to pull it all back apart.

=(

Well that blows. I guess that's what I get for taking it to ABC. Sorry man. :whoops:

Well that blows. I guess that's what I get for taking it to ABC. Sorry man. :whoops:

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I took a new flywheel that I got from cruiser parts took to a local store in kansas city. All it needed was the surface cleaned cause it had sat on a shelf for quite a few years. well any way came back to pick it up and there isn't a step and they said they had to take 40 thousands off to get rid of the step. I was not a happy camper but what could i do. i had them put a step in it and i threw it in the cruiser and it works fine.

Why does it need a step? Is there a corresponding step in the friction plate?

Last edited:
Why does it need a step? Is there a corresponding step in the friction plate?

The pressure plate bolts on to the area that has the down step. The .020" step or .508mm gives it the correct pressure as toyota intended. I had the flywheel on the my 40 cut to .030" for more clamping force. Not sure i could tell a difference on that one.

Ex

It seems as though this thread has died out as of December 25th...

I haven't been following it all that much, and didn't realise some of the problems you were having with the 2H 12V conversion.

I have a few parts that I can donate if you are looking for something to make the 12V - 24V conversion work. I should have some 10.5V glow plugs (lightly used) that I can send down, but the 8.5s should work fine of not glowed for too long.

The glow relay, as you may have figured out by now, can just be a starter solenoid such as used by Ford. Test the amount of time it takes to glow and put that on a sticker next to the switch.

~John

It seems as though this thread has died out as of December 25th...

I haven't been following it all that much, and didn't realise some of the problems you were having with the 2H 12V conversion.

I have a few parts that I can donate if you are looking for something to make the 12V - 24V conversion work. I should have some 10.5V glow plugs (lightly used) that I can send down, but the 8.5s should work fine of not glowed for too long.

The glow relay, as you may have figured out by now, can just be a starter solenoid such as used by Ford. Test the amount of time it takes to glow and put that on a sticker next to the switch.

~John

Yeah, the Holidays happened and then life happened. We've been steadily tying up loose ends. We have Glow plugs on order from $OR (used; don't worry) and will be setting them up this next week. We installed a new Windshield, finished the rear bumper, and took the tranny back out to have a step milled in the flywheel.

More to come... Should be shipping in the next couple weeks.

Should be shipping in the next couple weeks.

If you guys take much longer I'll put mine in the container with this one!!

I'm heading off to Sierra Leone in a week for a month fact finding trip.

Update: Installed Glow plugs, Installed EDIC replacement (pull cable), Bled the fuel system VERY well and she fired right up and went to idle running perfectly...

Tying up some loose ends.. Probably going to ship in the next couple weeks.

Picture of the group and almost finished truck:

_MG_5355.jpg

Picture of the group and almost finished truck:

_MG_5355.jpg

I see you still have my f body in the back ground... ill be by tomorrow to pick it back up. :grinpimp:

Not sure about the 2H diesel flywheels but the 2F motor flywheels need to be steeped.

they are .. and the hability to start without glow plugs depends on your enviroment temp ..

I see you still have my f body in the back ground... ill be by tomorrow to pick it back up. :grinpimp:

What you can't see behind the HJ60 is the freshly restored '72 Chevelle My buddy Brad just finished from a 2.5 year frame-off restore. His Grama bought it brand new in '71 and its been in the family ever since. Its WAY cooler than the Firebird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom