Wanted Advice: Should I buy A FJ-40 now for 10-12k or wait a few years for something close to 20k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
I want to buy an FJ- 40 to drive a lot and take on trails. Nothing too ruff. I am 15 at the moment.
I have 10k saved up and can borrow 2-3k from my parents. I’m getting 4K saved each year from 4-H and I have 3 years left.
I could care less less about comfort. I know they are really dangerous so I’ll also be driving a Dodge Dakota.
should I get one now and put some money and time in it. Or should I wait a while and I buy a polished one?

It's really a 40 but it has the rear tub of a 25. Toyota is known for using up old parts and making a couple of these hybrids. They end up being really cool trucks because they have some parts of the newer models and some cool parts of the older ones mixed together.

This one was pretty cool because it had a centered rear diff and the rear tub of a FJ25, but has the firewall and driveline of a FJ40. also it was super cool about it is that it has the original starter and original carburetor and is running on all six cylinders beautifully.

I can put you in touch with my buddy if you're interested. If I didn't already have two 40 series I'd be grabbing this one.

Since you're posting on a forum on advice on what to buy...you aren't ready ;) Be a man, choose what you want, buy it (with the help from a licensed driver who can register, insure it and potentially drive it). Learn from your mistakes and move forward if you make a bad choice. No one truly knows your situation and capability, only way to find out is get your feet wet.

Plus you're 15. In 3 years you may very well no longer like these trucks. If you truly are capable of supporting a purchase in the near future, buy a truck that runs and drives so you can truly start to enjoy it and get laid in it.

Last edited:
Put that money towards college, get the cruiser later.
I wouldn't assume that investment in college will out-preform investment in a Land Cruiser. Both can be crappy. On-line degrees will flood the market just like S.A. Land Cruisers. Enjoyment wise, you can't lose with the Land Cruiser. Only thing worse, an expensive girlfriend.
But I do echo the advice, be liquid in your funds, and ready.

It's really a 40 but it has the rear tub of a 25. Toyota is known for using up old parts and making a couple of these hybrids. They end up being really cool trucks because they have some parts of the newer models and some cool parts of the older ones mixed together.

This one was pretty cool because it had a centered rear diff and the rear tub of a FJ25, but has the firewall and driveline of a FJ40. also it was super cool about it is that it has the original starter and original carburetor and is running on all six cylinders beautifully.

I can put you in touch with my buddy if you're interested. If I didn't already have two 40 series I'd be grabbing this one.
Just have to chime in and correct this. Early fj40’s 61 thru 63 that we’re factory soft tops had the same door opening as fj25’s, with square wheel wells( 25’s are round) .

I wouldn't assume that investment in college will out-preform investment in a Land Cruiser. Both can be crappy. On-line degrees will flood the market just like S.A. Land Cruisers. Enjoyment wise, you can't lose with the Land Cruiser. Only thing worse, an expensive girlfriend.
But I do echo the advice, be liquid in your funds, and ready.

In retrospect I have to agree the investment in a college degree could be a very bad decision.

Keep saving, educate yourself on what to look for and if the right one pops up and you have the money, buy it.

I’ve been watching the market for a few years and there have been 2 amazing deals that both sold within a day. They were great trucks at a great price. One was $12k and the other $18k.
I just posted a craigslist find in Northern Nevada if you're willing to travel for it. $9k 1979 and it looks very good imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom