Wanted Advice on 78 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi,
I came across this 1978 FJ40 for sale locally and in the process of trying to do a little research discovered your forum and a wealth of Toyota FJ40 knowledge well above mine. I would appreciate it if any of you could take a look at the link below and let me know what you think about the quality of the work performed, it's value, and anything else that you think may be relevant.
1978 Toyota FJ40 for sale serving San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, Palo Alto, Fremont, and Saratoga, CA FJ40269326 - Stevens Creek Scion.
thanks,
Jon

Rear fender wells look strange. Especially the wheel well lip. Also the rockers appear to be cut and then the rock sliders / plate put on? My guess is this is covering up something. I would ask for more detailed pics on the underside. Especially around the rockers, rear fender wells, and the rear sill. The rear frame member looks to have been cut for a hitch mount and painted red. So not sure what is going on there. Check the inside of the tub around the rear fender well seam.

Seems to be a premium price for something that is so so or might need a lot of work. Good luck.

Welcome to Madness :flipoff2:

See above and wrong year ambulance doors (round and straight corners), fully covered up black painted interior including bottom side of doors, not original roll bar, etc

:cheers:

I love that it has a "retail price".

I'd keep looking. That much questionable work on a 25k rig is bad enough but it's the shady crap you can't see that would worry me.

Exhaust job looks lazy run below frame, wheel wells cut as rorkis says.. could be ok with some wheel well fenders. You of course could do worse, these are becoming harder and harder to find. I like to find them unmodified, or at least modified with minimal work.

Yup and that's an aftermarket carb too. Didn't even get that far before but you're absolutly right. And putting the smog system back together is damn near impossible.

Save the photos and refer to them often as you keep looking, and compare them to the other 40s you find for sale. But whatever you do, KEEP LOOKING. And welcome to Mud, we're here to help :flipoff2:.

Last edited:
They had three of them on the lot. The red 78 was supposed to have been in the Toyota dealer's show room for the past ten years. It was not originally painted red. The sales guy stated it would pass smog testing. He mentioned taking to some auction in Portland in a couple of weeks if it didn't sell off the lot. I didn't get into any price negotiations with him as I wanted to do some research first.
The blue 1970 was there as well for the same asking price, which he claimed was all original. There was another FJ40 there as well. Here is the dealer link;
3 New and Used cars, trucks, and SUVs in Stock Serving San Jose, CA - American Motors

Looks like a good deal. Would check it out in person. Make sure it passes Cali emissions. Also see what the history is of it.

Looks like a good deal. Would check it out in person. Make sure it passes Cali emissions. Also see what the history is of it.

I agree. It looks very clean and is a great price for an '82. Be careful of scam ads though. If it is what is represented it will likely sell fast. Go look at it as soon as possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom